Musical instruments in Sacrament Meeting?

Maureen

The handbook says If I am not mistaken...you can have a violin and a guitar if its a "box" guitar and you can have a harp....no drums or brass instruments are allowed.

If the Bishop there went back to re read handbook he may have thought otherwise. On the other hand if it was an electric guitar, no he would not allow that. I hope that makes since. I have been released for almost 3 yrs, and this could have changed.

My nephew's Farewell is coming up. He was planning on doing a musical number on his guitar but was told that string instruments are not allowed during Sacrament meetings anymore. Can anyone verify if this is true? Thanks!

In 1967 when I went on my mission a classical guitar arrangement of a hymn was not allowed at sacrament meeting. This is not new. It is not so much that it is inappropriate as that there is so many problems drawing a line when so many tend to go towards the extremes. With all that said I have visited foreign wards where the only musical accompaniment for singing in any meetings was a ukulele.

The Traveler

Week before last in church I sang Peter Frampton's Show Me the Way (set to the music of High On a Mountain Top) using a "talkbox" or mouth organ.

I can't even try to imagine. I hope you didn't grow your hair long for this performance. :D

M.

as a general rule only the "european classical" stringed instruments are permitted during sacrament meeting...violin, cello, viola, harp, piano...no guitar, sorry! This is how it has been in every ward/stake/branch I have been in from AZ to UT to TN to Germany and Russia. Its a pretty solid guideline throughout the church and has been for as long as I can remember...

We have had both acoustic guitar and violin played at my ward. The violin-piano combo was the prettiest music I have heard in the chapel. Don't know what is gained by having a stick up our rear regarding instruments - although I would not appreciate brass instruments in that setting.

:)

Orchestral stringed instruments (cello, violin, etc) are okay. Guitars are iffy. There was a time when they were discouraged, but we had a brother play his guitar about 4 months ago in Sacrament meeting while he sung a beautiful song about the atonement. The Bishop leaned over to me and the SP counselor (before he gave his talk, having brought his guitar up) and said "if it is Bro So and So I don't think this will be inappropriate" and we agreed.

As a GENERAL rule, they are discouraged, I believe. If the Bishop says no, then that really is the final say in the matter.

I'm not sure what the rules are (if there are any) for sacrament instruments, but I think it makes more sense to review each performance on a case-by-case basis.

I have a friend who I've heard play hymns on his trombone and he makes them sound amazing. I myself would love to put something together for flugelhorn, but I get the feeling that I'd never be able to play it in sacrament.

I can understand when it comes to something like percussion instruments, but there are a lot of instruments out there than can be just as beautiful and subdued as a string, flute, oboe or clarinet.

I'm not sure what the rules are (if there are any) for sacrament instruments, but I think it makes more sense to review each performance on a case-by-case basis.

I have a friend who I've heard play hymns on his trombone and he makes them sound amazing. I myself would love to put something together for flugelhorn, but I get the feeling that I'd never be able to play it in sacrament.

I can understand when it comes to something like percussion instruments, but there are a lot of instruments out there than can be just as beautiful and subdued as a string, flute, oboe or clarinet.

I totally agree, however, that would open such a can of worms that it is just easier to say no. Your friend plays something like 'A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief' on his trombone and it brings the Spirit into the meeting. Then his buddy, also a trombone player, wants to play the same song, but the 'Jay-Z' version of it. He feels it is appropriate, but it probably wouldn't be. Now you create this rift in the ward with some taking the Bishop's side and some saying 'well he let so and so do it'.

We all know that every ward in Zion would do exactly that, so while it may seem petty or 'uptight', it just makes it easier on the leaders to have a guideline like that.

I totally agree, however, that would open such a can of worms that it is just easier to say no. Your friend plays something like 'A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief' on his trombone and it brings the Spirit into the meeting. Then his buddy, also a trombone player, wants to play the same song, but the 'Jay-Z' version of it. He feels it is appropriate, but it probably wouldn't be. Now you create this rift in the ward with some taking the Bishop's side and some saying 'well he let so and so do it'.

We all know that every ward in Zion would do exactly that, so while it may seem petty or 'uptight', it just makes it easier on the leaders to have a guideline like that.

lol @ Jay-Z version.

Something new just came to mind, too...

If they allow the piano and the guitar, do you think they would allow a keytar?

so why no brass? anyone know?

Having played the trombone I can say with a certain amount of certainty...the acoustics of the chapel would make even the softest sound from that wonderful instrument sound louder than a tornado at full force. A french horn would probably be the only brass that would work.I'm not saying brass cannot be beautiful and uplifting. I always get teary when hearing Taps played by a bugle or a trumpet. But the potential for disaster is greater by far than with a violin or piano.

Ohh a french horn with a cello, now that would be a thing of beauty.

I'll paraphrase the policy given in The Church Handbook of Instructions: Book 2. In the chapter that gives all the policies related to Music, it states that music should focus on worship of the Savior. Musical numbers should not be performed that put focus on the performer. In large part, discretion about what is or isn't appropriate is left to the local leaders.

Rather than getting bogged down in where to draw the line, perhaps it would be better to try and determine what kind of Spirit we want to have in Sacrament meeting and then ask ourselves if the instrument and/or performance would help accomplish that goal.

It should also be noted that it a choir could very easily violate this policy as well as a trumpet. If the choir is 'showing off,' or performing with the intent of showing how skilled they are and not with the intent of enriching themselves and the membership, then they should not be permitted to perform.