Unitarian Minister requests: Stop bashing Mormons

BenRaines

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully her article will filter down to her co-religionists in SLC. The Unitarian Church there seems to take especial pleasure in tweaking the LDS Church's tail on pretty much every issue in which the LDS Church is involved - from Main Street Plaza, to the Crossroads skybridge, to helping out with gay-rights protests on Church property . . .

That was not very educational. Many religion make prophecies and are not bashed as much as Mormons. I wish I could get a straight answer on this. I have been searching and have found nothing. Of course there are ridiculous things out there but I would like to know directly from one of you why it is that you are bashed? I have been writing my basic concepts of religions now for a few hours and cannot even begin to write about your religion. Any help?

Call me ignorant but I have been trying to find out why it is you people are bashed so much. Can anyone educate me. PLEASE!!

I wish there were a simple answer...

---Some of it is doctrinal;

---Some of it is cultural;

---Some of it we brought on ourselves...most of it we didn't;

---Some of it is economic;

---Some of it is political;

---and some of it is just fear born of ignorance and misunderstanding.

Ultimately, the human being seems prone to territorial-ism and fear of the unknown...for whatever reason (choose from the list above), we are an easy target in this area.

Call me ignorant but I have been trying to find out why it is you people are bashed so much. Can anyone educate me. PLEASE!!

I think sometimes it's just not understanding what we believe. It's listening to or reading other websites without knowing actual facts.

If I might make a recommendation. If you want to learn what we believe..why not ask us questions. But just a couple at a time so that it's easier to answer them.

ok what makes you guys different than the typical Christian theology. Like I don't know Pentecostals or Baptists?

First and foremost, and the principal reason IMO that the aforementioned sects tend to dislike us and attempt to exclude us from the "Christianity Club", would be that we don't accept the Creedal (i.e. Nicene) interpretation of the Godhead - i.e the Trinity. In a nutshell the Creedal Christians see God as a single Being with three roles to play (not modalism, mind you); whereas we believe in a Godhead comprised of three separate and distinct Beings who operate in a united purpose - namely, to bring us back to the presence of God the Eternal Father.

Edited to correct - "desperate" should have been "separate".

Edited by ttribe

wow. that is the most sincere and honest answer I have had so far! ok so you believe that the "trinity" is actually three separate beings. Ok I'm with you. So what about God actually starting out as a man and then becoming a god of his own universe and your ability to do the same as a Mormon. Any truth to that? And the three tiers of heaven? What is that about?

wow. that is the most sincere and honest answer I have had so far! ok so you believe that the "trinity" is actually three separate beings. Ok I'm with you. So what about God actually starting out as a man...

Don't know for sure on God's origins. The couplet from which this stems is: "As man now is, God once was. As God now is, man may become." However, there has been little or no clarification on whether this is truly doctrinal, or whether it is just speculation.

and then becoming a god of his own universe and your ability to do the same as a Mormon. Any truth to that?

We do believe in the literal fulfillment of the Biblical promise that we will be joint-heirs with Christ in God's Kingdom. For more on the concept of deification, see here: FAIR Topical Guide: Deification

And the three tiers of heaven? What is that about?

Yes, we believe in a broader version of the afterlife than the traditional "heaven or hell"...in fact, we believe that there are very few who will have lived on this Earth who will ever be condemned to anything that actually resembles (even loosely) the "traditional" hell as a place of suffering. For more, see here: FAIR Topical Guide: Kingdoms of Glory Edited by ttribe

Wow! This is perfect! Thank you so much. I will mention those pages in my write up. So what DOES land you in hell? Will I go if I am an atheist? I get the papers and what you are saying but do the majority of you believe that you may become God's? Seeing as it says that God created many worlds do you believe that they may be aliens? I'm not trying to be mean but these are questions that many ask about your religion and don't have the testicular fortitude to ask. Again I do NOT mean to offend anyone. I am in pursuit of knowledge so that I can fully understand what it is you believe. I live in Memphis Tn and there are not many Mormons here to ask these questions.

Wow! This is perfect! Thank you so much. I will mention those pages in my write up.

That's fine...but for the record, I'd prefer not to be quoted by name...it's simply a matter of editorial control...sorry.

So what DOES land you in hell?

Rejecting a sure and complete knowledge. My short interpretation - unless you've been sitting around talking to God face to face and then rejected Him, you likely aren't eligible for "hell".

Will I go if I am an atheist?

Not likely.

I get the papers and what you are saying but do the majority of you believe that you may become God's?

We do believe that if we are partakers of the Atonement of Christ, accept his ordinances, and make every effort to be obedient, then, yes, He will fulfill His promises and make us like Him.

Seeing as it says that God created many worlds do you believe that they may be aliens?

"Aliens" like beings from other planets who have visited Earth? No. You mean like, humans inhabiting other worlds much like this one? Yes.

I'm not trying to be mean but these are questions that many ask about your religion and don't have the testicular fortitude to ask. Again I do NOT mean to offend anyone. I am in pursuit of knowledge so that I can fully understand what it is you believe. I live in Memphis Tn and there are not many Mormons here to ask these questions.

I understand...I served my mission in TN and KY. Edited by ttribe

Thank you for the clarification. But seeing as how there is no way to sit and talk to god face to face nothing can land you in hell? What about Hitler? Or Napoloeon? And thank you for taking the higher road on the Alien question. Yes I meant other worlds. Sorry I wasn't more clear on my message. I also read that your kingdom on Earth will be your kingdom in Heaven. I Understand this to mean the belief in polygamy? You can have more than one wife right? And I also have been told that there was a great apastosy or something like that? I know I said it wrong...but that meant that the original Church that followed Jesus was wrong right? So wjo made that call and how? Where did he find the wisdom that allowed him to make that call?

Thank you for the clarification. But seeing as how there is no way to sit and talk to god face to face nothing can land you in hell?

I guess that depends on what you believe now doesn't it? I know of at least one person who claims to have had some conversations with Deity - Joseph Smith—History 1

What about Hitler? Or Napoloeon?

Don't know...I'm not their judge...and I'm thankful for that.

And thank you for taking the higher road on the Alien question. Yes I meant other worlds. Sorry I wasn't more clear on my message.

That's okay...I'd just assume we not be confused with certain doomsday cults.

I also read that your kingdom on Earth will be your kingdom in Heaven.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean; care to provide a link?

I Understand this to mean the belief in polygamy?

We do believe that polygamy has been commanded at various times.

You can have more than one wife right?

Currently, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are excommunicated if they attempt to live polygamy. Such has been the case since the late 19th century (Official Declaration 1). Resource for more information: FAIR Topical Guide: Polygamy

And I also have been told that there was a great apastosy or something like that? I know I said it wrong...but that meant that the original Church that followed Jesus was wrong right?

I know...I've read the other thread. I think you've received some pretty good answers so far. If you want more information, you can also go here: FAIR Topical Guide: Apostasy and Restoration

So wjo made that call and how?

I'm not sure I follow...who made what "call"?

Where did he find the wisdom that allowed him to make that call?

I suppose it depends on "who" we're talking about. Edited by ttribe

Ok we where doing so well!!! lol Ok let me try to explain myself better. The analogy that you used was unless you sat down and talked to God then denied what he was saying then you're not going to hell. To me that is impossible regardless of what I "believe" unless you know a way for this to happen. in which case I would beg you for that information so that I may talk to him. I have ALOT of questions for him. And I'm well aware that you are not their judge but looking at most religions I could make a pretty good educational guess as to where they are going by the guidelines of that religion. I know only God can judge BUT from what I have read there are 2 unforgivable sins in your beliefs. Seeing as Hitler nor Napoleon committed those sins I would have to assume they don't go to hell, but I just wanted your opinion or a Mormon's. I would never confuse your religion with a cult. So we are on the same page. As for the thing about the Kingdoms I'm sorry I can't find the link but I will continue to look. Does it ring a bell? At all? If not that is ok I will move on and come back to that when I get more info on it. What I meant by who made that call was who decided that the original church took a turn in the wrong direction? Obviously you believe they did because as I understand it that is why you get so much bashing from other denominations of Christianity. So I wanna know how that call was made and by who? Who told someone that the Church took that wrong turn? And from where does that wisdom come?