Why Doesn’t God Answer Prayers?

Snow

Why does God never heal amputees? Or perhaps, HE allows man to clone a new limb for the person. :lol:

When you look at this in the terms you quoted, for me at least, it makes more sense than sometimes we give it serious credit.

Mankind needs to know what God knows as part of his progression. It will of cause take a lot longer than the few thousand years man has been here and is something those that keep this estate might have the opportunity carry on doing.

We are a long way off being able to command the intelligences to grow a new arm but one step to getting there has to be being able to manipulate what already exists in nature but is slightly out of our reach right now.

Many new leaps in technology for example have been thought up by more than one person exclusively. When the Lord sends us new things he does so not just to one person. His wisdom is always to make contingencies.

Because my existance did not begin here what is to say that I did not agree to accept the limitations to further the work of the Lord. Like the last blind man Jesus healed. When it was asked what sin this man or his parents had commited the Lord replied in short that none had sinned and that he suffered so that the power of God could be demonstrated.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I was trying to make is just because one does not get the answer they thought they would get does not mean God does not answer. You did say alot on this but after reading it all it came down to the point in question.

Let me sight you an example from Either.

The brother of Jared asked two questions:

1: How do we breathe?

2: How do we see?

Immediately the Lord gave him an answer to the first but asked the brother of Jared to go and work on the latter.

There is no other incident in the history of man at that time that he was required to build a vessel that would go through the water or underneath it like a submarine. So there was no knowledge of how they would breathe for brother of Jared to go and find out so the Lord told what to do.

This is how prayer works. Very few people have the faith that the brother of Jared had so it’s fair to say that we might just miss the Lord asking 'what would you have me do?'

So if there is silence we can surmise that the Lord has already answered our prayer and it is up to us to find the answer, normally in the scriptures.

Another simpler example of this is if you were to ask if you should pay tithing; this answer has already been given and does not need clarification.

However if a new leader is called you can ask God for conformation just like you can ask if the Book of Mormon is true.

I like the example of the brother of Jared. Though he was inquiring of the Lord for assistance, he was told to search and come up with a solution. I think that's how many of our prayers are answered. Sometimes it requires searching and thinking on our part. We sometimes need to find a solution and then he will assist us. I would never have thought of gathering up stones and then asking them to glow to provide light.

Doesn't that then come down to "Thy will be done." If we put our hands into accepting His will..we have to learn to accept the answer. Whether it's the one wanted or not.

Doesn't that then come down to "Thy will be done." If we put our hands into accepting His will..we have to learn to accept the answer. Whether it's the one wanted or not.

Absolutely. And, we have to be willing to hear whatever answer we receive. If we are starving and expect manna from Heaven to be the answer, will we hear the prompting to go plant a garden? Or, to educate ourselves?

Or, if we have become so used to being handed everything by others or our government, are we really going to listen to an answer of do for yourself?

If we are starving and expect manna from Heaven to be the answer, will we hear the prompting to go plant a garden? Or, to educate ourselves?

Gosh that's just too much work. But I betcha that is a thought that many have.

I disagree. I do think sometimes God doesn't answer at all. Not even a "no."

We have been sent here to learn by faith. God has given us a brain and expects us to use it. He also allows us to be taught principles and expects us to make decisions based on those teachings.

I'm going to use a simple example. A member of the church has an opportunity to move to another city. Billy Bob has a good life in the place he lives--good job, friends, family, etc. He doesn't have to move, but an opportunity has arisen--he can have a good job, friends, and family in this new location. He prays about it and doesn't get an answer either way. He decides to stay where he is and prays about that. Doesn't get an answer either way.

Does that mean God said "no?" Or does that mean God said "you make the decision?" I think it can be the latter. Sometimes God doesn't care what we do...He wants us to decide. I can't remember where in D&C, but there is a scripture that basically says "it mattereth not unto me"--the brethern were commanded to go preach to the West (Missouri) and they couldn't decide to go over land or by boat. The Lord didn't care--just do it. I think that is the same with us sometimes. Use your God given brain, do some research, make a decision. Ask God if it's right and He may answer you. If not, then make the best decision with your knowledge and the principles that you've been taught.

