Climate Change Threatens Our World

japacific

I have just been reading some articles on climate change. The consensus of the scientists agree that the threat is very real, however it should be mentioned also that the world is not warming up at all and that Global Warming is a myth.

Assuming that Global Warming is a genuine issue that threatens the world as we know it - How do you guysw feel about it? Does your faith influence your feelings on it? Are you worried about it and do you do your part in looking after the environment?

I would like to hear people's general feelings on the subject

There is disagreement as to what is causing global warming which leaves us wondering:

1. How much it will warm and for how long

2. If there is really anything man can do to change global warming.

In reality it has not been demonstrated to me that anything I do or that is done in any industral nation will without question make any difference. It is hard for me to be concerned about something I cannot have positive impact on.

BTW I have ridden a bicycle to work for over 25 years.

The Traveler

Assuming that Global Warming is a genuine issue that threatens the world as we know it - How do you guys feel about it? Does your faith influence your feelings on it? Are you worried about it and do you do your part in looking after the environment?

I think climate change is happening. Based on what study I've done on the issue, I think climate change does happen naturally but we're making the swings in the climate worse (picture a sine wave, then picture another with about 1.5 times the amplitude of the first).

I don't think my faith has much to do with climate change, but it does influence my environmental efforts.

I try to do my part in looking after the environment, but I tend to have a more simple, down to earth (haha) approach to it than most environmentalists do. I'm a big fan of simple, easy things to do, such as using less water, turning off the lights, and so on that don't cost any money to do. What I don't like is this obsession with carbon credits. Why pay somebody to offset your carbon when you could offset your own carbon without paying nearly as much?

Not even last days prophecies?:huh:

Perhaps if you take them all very literally. :P

Assuming that Global Warming is a genuine issue that threatens the world as we know it - How do you guys feel about it?

Um... let this suffice for my answer to that question:

...however it should be mentioned also that the world is not warming up at all and that Global Warming is a myth.

TYVM HAND

Does your faith influence your feelings on it? Are you worried about it and do you do your part in looking after the environment?

That's like asking me if my faith influences my gas mileage... Then again maybe I could do a study and find that Mormons tend to drive larger more gas guzzling vehicles?

Do I worry about it? Well I live in beautiful Colorado, and after I spent a good 4 days in Salt Lake this January during inversion and my throat is still sore... So yes I suppose I'm a bit worried about it. But I'm no activist... I do use florescant light bulbs and mildly support green power initiatives...

Not even last days prophecies?:huh:

While the scriptures warn of environmental turmoil in the last days, we cannot be sure that what is currently referred to as 'global warming' is the beginning of some apocalyptic world-wide catastrophe. It is possible, that in our lifetime, the trend could reverse (either by our reigning in of greenhouse gasses or some act of nature) and we could go clear to 2100 without the return of our LORD. Like the dust storms that passed over America about a century ago, the ozone holes that are now closing, or the global dimming of latter part of the 20th century, we could see that the Saviour will not come in the midst of the current environmental scenario.

What is simply stupid is the notion that we should simply be unconcerned about the environment because the end is so near. Those advocating such ideas are plainly the "eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" crowd. It would be a pretty big bummer if we ruin our children's capacity to produce wealth a century before the Saviour returns.

-a-train

Assuming that Global Warming is a genuine issue that threatens the world as we know it - How do you guysw feel about it?

I guess I don't understand the question. If, as you propose, we assume that global warming (or climate change, or whatever buzzword you want to use) is a genuine issue that threatens the world as we know it, well, how do you think we would feel? We would obviously feel concerned. After all, it's a GENUINE issue that THREATENS the world as we know it, right? At least, that's the assumption you've asked us to make.

I have just been reading some articles on climate change. The consensus of the scientists agree that the threat is very real, however it should be mentioned also that the world is not warming up at all and that Global Warming is a myth.

False.

There is not a scientific consensus.

Dr. Arthur Robinson, director of the Oregon Institute for Science and Medicine has circulated a petition, now signed by over 31,000 scientists. The petition, in part, reads:

"There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth."

Making things up or perpetuating untruths is not a nice thing.

I don't believe in "global warming" (as the earth is in a cooling trend right now), i do however believe we are making the earth ever increasingly more toxic with our waste. More and more species are becoming extinct everyday and third world poverty is making large areas of the world borderline-uninhabitable. This is all due to the consumerist way in which our societies are based upon, I think a real change in attitude is required and that we stop using the planet as recklessly as we do. Live more humble lives, less possessions, smaller cars etc etc and do more conservation work and more study into sciences that can help reduce our toxic footprint on this planet.

Heavenly Father is in control of the climate, im not saying we havent done things to put the enviorment in danger like poluting the soil, and water but im not buying it that we are changing the weather, one of the things that are supposed to happen in 2012 is the change of the planets now i strongly believe that this will have a huge impact on our climate and we will experience alot distruction.

Assuming that Global Warming is a genuine issue that threatens the world as we know it - How do you guysw feel about it? Does your faith influence your feelings on it? Are you worried about it and do you do your part in looking after the environment?

Doesn't mean a consensus is truth! Majority of the world resides in darkness no matter the claimed intelligence level.

The world is a preparatory state to become a Terrestrial world [saviors return]. If I could remove the entire carbon footprint from this environment, it would make no difference. Remember, the part of the galaxy we are in and the worlds that associated this area are Telestial level.

Edited by Hemidakota

The consensus of the scientists agree that the threat is very real....

B as in B, S as in S.

Sorry japacific. I work in education and I am encased every day at work by Global Warming teachers who push this notion onto young minds who don't yet know how to think objectively and logically. And of all the bunk and garbage arguments I hear that boils my blood, "The consensus of the scientists agree" is BY FAR the worst.

Here's why:

1) It just is not true. Start asking around. Seek out meteorologists, climatologists, chemists, and biologists and ask them their opinion. NONE of the ones I know believe the Global Warming is a threat. The ONLY people (I hear) claiming that "the consensus of the scientists agree" is NON-scientists, such as Al Gore, the vast majority of grade school teachers, Hollywood actors, and politicians.

2) Claiming consensus is nothing more then a way to shut down discussion. If you want to shut the other side up quickly, just say "Everyone agrees. The debate is over."

3) By claiming consensus long enough and loud enough, the weak-minded fall in line. "Oh really? Everyone agrees? I don't want to be the only one not agreeing. I guess I agree too, then."

The alarmist scare tactics of the global warming crowd is just downright pathetic. I know that sounds harsh, but there really is no better word for it.

Now......

All of that being said, I am a FIRM believer in being a good steward of our planet. One might even say I am an environmentalist, and I get upset when my political party turns their back on ideas such as renewable energy and oil independence.

How does climate change relate / fit into the Gospel?

We have been given this earth. It is our duty to be good stewards of our charge. Treat her with the same love and tender care you would a child or a loved one.

Janice

Guest missingsomething

They can prove that the climates are changing... what does this all mean? I dont know... But I know I have been taught to not be wasteful and to respect the world that has been given to me... just like I should respect my body...

I dont know whats all causing it... or if it anything as doom and gloom as they project it to be... but I do try to not be wasteful.

I recycle, I use cloth bags, I buy recycled products, I turn my lights off when not in use :) You know ... all the normal things. It maybe the only normal thing about me.

When you say "The consensus of the scientists agree that the threat is very real..." you should understand that not all scientists involved in climatology agree. In fact, most of them disagree strongly with the idea.

The problem is that global warming has become a political issue. As such, scientists can get much more money for their studies on it, whether it's legitimate or not.

Having said that, this is my personal opinion on the matter.

I have no problem in accepting global warming as a reality. After all, the globe has been warming ever since the last ice age...big deal. I seriously have an issue with the amount of blame that mankind has for it, however. Even the worst actual measurements of man-made greenhouse gasses pales in comparison to one or two volcanic eruptions in quantity. Since volcanoes have been around far longer than mankind has, why isn't the earth far warmer now than it should be, according to the doom-and-gloom scientists? Mount Pinatubo erupted and *might* have hurt the ozone layer by fractions of a single percent in strength. The eruption put out tons and tons more greenhouse gasses than mankind has over the years. I just don't think we can do that much damage to the earth.

First of all, nature is far more durable and adaptable than we understand it to be. After all, the insecticide and herbicide industry is constantly having to come up with new chemicals to help us keep our environment the way we want it.

Second, I don't think God would have been able to trust us with the earth if he knew we'd grow strong enough to destroy it.

Having said that, I do accept the notion that mankind ought to treat the earth respectfully. After all it's a gift to us from God; we have a responsibility to treat it well and value it.

While I don't hold with the 'man is evil for having cars and burning coal' group, I think God would be very happy if we were able to minimize our negative impact on the earth. I simply think He doesn't want us to do so with the unwarranted fear of destroying it.

I think electric cars would be great, but I don't think it's right to compel people to buy them out of guilt or shame for what they are doing to the earth.

What is the REAL agenda of those who so vehemently assert the notion of global warming? Are they truly convinced and innocently concerned? Is there a hidden agenda?

Also, what is the REAL agenda of those who so vehemently disavow the notion of global warming? Are they harboring a hidden agenda? Are they defending themselves against a perceived hidden agenda?

Why are we arguing about whether or not global warming is real, or whether it is caused by man? So what if it isn't and we lower our carbon dioxide emissions? What harm is there in that? Why is this issue so heated?

Has anyone read Al Gore's book?

-a-train

Edited by a-train

Why are we arguing about whether or not global warming is real, or whether it is caused by man? So what if it isn't and we lower our carbon dioxide emissions? What harm is there in that? Why is this issue so heated?

Heated...heh, heh...you made a funny...

The proposed "solutions" to global warming have the potential of being far worse than the "disease" they are supposed to be curing. If you think our current global economic crisis is uncomfortable, wait until energy is regulated the way the global warming crowd is agitating for. At that point, we will see true global economic devastation.

Now, if anthropogenic global warming is true and if it's a deleterious condition -- TWO VERY BIG "IF"S -- then we have no reasonable choice but to do whatever it takes to lower such emissions. All the so-called "anti-global-warming" crowd wants is reasonable, convincing evidence that global warming is (1) real, (2) anthropogenic in origin, and (3) deleterious. Seems a perfectly reasonable request to me.

Personally, I get very impatient with the know-nothing attitude of "Well, all the smart climate guys agree that it's probably anthropogenic", and even moreso when it's revealed that that isn't true. To my eyes, this looks all about political and economic power.

I know! I'll steal some uranium from the mill outside of my home town and build myself a nuclear car! No more emissions for me :) Unless you count the chilli with beans I ate for dinner....

Speaking of emissions - how come nobody's complaining about the excess methane being released into the atmosphere from the intestinal bacteria of our massive cow population?

What is the REAL agenda of those who so vehemently assert the notion of global warming? Are they truly convinced and innocently concerned? Is there a hidden agenda?

Also, what is the REAL agenda of those who so vehemently disavow the notion of global warming? Are they harboring a hidden agenda? Are they defending themselves against a perceived hidden agenda?

Has anyone read Al Gore's book?

-a-train

Because they want to tax it. think of all green house tax everyone is talking about$$$$$. plus when all the major natural disasters really start they want to tell us we did it and it has nothing to do with God or biblical prophcey.