Obedience

AliciaB

A good friend of mine asked me a question that I found myself unable to answer fully, so I was hoping you lovely people here could help me out a bit?

" How can we show our obedience to the Lord and in what ways can we be obedient?" also "Other than the sacrifice of animals and the ten commandments, do the laws and commandments in the old testiment still apply?"

My friend is not a member of the church, but she did accept a copy of The Book of Mormon from me. I would love to be able to fully answer her questions and help her gain testimony that the church is true.

Alicia.

Don't have the energy for a long answer, but a few simple ones:

We can show obedience to the Lord by doing what He has asked us to do and by following the leaders He has elected to be at the head of His earthly church. 'Doing what He asks' includes living a Christ-like life and studying and following the commandments of Christ in the New Testament.

There are some laws from the Old Testament that are still in application, but it can be difficult to discern which ones.

Obedience: The Path to Freedom

in James E. Faust, Ensign, 1999, May

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Obedience: The Path to Freedom Skip to Content Skip...even hidden treasures.” 8 So by obedience we also gain knowledge.

The Blessings of Righteous Obedience

in Delbert L. Stapley, Ensign, 1977, Nov.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Blessings of Righteous Obedience

Live in Obedience

in Joseph B. Wirthlin, Ensign, 1994, May

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Live in Obedience

Teaching Obedience

in , Ensign, 1985, July

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Teaching Obedience

First Presidency Message If Ye Be Willing and Obedient

in Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, 1995, July

LDS.org - Ensign Article - If Ye Be Willing and Obedient

Obedience— Life’s Great Challenge

in Donald L. Staheli, Ensign, 1998, May

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Obedience—Life’s Great Challenge Skip...continual saga of the various people whose obedience ebbed and flowed with the times.

Faith Obedience

in R. Conrad Schultz, Ensign, 2002, May

... - Ensign Article - Faith Obedience Skip to Content Skip to Navigation Search... obedient because we can see” (“Agency and Control,” Ensign, May 1983

"If Ye Be Willing and Obedient"

in Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, 1971, Dec.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - “If Ye Be Willing and Obedient” Skip to Content Skip to Navigation Search All Church Content Gospel

Obedience

in N. Eldon Tanner, Ensign, 1974, Jan.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Obedience

Obedience— Full Obedience

in Teddy E. Brewerton, Ensign, 1981, May

...David O. McKay stated, this incident conveys a lesson of life: obedience—full obedience. May I give an example of one great...fury. Why were they protected? Because of their collective obedience to the Lord. Let this be our decision:

As I was studying for the Gospel Doctrine lesson this coming week, I read this scripture:

D&C 136:

37 Therefore, marvel not at these things, for ye are not yet pure; ye can not yet bear my glory; but ye shall behold it if ye are faithful in keeping all my words that I have given you, from the days of Adam to Abraham, from Abraham to Moses, from Moses to Jesus and his apostles, and from Jesus and his apostles to Joseph Smith, whom I did call upon by mine angels, my ministering servants, and by mine own voice out of the heavens, to bring forth my work;

38 Which foundation he did lay, and was faithful; and I took him to myself.

This, of course, is revelation given through Brigham Young, after Joseph Smith's death.

" How can we show our obedience to the Lord and in what ways can we be obedient?" also "Other than the sacrifice of animals and the ten commandments, do the laws and commandments in the old testament still apply?"

Alicia.

Jesus is the new covenant. His sacrifice eclipsed all and made any further sacrifice unnecessary. Following Jesus suffices.

" How can we show our obedience to the Lord

By doing what he asks us to do.

and in what ways can we be obedient?"

Every way, is there is not a way to be obedient?

"Other than the sacrifice of animals and the ten commandments, do the laws and commandments in the old testiment still apply?"

Not sure which commandments you are talking about.

Christ came to fulfill the Law. That really doesn't mean we stop keeping the commandments it means Christ built upon them. Usually when we keep the new law, we are already keeping the old one.

Have haven't seen your answers to these questions?

Jesus is the new covenant. His sacrifice eclipsed all and made any further sacrifice unnecessary. Following Jesus suffices.

(Clarification): Ritual sacrifice of animals, yes. But the principle of sacrifice--giving up something dear to us for His sake--is still very much a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Have haven't seen your answers to these questions?

