Flies are people too

Churchmouse

That's what MASH's Radar might say. Actually, the PETA representastive said flies are animals too. This was their response to President Obama swatting a fly during a news interview. Doesn't defending flies diminish the credibility of PETA? My personal opinion is that they're a bunch of nuts anyway. Of course, this is the view of someone that lives on a farm.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

That's what MASH's Radar might say. Actually, the PETA representastive said flies are animals too. This was their response to President Obama swatting a fly during a news interview. Doesn't defending flies diminish the credibility of PETA? My personal opinion is that they're a bunch of nuts anyway. Of course, this is the view of someone that lives on a farm.

I can't wait till they start protecting the broccoli and other vegetables and plant life. Those poor helpless creatures! Its not their fault they can't communicate their pain! Who are we to take it upon ourselves to kill them, while assuming they're a "lower form of life"?:mad:

Edited by MikeUpton

I am a mass murderer as far as PETA is concerned. Saw Andy Dick on tv today protesting McDonalds for their inhumane treatment of chickens. Who is Andy Dick anyway? A comedian? Never seen him be funny. While I love the internet and the things I have learned there I am all for going back to print media only. No tv, no pop culture, etc.

Ben Raines

PETA has only been useful as comic relief for quite some time now. The last person I knew personally who took them or their ideas seriously was about 15 years ago. (They might have been less obviously useless back then.)

I think I knew that same person. She has since had some therapy.

-a-train

I am a mass murderer as far as PETA is concerned. Saw Andy Dick on tv today protesting McDonalds for their inhumane treatment of chickens. Who is Andy Dick anyway? A comedian? Never seen him be funny. While I love the internet and the things I have learned there I am all for going back to print media only. No tv, no pop culture, etc.

Ben Raines

Yeah, they tried to get me to sign their petition to pass a federal law mandating that chickens be killed in gas chambers (rather than the various methods now employed). Talk about the nanny state! Uncle Sam will tell us how to kill a chicken!?!?!?

What is funny is I asked the volunteer: "So you want to tell all the farmers how to kill their chickens and force them to use some machine made by some corporate beneficiary of this law?" His response was: "Well, the farmers don't kill the chickens."

-a-train

Back in college, my buddy's girlfriend was a real piece of work. The 3 of us ate burgers at McDonald's, then went to the Greek Festival. She threw a fit upon seeing the roasting pig on a stick - even to the extent of shouting "murderers" a few times. It didn't even phase her when I reminded her about what she had for lunch. Somehow, the fact that she didn't have to see what turned a cow into a hamburger made that OK, and having to look at the pig made that murder.

I wonder how PETA feels about killer whales that will take a seal pup and torture it for hours and even play with it after it is dead before deciding to eat it. I will believe they are serious when they start protesting killer whales in the wild and getting in their faces.

The Traveler

Yeah, they tried to get me to sign their petition to pass a federal law mandating that chickens be killed in gas chambers (rather than the various methods now employed). Talk about the nanny state! Uncle Sam will tell us how to kill a chicken!?!?!?

What is funny is I asked the volunteer: "So you want to tell all the farmers how to kill their chickens and force them to use some machine made by some corporate beneficiary of this law?" His response was: "Well, the farmers don't kill the chickens."

-a-train

I have contracted work in a slaughter house (for beef and I assume the same is for chickens). The animal must be killed in a way that they bleed out before they die – otherwise the meat must be rejected by the federal inspectors for human consumption. No way can an animal be killed by gas.

BTW I know this sounds gruesome but the beef would be skinned and cut in half following the bleeding out and the limbs of some of the beast would still be twitching. The truth is that the cattle are knocked out before anything happens and they never feel a thing.

The Traveler

I have contracted work in a slaughter house (for beef and I assume the same is for chickens). The animal must be killed in a way that they bleed out before they die – otherwise the meat must be rejected by the federal inspectors for human consumption. No way can an animal be killed by gas.

BTW I know this sounds gruesome but the beef would be skinned and cut in half following the bleeding out and the limbs of some of the beast would still be twitching. The truth is that the cattle are knocked out before anything happens and they never feel a thing.

The Traveler

While messy I always figured a hydraulic hammer would be a pretty painless way to go all things considered.

Hidden

I can't wait till they start protecting the broccoli and other vegetables and plant life. Those poor helpless creatures! Its not their fault they can't communicate their pain! Who are we to take it upon ourselves to kill them, while assuming they're a "lower form of life"?:mad:

I'm joking of course, but with some of the studies done on plants(look up clive becker, psychobotany), one wonders whether some people might begin to feel guilty about their vegetarianism if you were to press it far enough. Hope you like to eat rocks and dirt ;)

I have to admit thinking though...whether trees are feeling pain during a fire or being chopped down. Call me strange, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I have to admit thinking though...whether trees are feeling pain during a fire or being chopped down. Call me strange, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Personally, I can't stand to watch an animal being killed. This is my nature. But I have no problem with finding said animal on my plate after purchasing it at the grocery store, or butcher. But this is one of the benefits of modern society, my calling is not to the butcher shops or slaughterhouses of the world, and it doesn't have to be :).

