Car salesmen

Misshalfway

I sold cars last summer. I tried to be the nice car salesman. No pressure. Super at ease. People don't buy from those. I was continually shocked to find that they bought from another salesman at a different dealership who was super pushy. They even regretted it and apologized to me. The reality is that most people buy from the pushy jerks, and therefore they are the main guys who stay in the business.

-a-train

This is very true, the technique has to work otherwise they simply wouldn't do it. Some people are gullible and some don't know how to say no and the salesmen jump on this. Fortunately I have neither of these issues - I've been a little paranoid since my early teen days due to certain things, there is no chance I'll ever actually trust the salesman (even if I know him because I'm a regular there). And I will say I'm not interested if I'm really not and if they carry on after I've said no twice, I'll just walk away or hang up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that seemingly every car salesman is a jerk?

I am just wondering. Is it something in the job description; "Must be a sexist pig to apply."

We just bought a new car after having spent the last few weeks shopping around and I think I have had my fill of salesman and all the shmooz! I told my kids that they were not allowed to grow up and become a car salesman, because the second they did it would turn them into jerk.

I perhaps may have been overreacting.... but just maybe.

You must be very unlucky then, the car salesman that I went to was very nice and helpful, I've been back to him when I had car trouble because he wanted to see if it was something basic that he could fix before I paid heaps of money to get it checked out. He couldn't fix it, but I know I can rely on him.

He's the only car salesman I've ever dealt with though.

However, there was a more negative aspect they had in their technique: They also tended to come across as (the way i put it then, vacuum cleaner salesmen). Although they tended to find a lot of people, I felt uneasy about their brash technique, which seemed often plain rude. I recognize there is great wisdom in being firm and unafraid, unapologetic and bold in one's teaching of the gospel, but I also found wisdom in the counsel spoken here:

That reminded me of when I went out with the missionaries about three years ago now. I was sitting in a discussion in which the missionaries asked the guy to read the BoM. Later on in the discussion, the guy presented the missionaries with a book on religion which he'd found interesting (it wasn't an attempt to bash the church, merely asking their opinion of it) and gave it to them and asked them to read it. They gave it straight back to him and one replied "I do this for 11 hours a day, when I get back, I just want to go to sleep, I don't really have time to read another book".

While his reply was truthful, I did notice the irony in the fact that the missionaries had just asked him to read their book, but they in turn refused to read his. Had I been the investigator, I think I wouldn't have invited them back :P

When I was putting myself through college I sold furniture at the JC Penny Company. I hate to say this but most people that came into buy some furniture were idiots and did not have a clue what they really wanted. If you gave them everything they asked for – they would end up hating you for it. It is kind of like raising kids. You spoil them and let them have what they want they will just blame you for them making a dumb choice. The only customer I felt should have what they want is the one that would walk into the store and say pardon me Mr. Salesperson, I want to buy this sofa and have it delivered tomorrow.

The forever problems were the customers that would complain and ask why they could get the exact same sofa from low end sales for $300 cheaper. So if the salesperson responded that the other sofa was made from pine instead of maple with inferior construction they thought you were pressuring them.

Once in a while someone would come along and ask what to look for in buying a sofa. They were a lot of fun to work with and teach how to identify a good sofa. I would tell them once you know what a good sofa is then you can pick among the good sofas to determine what would look best in your home.

I think it is the same with most things that people buy. They seldom do their homework first and have no clue what car they really want – as long as it is red.

The Traveler

I don't trust any sales people. If I want to buy something and don't know much about it, I google everything I don't understand before I go shopping. I will not take a sales persons word for anything without clarification from an unbiased source.

I've never had chance to have an issue with car salesmen, however telemarketers is a different story. While it's not a marketing tactic I would do personally, I accept that the people who do it are doing it to make a living. This does not excuse the lies a lot of them come up with in order to get put through to the person who can authorise sales in the first place ("he asked me to call back today", "he is expecting my call", "it's a personal call", "don't worry I'm not selling anything") and does not excuse them ignoring you when you say you aren't interested in their services and then carrying on trying to sell it to you.

