Too late for Obama to turn it around?

bytor2112

Why has the Democratic Party become so arrogantly detached from ordinary Americans? Though they claim to speak for the poor and dispossessed, Democrats have increasingly become the party of an upper-middle-class professional elite, top-heavy with journalists, academics and lawyers (one reason for the hypocritical absence of tort reform in the healthcare bills). Weirdly, given their worship of highly individualistic, secularized self-actualization, such professionals are as a whole amazingly credulous these days about big-government solutions to every social problem. They see no danger in expanding government authority and intrusive, wasteful bureaucracy. This is, I submit, a stunning turn away from the anti-authority and anti-establishment principles of authentic 1960s leftism.

I really like Camille Paglia....this is an interesting read.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it so hard to understand why people who want to combat injustice and help others would be drawn to such things as the law and education, and let's never forget the fourth estate, journalism. The left has been around long before the 1960s. The fight for basic rights has been around since before Susan B. Anthony and the Pullman workers massacre. In the '60s the left began to see Gov't as a tool, one that has been used too many times to squash voices and freedoms, and yet one of the few that is available to any who can manage to get into that club despite lack of money or family connections.

Camille Page reflects my own growing anger at everything to do with politics. However I disagree with her overall tone. As much as she might have loved the '60s they have little to nothing to do with the Democratic ideals I hold dear.

Why is it so hard to understand why people who want to combat injustice and help others would be drawn to such things as the law and education, and let's never forget the fourth estate, journalism. The left has been around long before the 1960s. The fight for basic rights has been around since before Susan B. Anthony and the Pullman workers massacre. In the '60s the left began to see Gov't as a tool, one that has been used too many times to squash voices and freedoms, and yet one of the few that is available to any who can manage to get into that club despite lack of money or family connections.

Camille Page reflects my own growing anger at everything to do with politics. However I disagree with her overall tone. As much as she might have loved the '60s they have little to nothing to do with the Democratic ideals I hold dear.

I think the point that she is making is that the Democratic Party has become much of what it claims to fight against. It says one thing but does another.The same can be said for the Republican Party. I often muse over the fact that a bunch of lawyers are making economic policy. People who have never had a real job or had a real stake in the performance of a business.

The very people that fought injustice have made the government unjust, overbearing and out of touch. And I dare say Academics are a lot different than Educators.

Edited by bytor2112

I've been reading Camille Paglia for about 10 years now. And she does see things in a realistic, pragmatic light. I like how she takes on anyone who is doing the wrong thing. I agree with her that the Democratic party today is nothing like it was in the 1960s. Liberalism meant freedom and anti-establishment. Today we don't see much of that in either party, although the Republicans do use the word "freedom" more.

Democrats have increasingly become the party of an upper-middle-class professional elite ...

Redefinitions of reality are not really needed to express ones wish to keep the health insurance industry the way it currently is operating. This make believe of Democrats actually being Republicans is just too darn weird.

:eek:

I think the point that she is making is that the Democratic Party has become much of what it claims to fight against. It says one thing but does another.The same can be said for the Republican Party. I often muse over the fact that a bunch of lawyers are making economic policy. People who have never had a real job or had a real stake in the performance of a business.

The very people that fought injustice have made the government unjust, overbearing and out of touch. And I dare say Academics are a lot different than Educators.

Were always going to have a few whom are not good people involved with governing this country, it has always been that way unfortunately; but after the previous 8 years, this adminisrtation is looking really refreshing.:)

Were always going to have a few whom are not good people involved with governing this country, it has always been that way unfortunately; but after the previous 8 years, this adminisrtation is looking really refreshing.:)

How so? Thus far, it has been an unending series of blunders and missteps and the most overreaching government in our lifetimes.....maybe in U.S. history. The debt ceiling was just raised to, I believe $13 trillion dollars. You do realize that you are now outnumbered? Obama's critics outnumber his supporters. The coalition that he built among the so-called independents have turned on him 2 to 1.

Refreshing indeed.

Side note: Jadams? Could you perhaps provide reasons why you blindly support President Obama? I understand that you are to the left politically and disliked Bush. But seriously, why do you just blindly stay loyal to this fiasco in D.C.? Bush did some good things as President and some things I am strongly opposed to.......President Obama will likely do the same, thus far, it has been nothing but things that I dislike....I hope things will change.

Edited by bytor2112

Agreeing with Obama is not BLINDLY following his plans. It is easy to say anyone is blindly following someone you dont like while you blindly following the people you like.

Hopefully we all give thought to who we agree with and if we dont agree with each other that does not mean we are blind. It just means we disagree.

I am not proud of the democrats at the moment and I am not pleased with the change of meaning for the word liberal.

I believe liberal is simple a liberal interpretation of the constitution. Conservative is a conservative interpretation of the constitution. With this definition I am a liberal to a degree but not to the degree of making up stuff and saying it is constitutional.