Edit: It may sound contradictory to some, but its not. I'm attaching a value of right or wrong to killing animals, I'm just saying I find it unpleasant. I find the eating part to be a very pleasant experience.

Edited by MikeUpton

All this talk about protecting broccoli reminded me of this scene from the film Notting Hill. :D

MAX

Keziah -- some woodcock?

KEZIAH

No, thank you -- I'm a fruitarian.

MAX

I didn't realize that.

(It is left to William, who has been set up here, to fill the pause.)

WILLIAM

And ahm -- what's a fruitarian exactly?

KEZIAH

We believe that fruits and vegetables have feelings so we think cooking is cruel. We only eat things that have actually fallen from the tree or bush -- that are, in fact, dead already.

WILLIAM

Right. Right. Interesting stuff. (pause)

So these carrots...

KEZIAH

Have been murdered, yes.

WILLIAM

Murdered? Poor carrots. How beastly.

Ben Raines

When it comes to either saving Andy Dick or the fly, my votes for the fly.

Okay, speaking of flies,

When I was a kid in the 60's I was attending Sacrament meeting and we had a lady from a different ward singing a solo as part of the service. I was on the front row and off to the side just a little, so I was literally just a few feet away from where she was singing.

As I sat and watched this performance, there was a fly that was buzzing around and finally made it's way near her--the fly buzzed around a little bit and as she was singing I guess the fly decided to get a closer look at what the inside of this lady's mouth looked like--and yes flew right into her mouth.

It startled her for but just a split second with a funny grimace on her face--and then she resumed singing without missing a beat.

I looked at my buddy sitting next to me and we both smiled to verify 'did you just see that' kind of reaction.

Everytime I have thought of that over the years, I always thought of what a trooper this lady was and acted like nothing happened.

Oh yea, the fly never came back out---True story.

Okay, speaking of flies,

When I was a kid in the 60's I was attending Sacrament meeting and we had a lady from a different ward singing a solo as part of the service. I was on the front row and off to the side just a little, so I was literally just a few feet away from where she was singing.

As I sat and watched this performance, there was a fly that was buzzing around and finally made it's way near her--the fly buzzed around a little bit and as she was singing I guess the fly decided to get a closer look at what the inside of this lady's mouth looked like--and yes flew right into her mouth.

It startled her for but just a split second with a funny grimace on her face--and then she resumed singing without missing a beat.

I looked at my buddy sitting next to me and we both smiled to verify 'did you just see that' kind of reaction.

Everytime I have thought of that over the years, I always thought of what a trooper this lady was and acted like nothing happened.

Oh yea, the fly never came back out---True story.

EWWWW but like the saying goes..The show must go on.

All this talk about protecting broccoli reminded me of this scene from the film Notting Hill. :D

MAX

Keziah -- some woodcock?

KEZIAH

No, thank you -- I'm a fruitarian.

MAX

I didn't realize that.

(It is left to William, who has been set up here, to fill the pause.)

WILLIAM

And ahm -- what's a fruitarian exactly?

KEZIAH

We believe that fruits and vegetables have feelings so we think cooking is cruel. We only eat things that have actually fallen from the tree or bush -- that are, in fact, dead already.

WILLIAM

Right. Right. Interesting stuff. (pause)

So these carrots...

KEZIAH

Have been murdered, yes.

WILLIAM

Murdered? Poor carrots. How beastly.

Reminds me of a commercial I saw last year for Wendy's about a new bacon sandwich. A guy was eating the burger at the restaurant with a woman, who offers him a bite of her salad. He tells her that he's a meatatarian. (Okay, I'm retarded...I looked it up on YouTube. Here it is:

)

As long as the animal is dead before it's cooked, I'm fine with eating meat.

No lobster or frogs for you then?

Reminds me of a commercial I saw last year for Wendy's about a new bacon sandwich. A guy was eating the burger at the restaurant with a woman, who offers him a bite of her salad. He tells her that he's a meatatarian. (Okay, I'm retarded...I looked it up on YouTube. Here it is:

)

i like that commercial

Hahahaha I love that commercial wingnut. That gave me an idea for a new slogan, "Save a carrot, eat bacon." :D I'm already doing my part, I sometimes get an urge to eat vegetables but I just eat cookies until the nasty old urge goes away. See I'm not just pigging out on junk food, I'm saving an innocent vegetable from a terrible fate.