Daddy daycare

hordak

Market research. Would you put you kids in a home daycare run by men?

So to earn some additional income for the family I am thinking of starting a home daycare business with a friend of mine (who is also male). All people running a home daycare here take the same class to earn the right to register. They all have the same requirements, access to the same equipment, food allowance, and have the same inspections.

The only difference would be gender.

The employees would be me ,who has raised 2 kids,as the at home parent. One of each gender, from birth to age 5 and 4 thus far and my partner who currently works for the CDC.

This is the main daycare and organization that oversees the home daycares.

He's been there for 2 or 3 years and could possibly walk out the door with some of his clients.

my kids aren't in daycare but my decision would not be gender based if they had to go to one. how well do i know the care givers, how many kids are they watching, ages, what is the environment, all the standard stuff... then it would come down to how my kids felt about the person.

there are a couple ym here i wouldn't object to babysitting my kids, their sis usually gets the job but it's more cause she says she will, the boys have never expressed an interest. the decision is more i trust that family than the gender, i would ask one of their sons before i would call a different family if needed.

one of my boys i would likely be more interested in a daycare that had a male on staff, than exclusively female. from the day he was born he was a man's baby. he does well with men, and needs that influence around. i've actually considered talking to the school to see if we have any male kindergarten teachers for him when he starts school.

my kids aren't in daycare but my decision would not be gender based if they had to go to one. how well do i know the care givers, how many kids are they watching, ages, what is the environment, all the standard stuff... then it would come down to how my kids felt about the person.

there are a couple ym here i wouldn't object to babysitting my kids, their sis usually gets the job but it's more cause she says she will, the boys have never expressed an interest. the decision is more i trust that family than the gender, i would ask one of their sons before i would call a different family if needed.

one of my boys i would likely be more interested in a daycare that had a male on staff, than exclusively female. from the day he was born he was a man's baby. he does well with men, and needs that influence around. i've actually considered talking to the school to see if we have any male kindergarten teachers for him when he starts school.

The unique thing about this situation is that all home daycare's are basically a franchise of the CDC and therefore are all the same with the exception of the provider. Ages and numbers of kids are regulated to a tee. The kids, depending on age must have so much time of art, of reading, of exercise, quiet or nap time etc. per day. The food is subsidized and universally applied. The toys are provided and a time sheet is given at the end of the day to the parents informing them of everything from the what and how much their child ate at lunch to how many dirty diapers there were.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Care to elaborate. I should have added i know it isn't LDS theology approved but since most lds women stay home and are few in number this theology wouldn't be an issue.

I doubt anyone would say 'no' based on LDS theology. I just don't see that as an issue. It's a personal comfort level.

As for me, I don't know if I'd do it.

I agree with Wingnut. I would not be comfortable with it. And it isn't based on my theology, it's based on the LARGE number of sexual predators who are male. (I'm NOT saying all males are sexual predators). I might be okay with a male day care provider who was working at a larger center with several women around, but I would not be comfortable with an at-home daycare center (where the provider is usually the only adult there) that was run by a man. He will be intimately touching my child (diaper changes) and I would just not be comfortable with it. I'd be too worried that he was an un-caught sexual predator who started the day care to gain easy access to kids.

Interesting question Hordak. I can see pros and cons to it. From a mom's perspective..I think I would have a hard time with men changing my daughter's clothes or changing her diaper. It's one thing for a male family member, quite a different when it comes to someone who is not related. Perhaps that is just a society learned thing that I am following..I don't know. But then some could argue that famly members are ones that would have more of a tendency to any kind of abuse...so again I don't know.

But many men can be just as nurturing with children as women can. In fact some are more so. When my kids were younger (out of diapers etc) I had a young man from our ward that would babysit. He was the best babysitter I ever had.

I think I would lean more towards what Gwen said. Do I feel comfortable with the care that my children would get?

Edited by pam

I didn't say I wouldn't...I said I didn't know. I'm undecided. But it has absolutely squat to do with theology.

I'm not saying everyone makes their decisions based on theology but that it can have influence. In fact many of the local churches here provide daycare/ after school care.

I don't like daycare period. But if I were to have my child going to daycare I would not have a problem with it so long as they were people I could trust.

A lot of people mention the ties between males and sexual predators, but what about all the women who are physically abusing kids in their care? What about the woman in Chicago who threw a toddler to the floor, and he slowly died while at daycare? This is just as common as sexual abuse, so really the odds of something bad happening to your kids is the same no matter what gender the caretaker.

I won't put my kids in a daycare anyway, I don't trust anyone with my kids. But i'm not less or more inclined to trust a man as opposed to a woman, i'm equally paranoid. If I didn't have a problem with daycares in general, then I would probably let a man watch my kid.

It's interesting reading some of the responses. In 2000 i did a lot of damage to my back and legs and had to take time off from hard labor. at the same time a friend of mine was running into trouble finding child care and asked if i would mind taking care of his kids. He was LDS and i wasn't, his wife was very active in chruch and they had 5 kids. His wife wasn't thrilled but still i was better than nothing ( i was a 22 year old male at this point).

Over the next lil while i was put to the test, the kids were 1,3,7,8,9. 3 boys 2 girls. the youngest boy was in diapers and the youngest girl still needed to be bathed. There were some awkward moments with me having to bath the 2 girls now and then cause they insisted on bathing together (i'm able to tell embarassing stories to dates) and diaper changes and such.

Long story short, after my services were no longer needed their mother said i was the best they could have ever hoped for, the kids all say they got more from me than their father and the kids hate that they only see me every few months since mom got remarried. they are now 9,11,15,16,17. If mom had gone with her first worries, she admits her kids would have suffered greatly.

Right, sorry I forgot the "..." first in the quote but u did say all in that quote. Let me show u what I mean:

how sad that you think you all are sexual deviants waiting to happen.

(bold mine) then followed it with

We had better no let our children alone with their fathers also....

which carries with it the implications that you are saying all males. Am I wrong in what you were saying in that quote? I'm not offended Prospectmom I just don't like people putting words in my mouth that I didn't say or have any good rationale for saying that I implied without any support. We're cool Prospect :) :yinyan:

Thanks for the breakdown.... I can see where you are coming from.... How you read it not exactly how I ment it can I try again.....

I realize the stats... Does that mean we shouldn't leave our children alone with men givin the statistics... Does that phrase what I was thinkin better than what I said previously... I want to understand you and I want to be understood..... :}