The reason I always research any product I don't fully understand before I go out to buy it is not just because I believe salesmen will twist the truth, but also because they often genuinely don't know the product they are trying to sell very well (which is quite understandable for some of them, they are often only given the basic information about the product) and will make an answer up in order to prevent their embarassment.

Oh and the other thing... no salesman has ever made a sale out of me by approaching me first... if I want something, I will go to them. If they approach me without any indication I actually want their services, I will not look into their company again. I just don't trust people who do that.

I take it that you don't own any life insurance then?

- Most agents don't know their own product. (This is VERY true about life insurance.)

- There's too many "half truths" on the internet to get a full idea of what you're really looking to do. (But agents tell "half truths" about insurance as well.)

- 100% of life insurance is sold via "agent solicitation" meaning that the public doesn't actively seek out the purchase of life insurance.

Does this mean you shouldn't own any or buy any from a well-meaning insurance agent that calls you?

(Just a small case in point.)

That's probably why I have all my insurance policies with the same agent. From life insurance, to mobile home insurance to car insurance. I LOVE my agent and his staff. I've gotten nothing but great service from them. Of course I haven't had to file a claim yet. (knock on wood) But I would expect the same great service even then.

Guest TheLutheran

We buy all our vehicles (both farm and personal) through the fleet department at our local dealer. It goes something like this: "We want one of these (year/make/model/options/color). Do you have one or can you get one? What's the cash/no trade price today?" No games, no gimmicks, great deals. :sunny:

- 100% of life insurance is sold via "agent solicitation" meaning that the public doesn't actively seek out the purchase of life insurance.

Not entirely accurate. DH and I have life insurance through his employer. That was simply among the list of options we could take when he became eligible for benefits.

I actually sought out a life insurance policy. It was not offered through any employer and felt important to have some kind of coverage in case something happened to me that my kids would be taken care of until they could support themselves.

That reminded me of when I went out with the missionaries about three years ago now. I was sitting in a discussion in which the missionaries asked the guy to read the BoM. Later on in the discussion, the guy presented the missionaries with a book on religion which he'd found interesting (it wasn't an attempt to bash the church, merely asking their opinion of it) and gave it to them and asked them to read it. They gave it straight back to him and one replied "I do this for 11 hours a day, when I get back, I just want to go to sleep, I don't really have time to read another book".

While his reply was truthful, I did notice the irony in the fact that the missionaries had just asked him to read their book, but they in turn refused to read his. Had I been the investigator, I think I wouldn't have invited them back :P

It was also very possibly against the rules for him to have done so (read the book in question) anyway, well at least it would have been in my mission (which I must confess may not have been applicable to his). Most I knew would reciprocate pamphlets though which I suppose depending on how you want to pick the nits was technically against the rule. Interestingly enough never heard anything against "You go to my Church and I'll stop by yours.", though I could have seen getting a no and having that kiboshed by the higher ups.

I wonder what sounds better, "I do this constantly and don't really have time to read that book." or "Its actually against the rules to read anything but a rather small list of approved books and I can ask the Mission President if I can read this but there is a good chance I won't get permission."

Edited by Dravin

Ok. So I get that not EVERY salesman in the world is a jerk. Pale.....you are off my hit list. And I get that they will do anything to make the deal. I am not even talking about that. I think one can work a deal without being a jerk.

I am talking about the kind of salesman that talks down to you just because you are a woman. Heck, we were buying a mini van! Who do they think was going to drive the dang thing? You'd think they were bright enough to cater to the woman! We went to one dealership and the guy wouldn't even shake my hand once I extended it. He talked exclusively with my husband. He would even answer my questions to my husband. My husband thought he was a jerk too and we told him we weren't interested in doing business with him considering four other guys could beat his price. That's when he got rude and arrogant.

He was the worst of the bunch. But I must say I felt I was going back in time with regards to how women are treated.

