Verify LDS Myths and Hoaxes

I received this today from the area Public Affairs Council. Seems rumors are on the rise. I have to admit I feel something coming....

Stop perpetuating LDS myths and hoaxes

By Emily W. Jensen

Published: Tuesday, Mar. 3, 2009

Have you heard the story about the youths who were generals in the war in heaven? Or about the photograph reported to be Joseph Smith? What about the one claiming that new scriptures have both The Proclamation on the Family and The Living Christ officially inserted after the Articles of Faith?

What tantalizes us to e-mail forward and/or blog about these LDS-theme rumors, myths, hoaxes, hearsay and urban legends? I actually have two minds about this. First I think sometimes people really want to find out if it's true, and therefore just use their blogs to broadcast "Is this accurate?" inquiries. I think that's cool and can be helpful in busting the myth. In reading some of the comments from "Hearsay of the Church," it's easy to see how quickly the new-scripture myth from above is nipped in the bud.

On the other hand, those who just quickly post or forward in order to pass on new "claims" can problematically perpetuate these rumors. This is not a new phenomenon: "It never ceases to amaze me how gullible some of our church members are in broadcasting these sensational stories or dreams or visions, some alleged to have been given to church leaders, past or present, supposedly from some person's private diary, without first verifying the report with proper church authorities. If our people want to be safely guided during these troublous times of deceit and false rumors, they must follow their leaders and seek for the guidance of the Spirit of the Lord." President Harold B. Lee said this, way back in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' General Conference priesthood meeting in October 1972.

A good example of passing on Mormon hearsay was the e-mail forward probably many of you saw in October concerning a sacrament meeting talk by President Packer: "The Boyd K. Packer Email -- "Mormon Myth of Not?" Someone asked if anyone could "Confirm or Deny?" the e-mail forward. Reading the comments, one quickly finds the answer: "President Packer has not approved the report of his talk or authorized its distribution. It is recommended that individuals follow the instruction, counsel and spirit of his recent October 2008 General Conference talk."

At the least, e-mail forwards or uninformed blogs posts can be annoying, but unfortunately the problem can grow into a kind of "Alarmist News" where "the aim of these mails is to foster anger against those that seem to threaten our ideals. It is part of a rhetoric based on lies, or at least on severe alterations of the truth ... before contributing to deceitful propaganda and inciting to hate, it is helpful to study the issues, check the facts and at least discern the nuances and the quotes out of context."

To help you "check the facts" and "study the issues," here are a few Web sites dedicated to dispel rampant Mormon myths:

• The FAIRMormon Wiki page on Rumors, Hoaxes, and Urban Legends (check out their treatment of the "youth as generals" myth)

• Shields Research on LDS Hoaxes and Myths

• The more general myth-busting Snopes.com

Be sure to check the reliability of the sources provided in the claim (if there are none, that's a bad sign), but if you have to pass it on, add caveat phrases or words such as "likely," "maybe" or "possible" (see for example this "Possible Photograph of Prophet Joseph"). Or perhaps the best thing you could do is to make it a habit to stay far, far away from that "forward" button to stop the perpetuation of Mormon myths.

Now join me as I try to accurately depict other posts from the Bloggernacle:

Power pick: So what's "The Newest LDS Urban Legend?" It's a pandemic of epic proportions!!! Note my redundant use of both words and punctuation; sounds like a perfect subject line for an e-mail myth. Anyway, bfwebster handled this urban legend skillfully. He checked the sources, looked at all sides of the story, updated his blog as new information came in, provided links to supplement his findings and warned about furthering misinformation. Check it out!

Forgotten gem: Whoa! We're headed clear back four and a half years to September 2004 when Jeff Lindsay warned to "Beware Faith Promoting Hoaxes." He discusses how "Latter-day Saints need to be cautious about believing faith-promoting rumors, even when they are dressed up with impressive details. Just because you got some story from somebody via e-mail or saw it on a Web page does not make it true. It's wise to wait for external confirmation or publication from a reputable source." Check out his links to various hoaxes and see his update just from last month!

