I thought this would be a very interesting story for discussion

TheyCallMeMom

I am shocked that a child of that age would be even thinking of sex. But I have also seen this happening more often. and it is being acceptable for many. I dont know exactly what has cause such a climb in teen births and younger ages but it is very heart wreching to say the lest. I do to a point blame media for some of this along with children not having the proper role models and knowledge of what being a parent entails. There are movies our about pregant teens called Juno there is a show on ABC about a pregant teenager. the media has made many things seem glamourous and acceptable and easy . Which they are not at all. the sitcoms the talk shows all of it is becoming just and everyday thing to so many.

There was a pregancy pack of girls from the same school all made a pack to become pregant. I dont know if this is true or not and this is my opinion but they schools have taken out Home Ec from the school and I think that it has cause alot of trouble not only with girl and boys have children while still children but with the economy and health of many families. Many dont know how to cook a good meal from scratch so they buy fast food or conveince food . many dont know how to manage their time or how to do with what they have . Which in turn both parents end up having to work to pay for their wants not their needs and the children are raising themselve. Children atleast around where I live many dont baby sit anymore they dont know how much work it takes for a baby unless they have younger siblings and that still barly touches the surface of what goes in to raising a child.

I am in no way saying if both parents work it is a bad thing some have to and I understand that.

As I said this is just my opinion and how I see things .

one thing a friend of mine picked up on is the "shocker" isnt "young couple becomes parents"..

we have become accustomed to 15 year old girls having babies.. its just usually with 17 year old boys, not 13..

I know by watching my own children with siblings that he is probably a wonderful loving child.. he will most likely love that little girl to death.. He woudl take care of her to the best of his ability... but to take on the responsibilities as a father... .. wow.. thats just not going to happen for sometime

she is a darling little soul.. Love her name..

I pray it works out in the end.. I pray that Maisie doesnt have to grow up that fast

The baby is here now its too late for regrets, have to say have known middle aged fathers be less responsible if the papers are to be believed. Which if you are his parent is something to be proud of. He is doing what he can so far, and hasn't run, he didn't advocate an abortion. Have to say if my son got caught out at any age, I'd want him to behave in a similar fashion

The time for regrets was when society allowed sex outside of relationship to become mainstream

-Charley

I can only say I agree with what has been said. I feel for the infant.

Society has changed so much and I can't help but think that it is for the worst. I have worked yrs. in a medical clinic and I have performed numerous HSG (pregnancy tests) on teenagers. I will never forget one reply to the news that it was a positive test...."well I can get on welfare now" Needless to say I was just stunned.

no she has not admitted to anything she has been accused. When my brother was part of a media circus I know how many said they had slept with me I have still only had sex with my brother.

And yes I would be proud of my child who had made a mistake but had resolved not to have an abortion and do their best for the baby. 10 years ago there was a 13 year old who fathered twins to a 16 year old girl, the couple are still together and they have bought their first home together. and have another little girl.

-Charley

The ironic thing about this is it isn't something new. In the grand scheme of humanity it is the idea that one would wait until 20 or 30 to get married and have kids that is strange. (While this certainly isn't ideal for "our day.")

Ocationaly a story like this comes out to shock us. If anyone knows about the news their job isn't normally to show us the normal but the abnormal. This is why they ignore the 25 stop light fender benders and focus on the over tuned semi truck on the 6 o'clock news.

I actually think (though i have no studies to support it) that the opposite thing is happening. More and more couples are pushing the envelope the other way and having kids in their late 30s and 40s.

I wonder if kids are becoming more sexually active or if it is more in the news? I mean the reports say yes but since the questions are answered by the kids themselves and being a virgin is "not cool" the results could easily be exaggerated by lying. When i was in school and we got these servays we were with our friends and classmates. Suddenly everyone was "getting laid" once a week. Even the "math nerd" with no friends.

While teenage sex is "on the rise" teenage pregnancy has constantly declined.

So ether teens are lying on these servays or education about contraception (not that abstinence only junk (IMO)) is working.