Nobel Peace Prize for Obama

Churchmouse

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These prizes are meaningless since the days of offering to those who really don't deserve it. We know who they are…even consider this prize on the same par as 'Time Magazine' person of the year. :lol:

Now, what feelings will be expressed by this nation when finally in this nation’s financial credit collapses based on fiat spending done by this administration, are they going to blame Bush also? ^_^

Edited by Hemidakota

And any of us are surprised....why? I'm just surprised that they didn't announce that he was the winner for the rest of his life. He is, after all...

oh wait, I got chastised last time I used that language on a religion forum to describe 'HIM'.

I think that all of the songs coming out of the schools in praise of HIM are what put HIM over the top...

MMM, MMM, MMM!!!

It really is amazing to me, seeing this huge disconnect between those who like Pres. Obama and those who do not. He's a loser when Chicago lost out on the Olympics yet when he gets a cool award for helping to change the perception of the world towards the United States it suddenly doesn't mean anything?

He bought carbon credits to offset his family's carbon footprint. I love talking in enviromental-speak :P

Getting back to the Nobel peace prize, well any Nobel prize, a whole bunch of it is deeply political. You think the peace prize is bad? You should see what goes on behind the scenes in the science part! Our Washington lobbyists are infants compared to acadamia.

I'm glad Pres. Obama got this award, even if it's just because of how his message makes others feel. Feelings become actions, and actions are what changes the world.

I'll agree that it is political, but is it really an award that is rooted in peace? I know that it says it in the title, but remember when Yassir Arafat won it? Huh?? The UN?? What?? Le Duc Tho, President of North Viet Nam? Algore?

Old Carnack Joke: The answer is Yassir Arafat. Question: what is the sound that Dolly Parton's bra makes when she takes it off?

I know that some think that Obama has made us more palatible to the rest of the world. Well, you can look at that in many ways. I personally think that the Europeans perception of a peacemaker is based upon the Neville Chamberlain model, which is that the weaker you are the more peaceful you are.

It really is amazing to me, seeing this huge disconnect between those who like Pres. Obama and those who do not. He's a loser when Chicago lost out on the Olympics yet when he gets a cool award for helping to change the perception of the world towards the United States it suddenly doesn't mean anything?

I like Pres Obama. The thing is, this prize is normally awarded to someone who actually DID something. What has Pres Obama done to deserve it?

They said it's because he was trying to bring peace and global climate efforts. Well, so have dozens of other international leaders. Why didn't they all get it together?

How does one compare Pres Obama's efforts to Gandhi? Or to Sadat and Begin when they actually made peace between Egypt and Israel? Did Pres Obama bring peace to Iraq or Afghanistan? Did he close Guantanamo? Did he get Iran to agree to stop developing nukes?

This is akin to giving a kid an "A" in class because he tried. Doesn't matter that others actually got "A"s on their tests and turned in all their papers, etc. This kid gets the same or better than them, simply because he made something of an effort.

The problem of him receiving it without visually earning it is now many people will wonder what the real reason was for giving it to him. Some will wonder if it is just because he's 1. not George W. Bush, and 2. the first African-American president. I hate that people will think this, but by giving him the award without him earning it, that is what it possibly appears to be. IOW, is Stockholm giving out awards based on race? That's what it looks like, and is sad if it is, because Pres Obama deserves more respect than that.

My Dh said that it is because he got USA out of Iran.... well I heard there was a deley... Reumptoms 1 and 2 are to be considered. Anyway I am suprised it went to USA president as usually here everyone is against USA president....

Nobels price is Swedish BUT it is Norwegeans who decide to whom it will be given.... :disclaimer:

Nobel did not trust that Swedish could give it to the right person.....

They were saying on the radio today that it is because since last year he has been called by some the Prince of Peace........... it stands to reason that he would get his own award. I just don't know why they didn't give him the award for economics as well.

Because that award goes to Bush II, he was president for 8 years. Our new president was merely a 1 term senator at that time :P

This is a joke, mods!!!! I meant us all to chuckle a bit. No seriousness intended (see smiley face above).

I'm not really aware of any awards that actually mean something. I don't watch any award shows anymore because they are so political--Grammy, Oscar, Emmy, etc. True talent is overlooked for the popular.

I began to realize the same holds true for the Nobel prizes. Even the Olympics favor athletes who come from countries that can afford to train them and provide better for them--and the Olympics are no longer for amateurs, now it's professional athletes that win those awards.

I don't agree with this "award him for the possibility he may broker peace" move. But, if it will allow him to actually get a foot in the door to countries/leaders who otherwise may have ignored him (is there anyone that can ignore him???), then good. Afterall, Gore got it for buying indulgences to overlook his expending energy at an alarmaing rate.

Because that award goes to Bush II, he was president for 8 years. Our new president was merely a 1 term senator at that time :P

This is a joke, mods!!!! I meant us all to chuckle a bit. No seriousness intended (see smiley face above).

Talisyn you are really pushing your luck here. First it's the 5 time mention of the "s" word and now this? :P

Tell me, did the 'Prince of Peace' vote for or encourage TARP and the other economic 'stimulus' packages?