Any one else anti television?

MissKitty

I never ever watch TV... except for 24. And NCIS. Not to mention bones. And prison break. Oh, and numbers, CSI miami, CSI NY, The mentalist, Mythbusters, A load of documentaries, BBC news, The simpsons and Family guy. Apart from that, I never watch TV!

But seriously, I don't think TV is all that bad. I think it can be quite therapeutic, if I get frustrated by something, watching one episode of the above TV series often puts things into perspective. And contrary to what the above paragraph implies, I don't watch much TV. I have seen all the above TV series, but over several years, I only watch a couple of hours a week max really.

Someone in my ward once said "there is absolutely nothing on TV worth watching" during a lesson, I didn't say anything but I completely disagreed with him. There are some very educational things on TV, I gained one of the most important things I've ever learnt from the TV.

Fishing shows? Doesn't that rank up there with watching paint dry? :P

Haha. Some would agree with that assessment. I grew up in Kansas, though, and spent much of my childhood wrangling bass and catfish out of old farmers' ponds. I miss it and never get the chance anymore.

In fact, I have a buddy coming over with his backhoe in a couple weeks to dig me my OWN pond out in my back acreage! Woohoo!

I can't wait to sit on the bank with my 4 boys, catching fish and talkin' 'bout life!

I watch some TV, usually things on the History Channel(I have 3 of them with Verizon FIOS), Mythbusters, shows on PBS, some Food Network shows, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and the CSI shows. I hate most reality shows, and any show where people dance or sing in a contest. If I want to watch dancing, a local PBS station does show professional ballroom dancing where both partners are professional.

Since I don't want to pay for HBO and other premium channels, I often wait for shows like Big Love(sorry) and The Tudors to come out on DVD to rent.

Edited by ADoyle90815
fixed typo

What is anti television? If you bring anti television to a television would you get a big explosion. ...and for every television built is there an anti television to balance the universe. Be careful out there.:lol::lol:

However, if we use really small amounts of each, modulate them through dilithium crystals and feed it directly to the warp core which will then transfer warp power to the plasma injectors, then we can get from here to there much faster.

I don't know about anyone else (all my neighbors have cable or satellite) but i am under the impression the switch to digital is meant to force all of us who are "too cheap" to buy T.V. into doing it.

I have the box, the new antenna and sure the picture "looks great" for the 3 seconds it is up before it freezes or the box tells me it lost the channel.:mad:

I miss the fuzzy tv.

However, if we use really small amounts of each, modulate them through dilithium crystals and feed it directly to the warp core which will then transfer warp power to the plasma injectors, then we can get from here to there much faster.

I think someone watches entirely too much tv. :P

I think there are some shows in tv that are worth to watch, there are some documentals and educative programs, but I also think tv is one of the reason of the bad behavior of some of the young people, Im 21 and I see tv rules some of my classmates' lives,(they wanna act this or that way just because they saw it on tv) plus TV is "brainwashing" on political matters too..

that's my opinion.

I don't know about anyone else (all my neighbors have cable or satellite) but i am under the impression the switch to digital is meant to force all of us who are "too cheap" to buy T.V. into doing it.

I have the box, the new antenna and sure the picture "looks great" for the 3 seconds it is up before it freezes or the box tells me it lost the channel.:mad:

I miss the fuzzy tv.

A few months ago my phone company kept calling me and trying to convince me to add TV to my phone and DSL service. I said "no," but they seemed incredulous. But I'd have to buy the converter box if I didn't get their TV service, they said. I told them better a one-time $10 purchase (I used a government coupon) than have to pay however much they were charging EVERY MONTH for their service. Plus, how many channels do I need? I really don't watch that much TV, so why pay for what I'm not using?

I don't blame them for doing their job (trying to sell me their product), but honestly, once I've made it clear I'm not interested, can't they let it go?

HEP

I must say, our TV gets a whole lot of use in our home. My LO loves to watch TV and I think its actually educational for him - he watches kids shows, primarily YO Gabba Gabba on the Treehouse channel.

My husband and I - we love to watch documentaries, A&E, history channel etc. I find that TV can be very educational and if not for shows like these, I would not have half the knowledge I do now.

I also like tv strictly for entertainment purposes too - its does not have to have a purpose or educational value, simply for enjoyment. I am a fan of American Idol, Survivor, Law and Orders and yes, The View. I also watch CNN and other news shows - if I didn't, I would not really know much about what is going on in this world. I also LOVE watching movies.

TVS, They eat time, are mind numbing and in my opinion the worst invention of the twenty-first centuary. Think what the world would be like if TVs hadn't been invented.

Families would be left with no choice but to spend time together doing some thing "fun" on an evening :o

People would have lots of spare time on their hands and would have to pursue new hobbies and learn new skills! :o

And shock of shock we all wouldn't have brainless advertisement songs stuck in our heads.

Nor would we have to sit through mind numbing TV for the sake of doing some thing instead we'd have to consider the alternatives.

Oh and there wouldn't be a great huge dark screen dominating our living space !

Perhaps I'm just bad at managing my time, perhaps I lack the strength to do constructive things and avoid pursuing ambitions and go for the easy option. But arn't we all a little guilty of those things from time to time?

I got a letter through the post today asking me to renew my TV licence and it made me stop and think, do I even want a TV?

Really the answer for me is no and I wondered if I am a lone in this descision?

Television is not the problem here but people who spend time in wasting on anything that is not eternal related.

Funny that you mention TV and how it dominates.

I have made the choice that as soon as I have a home of my own. I will not have a huge TV dominating my livingroom. My Dad has one for work that is only about 12" square and im going to get one like that. I will have a small box beside my chair, which the TV will be put in, along with anything else to do with it. I will take it out when there is something on that I really want to see. Otherwise it will be in its box.

I feel that part of the problem with TV is that it is always sitting there, right in front of you and its just easier to hit a button to turn it on, than to pick up a book or do a jigsaw or whatever. By only bringing it out when I really want to see something, it forces me to have to make the choice to bring it out and set it up.

I also plan to use a smaller room in my flat for my livingroom and setting up my furniture with cosy conversation in mind. My real livingroom will be turned into a formal dining room, as it is next to the kitchen. My dining room will also be for group activities and games. My computer will also be in there.

I see my livingroom as a place to relax, not to sit zombified in front of a TV. I will probably be listening to the radio more often than not. At least with radio, I can do other things, like my housework or a hobby. If I want to sit in front of a big screen, I will go out to the cinema. I have a yearly pass that lets me watch as many movies as I want. I want to limit my 'easy choices' and fill my days with worth while things.

Im kinda looking at how the missionaries live and using that as my template for how I will do my own home. Obviously I will have a TV, computer and other things like that, But feel that I want to fill my life with more useful things, like scripture study, hobbies, church activities, working out and generally trying to keep the spirit always.

This might not be ideal for everyone, But as I will be on my own, I think its perfect.