Democrats now are nothing like they were when I joined the democratic party. They are much more indistinguishable from Republicans than they ever were before. Now I am talking actual actions not rhetoric.

When it comes down to it neither party seems to care much about us. It's all about their careers and special interests.

We need a new party. One that actually pays attention to the citizens of this country and what they want and need.

Agreeing with Obama is not BLINDLY following his plans. It is easy to say anyone is blindly following someone you dont like while you blindly following the people you like.

Hopefully we all give thought to who we agree with and if we dont agree with each other that does not mean we are blind. It just means we disagree.

I am not proud of the democrats at the moment and I am not pleased with the change of meaning for the word liberal.

I believe liberal is simple a liberal interpretation of the constitution. Conservative is a conservative interpretation of the constitution. With this definition I am a liberal to a degree but not to the degree of making up stuff and saying it is constitutional.

Democrats now are nothing like they were when I joined the democratic party. They are much more indistinguishable from Republicans than they ever were before. Now I am talking actual actions not rhetoric.

When it comes down to it neither party seems to care much about us. It's all about their careers and special interests.

We need a new party. One that actually pays attention to the citizens of this country and what they want and need.

Well said! Both parties right now only care about their special interests, and not the voters. That's why I'm registered as nonpartisan as neither party out there reflects what I really want. The way that Republican elected official acted during Obama's speech was an embarrassment as it made him and others who disagree with him look like they don't respect the Office. It's one thing to disagree with the man in that office, but at least wait until you have the chance to debate the bill first before stating your views.

Well said! Both parties right now only care about their special interests, and not the voters. That's why I'm registered as nonpartisan as neither party out there reflects what I really want. The way that Republican elected official acted during Obama's speech was an embarrassment as it made him and others who disagree with him look like they don't respect the Office. It's one thing to disagree with the man in that office, but at least wait until you have the chance to debate the bill first before stating your views.

In 1856, South Carolina Senator Preston Brooks whipped Senator Charles Sumner with a cane on the floor of the Senate.....must be something in the water in South Carolina. (the fellow who shouted "liar" was from S.C.) :eek:

The way that Republican elected official acted during Obama's speech was an embarrassment as it made him and others who disagree with him look like they don't respect the Office.

Wow, I missed that.

On the other hand, one can almost kinda sort understand the frustration. That's probably the first word the President has heard from a Republican lawmaker regarding health care reform since . . . well, since last April.

I do believe there is another agenda than 'making a career' in government.

Do you believe, it is now true our currency is worthless after almost a year of fiat printing by both parties? Should the world now revert to a single global currency and based it on commodities if there is a global financial collapse?

I do believe there is another agenda than 'making a career' in government.

Do you believe, it is now true our currency is worthless after almost a year of fiat printing by both parties? Should the world now revert to a single global currency and based it on commodities if there is a global financial collapse?

One could make the case that the world is getting closer and closer to a single global currency. We of course are not the only nation having financial problems which further exacerbates the issue.

If by another agenda, you are referring to the ushering in of a New World Order, then a single global currency would be necessary. :(

Thanks for your comments, lilered and john doe. Well, they say that "seeing is believing"...and I've not seen any evidence! Of course, some will liken this to our faith in Jesus Christ, however, Obama isn't the messiah. ;) The Constitution requires that he show proof of citizenship. If he isn't a citizen, he's not the president.

Umm . . . as I understand it, the local (Hawaiian) newspaper printed a birth announcement within a few days.

Short of time traveling, I don't see any viable conspiracy that could make that happen.

Anyone may obtain a certificate of live birth (colb). The public have not yet seen Obama's birth certificate.

Thanks for your comments, lilered and john doe. Well, they say that "seeing is believing"...and I've not seen any evidence! Of course, some will liken this to our faith in Jesus Christ, however, Obama isn't the messiah. ;) The Constitution requires that he show proof of citizenship. If he isn't a citizen, he's not the president.

It's a moot point. He has been inaugurated and everyone in the government accepts him as the president. You may not like it, but he is the president. People who go on about this sound like the whiners who claimed that Bush stole elections from Kerry and Gore. What it is, is what it is. Deal with it and move on.

It's a moot point. He has been inaugurated and everyone in the government accepts him as the president. You may not like it, but he is the president. People who go on about this sound like the whiners who claimed that Bush stole elections from Kerry and Gore. What it is, is what it is. Deal with it and move on.

President Bush is a U.S. citizen, therefore, he was legally the president. What greater insult could be paid to our founders than that of one who is foreign-born assuming the role of the president? Particularly when illegal activities were conducted in order to get him elected. What's makes him even more suspect is his constant references to Marxist ideology. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...well, you know the rest of the story. ;)