I am also talking about the kind that will be sooo helpful before they make the deal and completely hard to work with after you sign papers. They kind that dodge the agreements they made and make you look like you are bothering them when you call.

Ok. So I get that not EVERY salesman in the world is a jerk. Pale.....you are off my hit list. And I get that they will do anything to make the deal. I am not even talking about that. I think one can work a deal without being a jerk.

I am talking about the kind of salesman that talks down to you just because you are a woman. Heck, we were buying a mini van! Who do they think was going to drive the dang thing? You'd think they were bright enough to cater to the woman! We went to one dealership and the guy wouldn't even shake my hand once I extended it. He talked exclusively with my husband. He would even answer my questions to my husband. My husband thought he was a jerk too and we told him we weren't interested in doing business with him considering four other guys could beat his price. That's when he got rude and arrogant.

He was the worst of the bunch. But I must say I felt I was going back in time with regards to how women are treated.

I am also talking about the kind that will be sooo helpful before they make the deal and completely hard to work with after you sign papers. They kind that dodge the agreements they made and make you look like you are bothering them when you call.

I agree with you Misshalfway, this particulair guy does sound like a jerk.

My old girlfriend always did her homework and has for years to the T's when purchasing an automobile, as I think many women do.

You would think that type of car-salesmen would get a clue nowadays and let that stigma about women being ignorant about such things go.

Sadly I think many in the parts/service department still try to take advantage of women.

My old girlfriend always did her homework and has for years to the T's when purchasing an automobile, as I think many women do.

You would think that type of car-salesmen would get a clue nowadays and let that stigma about women being ignorant about such things go.

Sadly I think many in the parts/service department still try to take advantage of women.

Thank you. I just needed a little validation. sniff sniff. :D

I agree with you on that one. That's why I ask my brother in law about things. I know he won't steer me wrong. Or will he? :lol:

I leave car stuff to my husband, since he knows about that and I don't, mechanics having the reputation they do for scamming the unknowledgeable customer.

Happens in my line of work a lot too... can I say pcworld? Really hate that company.

Anyway here are a couple of examples that made me chuckle a bit. Basically a technician rigged a computer to appear broken. The problem was simple to fix, required no new hardware and should probably have cost about £20 (about $35) for the call out fee and that's it. So he placed secret cameras around the house and called a guy in to fix it who had previously been reported for potentially scamming customers. This is the result... it's in two videos and the end is really quite funny as he is approached about it:

Part one:

Part two:

It was also very possibly against the rules for him to have done so (read the book in question) anyway, well at least it would have been in my mission (which I must confess may not have been applicable to his). Most I knew would reciprocate pamphlets though which I suppose depending on how you want to pick the nits was technically against the rule. Interestingly enough never heard anything against "You go to my Church and I'll stop by yours.", though I could have seen getting a no and having that kiboshed by the higher ups.

I wonder what sounds better, "I do this constantly and don't really have time to read that book." or "Its actually against the rules to read anything but a rather small list of approved books and I can ask the Mission President if I can read this but there is a good chance I won't get permission."

He wouldn't have been allowed to read the book. The mission field rules have not changed drastically for some time now. It would have sounded better if he'd actually said that, but the response he gave basically implied he couldn't be bothered and in all fairness it's probably what he meant as well. Not really a good impression. Incidently, they didn't have any success with the guy in question, I never saw him again.

Not much car buying experience, but the best service I ever got from a mechanic was when I went in for a tune-up right after work having forgotten to remove my work ID badge, which had "Utah Attorney General's Office" plastered across the front in big letters.

As if THAT matters......the schmooze is just packaged differently for guys (we, afterall..have no brains), and also differently for women. Creepy sales people are not gender biased............:deadhorse:

Consider the case of godaddy dot com with their "godaddy girls". Its the same stuff sort of thing. You get inferior web hosting, but you do get phone tech support :). The girlvertising is obnoxious. It sends up red flags for me.