Techie tip: And finally, you know how sometimes people misrepresent the LDS religion? Well the LDS.org Newsroom produced an informative 10-minute video for the journalists who were coming to cover the 2002 Olympics in Utah to help dispel some of the myths about Mormons. You can view it and learn more about it here: "Video Challenges Public Misperceptions, Explains Myths vs. Reality." You can click on the video tab to get the embeddable code for your own blog or just watch it to understand that while the misconceptions can be amusing, it is important to provide accurate information.

MormonTimes.com is produced by the Deseret News in Salt Lake City, Utah.

It is not an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Copyright © 2009 Deseret News Publishing Company

By Emily W. Jensen

A good example of passing on Mormon hearsay was the e-mail forward probably many of you saw in October concerning a sacrament meeting talk by President Packer: "The Boyd K. Packer Email -- "Mormon Myth of Not?" Someone asked if anyone could "Confirm or Deny?" the e-mail forward. Reading the comments, one quickly finds the answer: "President Packer has not approved the report of his talk or authorized its distribution.

I agree with this. Many off the cuff remarks may be highly embarrassing. How would we like it if everything we said was held as either sacrosanct or representative of our organization?

I received this today from the area Public Affairs Council. Seems rumors are on the rise. I have to admit I feel something coming....

By Emily W. Jensen

Have you heard the story about the youths who were generals in the war in heaven? Or about the photograph reported to be Joseph Smith? What about the one claiming that new scriptures have both The Proclamation on the Family and The Living Christ officially inserted after the Articles of Faith?

What tantalizes us to e-mail forward and/or blog about these LDS-theme rumors, myths, hoaxes, hearsay and urban legends? I actually have two minds about this. First I think sometimes people really want to find out if it's true, and therefore just use their blogs to broadcast "Is this accurate?" inquiries. I think that's cool and can be helpful in busting the myth. In reading some of the comments from "Hearsay of the Church," it's easy to see how quickly the new-scripture myth from above is nipped in the bud.

On the other hand, those who just quickly post or forward in order to pass on new "claims" can problematically perpetuate these rumors. This is not a new phenomenon: "It never ceases to amaze me how gullible some of our church members are in broadcasting these sensational stories or dreams or visions, some alleged to have been given to church leaders, past or present, supposedly from some person's private diary, without first verifying the report with proper church authorities. If our people want to be safely guided during these troublous times of deceit and false rumors, they must follow their leaders and seek for the guidance of the Spirit of the Lord." President Harold B. Lee said this, way back in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' General Conference priesthood meeting in October 1972.

A good example of passing on Mormon hearsay was the e-mail forward probably many of you saw in October concerning a sacrament meeting talk by President Packer: "The Boyd K. Packer Email -- "Mormon Myth of Not?" Someone asked if anyone could "Confirm or Deny?" the e-mail forward. Reading the comments, one quickly finds the answer: "President Packer has not approved the report of his talk or authorized its distribution. It is recommended that individuals follow the instruction, counsel and spirit of his recent October 2008 General Conference talk."

At the least, e-mail forwards or uninformed blogs posts can be annoying, but unfortunately the problem can grow into a kind of "Alarmist News" where "the aim of these mails is to foster anger against those that seem to threaten our ideals. It is part of a rhetoric based on lies, or at least on severe alterations of the truth ... before contributing to deceitful propaganda and inciting to hate, it is helpful to study the issues, check the facts and at least discern the nuances and the quotes out of context."

To help you "check the facts" and "study the issues," here are a few Web sites dedicated to dispel rampant Mormon myths:

• The FAIRMormon Wiki page on Rumors, Hoaxes, and Urban Legends (check out their treatment of the "youth as generals" myth)

• Shields Research on LDS Hoaxes and Myths

• The more general myth-busting Snopes.com

Be sure to check the reliability of the sources provided in the claim (if there are none, that's a bad sign), but if you have to pass it on, add caveat phrases or words such as "likely," "maybe" or "possible" (see for example this "Possible Photograph of Prophet Joseph"). Or perhaps the best thing you could do is to make it a habit to stay far, far away from that "forward" button to stop the perpetuation of Mormon myths.