Ok, bare with me, I have social anxiety disorder and find it hard to share my opinion on anything for fear of getting it wrong.

My answers to her questions were very basic, I came to find the church 18 months ago and before that I had no faith, so I am still in the early stages of my learning.

I said that we can show our obedience by keeping the commandments, praying daily, both personal prayer and family prayer, we can read and study our scriptures, offer service and then I went on to add some of the things I do as a latter day saint like, following the prophet, keeping the word of wisdom, paying tithing, obeying the law of chastity, willingly accepting any calling I am given and doing temple work. I also said that obedience and faith go hand in hand because obedience is easier when we have faith enough to do what is required of us, with obedience our faith grows.

I also didn't fully understand her second question so told her I would try and see what others thought.

Ok, bare with me, I have social anxiety disorder and find it hard to share my opinion on anything for fear of getting it wrong.

My answers to her questions were very basic, I came to find the church 18 months ago and before that I had no faith, so I am still in the early stages of my learning.

I said that we can show our obedience by keeping the commandments, praying daily, both personal prayer and family prayer, we can read and study our scriptures, offer service and then I went on to add some of the things I do as a latter day saint like, following the prophet, keeping the word of wisdom, paying tithing, obeying the law of chastity, willingly accepting any calling I am given and doing temple work. I also said that obedience and faith go hand in hand because obedience is easier when we have faith enough to do what is required of us, with obedience our faith grows.

I also didn't fully understand her second question so told her I would try and see what others thought.

I don't know that anyone could have answered her better.

It sounds like you're a good friend, and she's in good hands. :)

A good friend of mine asked me a question that I found myself unable to answer fully, so I was hoping you lovely people here could help me out a bit?

" How can we show our obedience to the Lord and in what ways can we be obedient?" also "Other than the sacrifice of animals and the ten commandments, do the laws and commandments in the old testiment still apply?"

My friend is not a member of the church, but she did accept a copy of The Book of Mormon from me. I would love to be able to fully answer her questions and help her gain testimony that the church is true.

Alicia.

I see obedience as a very basic simple and fundamental concept of living up to what you profess to believe, think you believe or stand for. Another way of expressing obedience is being “true” to one’s convictions.

A prime example of disobedience is to profess one thing and do another. As per a person professing themselves Christian and holding contempt for some of their fellow men. Or saying you believe G-d calls prophets and then not having a prophet to follow.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

" How can we show our obedience to the Lord and in what ways can we be obedient?"

You mean other than by actually being obedient?

Have you tried pretending?

"Other than the sacrifice of animals and the ten commandments, do the laws and commandments in the old testiment still apply?"

Absolutely.

I hope for your soul's sake that you are not wearing clothes made of two kinds of fibers or that you do not muzzle your ox while it is treading out the grain.

Oh, and for heaven's sake, please do not eat the rock badger.

Oh, and for heaven's sake, please do not eat the rock badger.

Stay away from black pudding as well.

My understanding is that the Law of Moses was fulfilled and is no longer applicable, that said not everything contained in the Old Testament is the Law of Moses, for instance the commandment to multiply and replenish the earth predates Moses by quite a bit and according to indications from the First Presidency is still in effect (The Family: A Proclamation to the World).

Alicia,

Nice answer about obedience! I liked the examples you used.

Jesus taught that He came not to destroy the (old) law but the fulfil it. It can be rather confusing, though, as we still follow some of the Old Testament. For example, we still hold the 10 Commandments but we don't have the same dietary retrictions laid down in the Old Testament.

But how do you know those things actually please God? Suppose you had it wrong and you were just making God more and more angry. I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here. I really think those who have replied here are missing a step. First, you have to know that there is a God. Second, you have to know whether or not he is good (can he be trusted). Third, you have to know what, if anything, he wants from you. Then you're in a place where you can show you're obedience to him. Religion is serious business...there's no reason to walk into it blindly.

But how do you know those things actually please God? Suppose you had it wrong and you were just making God more and more angry. I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here. I really think those who have replied here are missing a step. First, you have to know that there is a God. Second, you have to know whether or not he is good (can he be trusted). Third, you have to know what, if anything, he wants from you. Then you're in a place where you can show you're obedience to him. Religion is serious business...there's no reason to walk into it blindly.

Is it possible to do "good" and not know G-d? (IIIJohn 1:11)

The Traveler