Mormons and the Cross--Mormon Times article on my recent Sunstone Presentation

Mike Reed

Nice! Thanks for the link.

It's timely for me. My daughter (8 years old) has been wanting a cross necklace for over a year. I'm totally fine with it, but I do worry about possible critical/negative commentary from LDS people, say, in Primary. I don't know where my place is in this; I don't wish to offend anyone, even if they're making a issue out of absolutely nothing. On the other hand, I think conformity for conformity's sake is a terrible lesson to teach my daughter. Confused.

mightynancy, I asked my husband what he would do if one of our kids was 8 and wanted to wear a cross really really bad. He said no and he would tell her when she was 18 she could wear or even carry one if she wanted. Till then no.

I dont like them but its not exactly excommunicatable material. Generally. Why does she want one so bad? Does she have a friend with a pretty one? Perhaps a very pretty heart would make her happy?

Thank you, Anne. Since her baptism especially, she is really converted and faithful. She sees it as a symbol of her love for Jesus Christ. We have talked about using our actions as a symbol of our Christianity (and she does this the best she can!), but she still wants one to wear.

She has lots of other pretty necklaces, including a CTR one with a butterfly, and a beautiful mustard seed in amber. She's really pining to wear a cross. Like I said before, I have no concern with her wearing a cross outside of negative feedback from others. I just don't know what can of worms we'd be opening.

It's a little like my son (13) and white shirts. It's preferred that a young man wear a white shirt, but a colored shirt doesn't make him unworthy to pass the sacrament. However, I know a lot of people are really hung up on that, and so as not to distress them during such a sacred ordinance, I have him wear only white shirts to church (even though the lavender and green ones from before still fit just fine). In this instance, the desire not to offend is more important than my desire to teach my kids to think things through for themselves. A necklace, however, wouldn't distract people during an ordinance...but people might feel moved to correct a little girl who is doing nothing wrong, KWIM?

Sorry for the hijack, Mike! Thanks for doing that amount of research and sharing it with us all.

Mike, I am glad your presentation continues to receive praise since you put so much research into this interesting topic.

I can understand Robert Rees speaking of "ambivalence" to describe Mormon feelings toward using the cross as a symbol. On one hand, it is the recognized symbol of Christianity used by followers to show their devotion to the teachings of Christ, and most Mormons want to be thought of as Christians. On the other hand, it has been spoken against in protest to how Mormons have been treated by other Christians.

While I don't wear cross, I personally see nothing wrong with my fellow members wearing one if they so desire to do so.

Snow....where does that notion come from. Also I am a recent convert from Catholosim and I am not taking down the crucifix over my bed one has hung above me my whole life. It is handed dwon throug generations and is part of who I was and who I am and it is all about my love of the Savior. All I can say is that anyone who is anti any other religion in the Church is missing the boat. Were we not told to bring our truths and let the LDS CHurch add to them. It happened for me and I would hate to see something as silly as cross offense keep other from the truth. the end!

Snow....where does that notion come from. Also I am a recent convert from Catholosim and I am not taking down the crucifix over my bed one has hung above me my whole life. It is handed dwon throug generations and is part of who I was and who I am and it is all about my love of the Savior. All I can say is that anyone who is anti any other religion in the Church is missing the boat. Were we not told to bring our truths and let the LDS CHurch add to them. It happened for me and I would hate to see something as silly as cross offense keep other from the truth. the end!

I was Catholic too. I have a cross on my wall too. And no, I don't think I'm going to take it down. But, I do agree that we should put more focus on the LIFE of Christ than the DEATH of Christ, and even put more focus on the RESURRECTION of Christ. Because, HE LIVES!

My husband and I have a joke... the Catholics kill Jesus every year on Good Friday. :D Well, in the Philippines, they have all these people who sign up to be crucified every year. I'm not kidding. They are crucified FOR REAL. Of course they don't die, but man, it's a huge event - even a tourist stop! It's a yearlong preparation! The Catholics seem to put a lot of focus on Lent Season - the Passion of Christ. I think it's the sensationalism of it and all the emotions in it that draw the Catholics to enhance the event. I like it that LDS do not sensationalize Lent. Don't get me wrong. I love Catholics.

I agree. Being anti-any-religion is not a good thing, unless of course that religion is evil. Aside from religious bigotry, it would be shame for someone to be kicked out of heaven on account of having a cross.

:o @ Snow. Whoa! Is this true!?

And anatess, I was thinking about that.. Things are done very differently back in PI. I wonder if this is the only place where Catholics go to such extremes?

... I'm sure I read it somewhere. I have a bunch of books in front of me... looking, looking.... give me a minute.

Oh drat.

No reason for you to make that change now. If it brings you some comfort then by all means keep it there.