Now join me as I try to accurately depict other posts from the Bloggernacle:

Power pick: So what's "The Newest LDS Urban Legend?" It's a pandemic of epic proportions!!! Note my redundant use of both words and punctuation; sounds like a perfect subject line for an e-mail myth. Anyway, bfwebster handled this urban legend skillfully. He checked the sources, looked at all sides of the story, updated his blog as new information came in, provided links to supplement his findings and warned about furthering misinformation. Check it out!

Forgotten gem: Whoa! We're headed clear back four and a half years to September 2004 when Jeff Lindsay warned to "Beware Faith Promoting Hoaxes." He discusses how "Latter-day Saints need to be cautious about believing faith-promoting rumors, even when they are dressed up with impressive details. Just because you got some story from somebody via e-mail or saw it on a Web page does not make it true. It's wise to wait for external confirmation or publication from a reputable source." Check out his links to various hoaxes and see his update just from last month!

Techie tip: And finally, you know how sometimes people misrepresent the LDS religion? Well the LDS.org Newsroom produced an informative 10-minute video for the journalists who were coming to cover the 2002 Olympics in Utah to help dispel some of the myths about Mormons. You can view it and learn more about it here: "Video Challenges Public Misperceptions, Explains Myths vs. Reality." You can click on the video tab to get the embeddable code for your own blog or just watch it to understand that while the misconceptions can be amusing, it is important to provide accurate information.

It is not an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Copyright © 2009 Deseret News Publishing Company

Even the sights listed is no more better in giving a honest answer or prove something that is not a myth. Snoops has no creditability but it does remind me of Consumer Report who always seems to eat their own belching lunch when it comes to ridding the rumor of quality autos.

Even the sights listed is no more better in giving a honest answer or prove something that is not a myth. Snoops has no creditability but it does remind me of Consumer Report who always seems to eat their own belching lunch when it comes to ridding the rumor of quality autos.

Good Point

The idea these myths are becoming a problem could be a myth in itself since it comes from another unofficial source, mass email format.

Irony^_^

The idea these myths are becoming a problem could be a myth in itself since it comes from another unofficial source, mass email format.

It is not a myth that the spread of these stories is a problem. We've seen it here on this very site. It is a problem.

So if I understand correctly, there are myths about the myths and misunderstandings about the myth corrections concerning the original myth.

I am getting so confused, how then am I supposed to know what is myth and what is a myth about the truth of the original myth?

So if I understand correctly, there are myths about the myths and misunderstandings about the myth corrections concerning the original myth.

I am getting so confused, how then am I supposed to know what is myth and what is a myth about the truth of the original myth?

There even myths concerning doctrines in the church when in fact the earlier brethren were correct.

It is not a myth that the spread of these stories is a problem. We've seen it here on this very site. It is a problem.

This site. Another unofficial site (there is a disclaimer on the home page).

My response was actually intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek but Hemi brought up a good point.

The sites listed to dispel the myths are as official as the sites that spread the myths to begin with.

The fact that the spreading is being done on unofficial sites does not discount that it is happening. In fact, I think that's the whole point of the OP: if it's not on an official Church site, don't spread it!

I would agree. But i would also add don't go to an unofficial site to dispel it either.

How is information disseminated in the Kingdom of G-d? The answer is that such things are done by covenant. It is interesting to me that so many saints do not know or understand their covenant. Just so everyone can understand the LDS covenant it is called the “oath and covenant of the priesthood”. This is given in Doctrine and Covenants – section 84 verses 35-37.

If this is not clear – because some have problems with logic – we are not under covenant to “receive” our information concerning the “Kingdom” from the internet, the news media, or our friend Bob. We receive our information concerning the Kingdom from the Father through Jesus Christ through his servants. Who are the servants of Jesus Christ? They are the ordained officers of the priesthood.

I suggest and encourage that all keep the covenants that they have made before G-d. If you keep your covenants you are protected by the folly and foolishness of the world.

The Traveler

By Jove, I think you've got it! :lol:

By Jove, I think you've got it! :lol:

Thx. Moksha, I almost myth it and my eyes were starting to myth up.

After reading all that has been written about this subject, I never ever want to be mythtaken by reading or peddling a somewhat mythicial unapproved source. ^_^

Instead I shall obey the counsel of church leaders methinks.:trustme: