Too Much Scripture Study?

CarstenBN

Hello everyone,

I have a silly question, one that has been nagging me for a while. Is it possible to study and pray too much? I should give you some background information to explain why it nags me. Though born into the Church, my testimony faded by the end of the teenage years and I became an inactive, lazy servant who in stead worshipped computer games.

That period is long gone now, but I experienced a degree of spiritual loneliness and decay that no one else should have to go through. The scriptures healed the wounds and holes in my spirit and welcomed me back to walk the path, holding on to the Word of God, which I still do. Scripture study and prayer means very much to me, in a very literal sense my entire being depends on it. I feel that earnest scripture study changes my hearts and throws away the natural man in me. Temptations become easy to overcome. Priorities are rearranged and realigned to fit with God's plan. My spirit wakes up and happiness becomes a real possibility, not just some far-away ideology.

Someone way back once criticized me, comparing me to that dorky guy in The Home Teachers (which is a funny movie); conveying that maybe I was spending too much time on serving in the Church and studying the scriptures.

What's your opinion here? Is scripture study, praying and selfless service something to "keep in balance" like you need with food, sleep, time alone and socializing?

I'll be honest, they work miracles in me and I come to think of the idea that practice makes perfect: Musicians play music. Painters paint. Designers design. In the same way, should we not spend a significant amount of time running toward the Tree of Life, hanging on to that iron rod in faith, as Saints?

Is it possible to be "too eager" to return to the presence of God, or should we really surrender our everything to Christ? The critique confuses me and I would like your perspective, if only to calm myself down since it keeps coming back to me and sometimes human input works well ;D

Thanks in advance, also sorry for writing so much.

To say that Praying and scripture study and serving in the Church can be too addicting has to also understand in the appropriate context.

For instance, if you spend all your day studying the scriptures while neglecting all your other responsibilities, then yes, one has to prioritize their time effectively. If serving in the Church takes away from time with your family, this can pose a threat to your family responsibilities.

One can even be burned out so the defining line is "when does it become an addiction" as to a healthy balance between praying and scripture study.

Personally, for me, I study the scriptures daily and intermittenly. Sundays, I spend that time reading going over the information from talks, sunday school lessons, and priesthood lessons. I then try and study for the next weeks lessons as well.

However, one has to draw the line to how much studying one is going to pursue. Set up an hour or two and no more a day. Or reserve Sunday for in depth studying of the scriptures. It all depends on what you personally want to do, nothing anyone else can say what you ought to do.

Hello everyone,

I have a silly question, one that has been nagging me for a while. Is it possible to study and pray too much? I should give you some background information to explain why it nags me. Though born into the Church, my testimony faded by the end of the teenage years and I became an inactive, lazy servant who in stead worshipped computer games.

That period is long gone now, but I experienced a degree of spiritual loneliness and decay that no one else should have to go through. The scriptures healed the wounds and holes in my spirit and welcomed me back to walk the path, holding on to the Word of God, which I still do. Scripture study and prayer means very much to me, in a very literal sense my entire being depends on it. I feel that earnest scripture study changes my hearts and throws away the natural man in me. Temptations become easy to overcome. Priorities are rearranged and realigned to fit with God's plan. My spirit wakes up and happiness becomes a real possibility, not just some far-away ideology.

Someone way back once criticized me, comparing me to that dorky guy in The Home Teachers (which is a funny movie); conveying that maybe I was spending too much time on serving in the Church and studying the scriptures.

What's your opinion here? Is scripture study, praying and selfless service something to "keep in balance" like you need with food, sleep, time alone and socializing?

I'll be honest, they work miracles in me and I come to think of the idea that practice makes perfect: Musicians play music. Painters paint. Designers design. In the same way, should we not spend a significant amount of time running toward the Tree of Life, hanging on to that iron rod in faith, as Saints?

Is it possible to be "too eager" to return to the presence of God, or should we really surrender our everything to Christ? The critique confuses me and I would like your perspective, if only to calm myself down since it keeps coming back to me and sometimes human input works well ;D

Thanks in advance, also sorry for writing so much.

Years ago as a new convert to the church, I was prompted by the Spirit the simple principle of tithing and apply it to my daily instruction - spending about ten-percent of my day with Spiritual instruction, serving others, or anything that is uplifting and building the Kingdom of GOD. ;)

Years ago as a new convert to the church, I was prompted by the Spirit the simple principle of tithing and apply it to my daily instruction - spending about ten-percent of my day with Spiritual instruction, serving others, or anything that is uplifting and building the Kingdom of GOD. ;)

2 1/2 hours of every day on scripture study and testifying to neighbors? My gosh, Hemi. You're a better man than I am. I wish I had that same ability.

I don't think he meant all that time was spent on scripture study and testifying to neighbors. He said spiritual instruction, serving others and anything that is uplifting.

That could even be part of the time is spent on lds.net teaching us of moments in Church history, trying to answer gospel questions.

Helping a family mow their lawn...could be a multitude of things.

But that being said...devoting 10% of your day to any of those things is commendable.

When you think about it...2 1/2 hours a day would really not be that difficult. Gives me something to ponder on.

Edited by pam

No, it is not possible to study and pray too much. However, it is possible to study and pray at inappropriate times. Remember Elder Oaks' recent General Conference address about "Good, Better, and Best"? If you're studying scriptures prayerfully when you should be getting your reports done at work, then you are not acting appropriately.

As long as study and prayer are the best things you could be doing at the moment, you cannot do them "too much".

Like with everything in life too much of something can be bad.

As others have said balance is the key along with something most people neglect flexibility.

There are times when for short periods I put 20 hours a week into my calling and neglect stuff at home. Other times it is the reverse lots of time at home little on my calling.

For me it is the same with Scripture study there are periods when I feel compelled to spend lots of time scripture studying others when I miss a few days or just read a little.

Do what works for you and the Lord prompts. There are no special rules do what works.

We are here to learn by our experiences and if our noses are in the scriptures for hours a day then yes it's to much. We are to WORK out our salvation. I feel serving the living and dead bring blessings that can not be achieved by study. However if your going to replace those hours with games then stay with scriptures.

Building the kingdom and service are important and many neglect them. I'm just beginning to see just how important service is. I look at the good my wife has done in the world with her relentless untiring service and how ppl love her deeply and it's going to mean more to HF then if she would of spent that time reading and praying. Though she does that too. Example, she has spent 15 years serving the YW in our ward. 15 years of continuous service. I cant count how many sealings I've got to tag along too because she has been invited to them for her love and service to those YW. I'm not just saying this because she's my wife I say this because she's the only one I see daily and can see her good. The YW love her greatly. One father came to my and said the only reason his daughter comes to church is because my wife makes her feel welcome and shows love to her. Finding the lost sheep, keep the sheep from becoming lost, it's all important. We need to get out and do stuff, increase in our skills so we can help build etc. If Joseph Smith would of just spent time praying and reading what would of happen? He is known and talked about by all nations now for the good he has brought.

_

Hemidakota, we both share this good idea of "tithing away" one's time. I've had it in my thoughts for a while and find it to be an ideal that is worthy of praise.

Vort, many thanks for your response. I think it marks the fine balance that is necessary :)

Martybess, showing one's love for others through selfless service is so powerful. I've really seen miracles happen here, both to myself in the act of serving others (sometimes in the role of having a calling) and to those who are on the receiving end -- just to clarify that I definitely don't think reading books is enough on its own.

Edited by CarstenBN

Jehovah's Witnesses do even more than that 2 1/2 hours. They have personal study, weekday meetings, meetings on how to witness and how to teach and how to answer objections. They are a very fast growing church. The more we study, and the more we witness, the faster the church will grow.