Are you missing my point on purpose?

Have you actually had God say to you, "you decide?" Or is it that you feel absolutely nothing? Because I'm guessing that the majority of people do not receive answers to prayers. We pray because we are commanded. We pray because it brings peace to us. We pray because we do sometimes receive answers. But I'm venturing a guess that the majority of the time, we pray and we don't have feelings either way.

Let me be personal here. I've prayed about getting married. I've changed my thoughts, words, expressions, feelings, everything I can think of to get an answer about marriage. I have not received an answer. Not a "yes, you will get married." Not a "no, you will not get married." Not a "wait, it's not time." Not a "you make a decision." Absolutely nothing. So, what's the answer to that one? I think it is simply that God has not answered. I can interpret that to be an answer--because I want an answer and it would give me peace. But, ultimately, I have not received an answer.

You may disagree with me. That's fine, but I do believe that God withholds answers on purpose to help us grow and live by faith and knowledge.

I have read most of the responses and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth.

In the BoM, we read of Nephi (the one that prayed on the wall and prophesied that the chief judge was murdered by his brother), who, after proving his innocence, is left standing in alone after people have argued who he is (he is a God, no, he just got lucky, etc). It says he is pondering on these things and suddenly the Lord tells him:

5 And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

(Helaman10:5)

So the Lord knew that Nephi's heart was so in sync with His that he wouldn't ask anything amiss, or contrary to the Lord's will. The message this month in the Ensign by Pres Eyring focuses about having things 'written upon our heart'.

So maybe, when we wonder about prayer, and answers, and the like, we haven't reached (in some instances) that perfect 'in-tune' state of having our hearts in sync with the Lord's, and there is still too much 'my will and not thine' in our words/attitudes.

We already know, because of the teachings by the Savior, that our HF knows beforehand what we need, but we are still commanded to ask. The results of our prayers, particularly answers that match what we need (not necessarily what we want) perhaps lead to that increase in faith that Moroni speaks of in Ether 12 of there being no witness until after the trial of faith.

I know personally that I have had prayers answered as I wanted, as I needed, and sometimes not at all in a way I would have imagined. I think our HF answers prayers as we want as much as he can, but as we would do to our little ones while still in our charge, we don't always give them what they want. We would be poor parents indeed if we gave them ice cream before dinner every night because that was what they wanted (simplistic example, I know, but you get my point I think). I think HF gives us ice cream every so often cause he loves us and wants us to love him. But more often than not I believe he makes us eat the entire meal, including peas and brocolli, before the treat because it is for our good.

Again, not sure how much this touches on what Snow was originally getting at, but that is how I have come to understand prayer over the last several years...

Edited by sixpacktr

I would never have thought of gathering up stones and then asking them to glow to provide light.

There is another important point, you and I and probably most of the human family don't have skills working with or understanding the qualities gleamed from a furnace. There is clearly more to it than just extra hot heat.

In a shopping centre (Mall) in Sheffield, built on an old steel mill are three bronze statues of men working molten metal. It's an education just seeing the expressions captured on their faces and clearly the skill involved in such a practice.

A skill the brother of Jared possessed and the route he must have taken to come up with six glass stones.

When he had done all that he could do he then turned to the Lord for the final part.

But being a loving Father skilled in teaching, all knowing what the solution was, He asked Moriancumer what he would have him do.

This is a very important lesson because in all the scriptures you will not see such a clear example of the relationship our Lord has with us.

I don't know what some people want, do they want to hear, "Because he is some hateful, mean, uncaring god, who delights in torturing us by making promises he won't keep".

That's a really odd thought. Why do you think that Believer?

Why do some people delight in tearing down the faith of others? Even if you don't agree, don't ridicule and try to destroy the faith of others...

I dunno. I don't know any such people.

Why do some people think that questioning is the same as tearing down.

If we will have great joy because we bring but one soul into the Kingdom of God, what great torture we will endure for destroying the faith of one of His lambs and ushering them out of God's Kingdom.

Some people here need to reconsider their actions and words.

WOW!

It sounds like either you think that peoples' faith is so weak and fragile that simple discussion among strangers on the internet can destroy it - or that anonymous people on the internet are so very mighty and powerful that they can destroy real faith held by others on the internet.

Pardon me for saying so, but both ideas sound incredibly preposterous. Why do you think such a thing?

There are a lot of good responses here. Though I think I have to agree with Beefche's thinking on this. I could see where He might not answer ALL prayers.

While He wants us to have a relationship with him through prayer and to ask for His assistance...I think by not answering He is saying "Come on..work at it a little more, you'll come up with an answer or solution...come on..you can do it."

Therefore he is giving us the wonderful opportunity to challenge ourselves. The opportunity to learn, to have our faith increased. If one were to think that because there is no answer he is an uncaring God..then they truly don't have or understand His relationship with us.

Just to add..I do have to agree with Snow. If some anonymous person on the internet can completely undermine our faith and testimony..then it wasn't that strong to begin with.

I dunno. I don't know any such people.

Why do some people think that questioning is the same as tearing down.

Come now, Snow. Surely you understand that calling someone's opinions "dogmatic" because said opinions are based on scripture amounts to tearing down the other's faith- as does making almost any condescending remarks aimed at others' opinions based on faith.

Do any of you think that sometimes God's answer to prayer is to not answer anything at all?

While He wants us to have a relationship with him through prayer and to ask for His assistance...I think by not answering He is saying "Come on..work at it a little more, you'll come up with an answer or solution...come on..you can do it."

Therefore he is giving us the wonderful opportunity to challenge ourselves. The opportunity to learn, to have our faith increased. If one were to think that because there is no answer he is an uncaring God..then they truly don't have or understand His relationship with us.

Yes, I do beleive that at times non-answers may be the answer.

Yes, my fretting,

Frowning child,

I could cross

The room to you

More easily.

But I’ve already

Learned to walk,

So I make you

Come to me.

Let go now—

There!

You see?

Oh, remember

This simple lesson,

Child,

And when

In later years

You cry out

With tight fists

And tears—

“Oh, help me,

God—please.”—

Just listen

And you’ll hear

A silent voice:

“I would, child,

I would.

But it’s you,

Not I,

Who needs to try

Godhood.”

(Carol Lynn Pearson, Beginnings, Provo: Trilogy Arts, 1967, p. 18.)

As presented by Elder Packer in a 1975 Fireside

Edited by ryanh

Just to add..I do have to agree with Snow. If some anonymous person on the internet can completely undermine our faith and testimony..then it wasn't that strong to begin with.

Agreed. However, that doesn't exonerate the person doing the tearing down- and the line of reasoning that "the other's faith was weak anyway" is a weak attempt to get out from any responsibility in the destruction of said faith.

I have to agree with Believer on this one, and I'd argue that the scriptures do as well- this falls in the realm of not offending our brother but strengthening him instead. What others do with their faith is their business- how we interact with them and affect the strength of their faith is our business.

Sorry to make two posts about a minor tangent, but.... Dang! This topic (and related ones) are coming up so much lately, and I don't see many people defending the charitable course of action (not tearing down others and their faith).

Thank you Maxel.

Agreed. However, that doesn't exonerate the person doing the tearing down- and the line of reasoning that "the other's faith was weak anyway" is a weak attempt to get out from any responsibility in the destruction of said faith.

I have to agree with Believer on this one, and I'd argue that the scriptures do as well- this falls in the realm of not offending our brother but strengthening him instead. What others do with their faith is their business- how we interact with them and affect the strength of their faith is our business.

Sorry to make two posts about a minor tangent, but.... Dang! This topic (and related ones) are coming up so much lately, and I don't see many people defending the charitable course of action (not tearing down others and their faith).