Idaho?

RachelleDrew

So how many of you live/have lived in the Rexburg or Idaho Falls area?

I need a change of pace. I need to be surrounded by more people who share the same values as I. I need a better educational system for my son.

I've done some research, but nothing beats real opinions. I have a couple of job opportunities out there so i'm seriously considering making the move there this summer.

Just for reference purposes; I live in Illinois now.

My brother and his wife live in Rexburg currently, my brother in law lives in Idaho Falls. I used to live in Rexburg when I was going to school. My husband and I currently live in IL as well, but we have lived out west for quite some time before we moved here. I don't know much about the job market out there as my brother is currently attending college and my bro in law is at a government job. I also don't know about the school systems in Idaho. I do know that when we lived in Utah the schools were one of the lowest rated ones in the country, however Idaho could be different.

If you do choose to move out there be prepared for some culture shock. I grew up in IL and my first experience with living in a town with a large percentage of LDS people came when I went to college at Ricks (BYU-I), let me just say that it was very strange for me. Just as in the mission field you have all types, but the difference is that most of those people are in the church. So you very well may come across people who truly are not living the gospel but they still attend church each week and take the sacrement. It can be a great place to live, but it can also be very trying on your testimony.

I grew up in that area my entire childhood, and it was an excellent place to grow up! The education system is what you make of it anywhere you go, so just help your son learn and stay on top of school and he will be fine :)

The work opportunities aren't as great as they might be in a big city, but it is a good place to live because there are many others there who share your beliefs and values. I read some of your previous posts and have been going through similar difficulties myself......hope things are going alright and that Heavely Father is directing you to where you need to be :)

I grew up in Rigby and went to college in Rexburg. Visited Idaho falls a lot since it was only 15 miles away. I would consider it a good place to raise a child as long as you teach him how to pick good friends and know who he is associating with. But just as anywhere else, you can find bad friends there too.

Rexburg, with BYU-I, will have a higher concentration of LDS people than Idaho Falls will, but Idaho Falls will still be much higher than most people outside the Mountain West are used to seeing. Sometimes the sheer numbers of LDS can make some people feel restricted because it is everywhere, so you need to take that into account.

I would advise you to take a couple weeks and visit the different areas you are considering before making a decision to see if you think you will be comfortable there. If you want, you can contact me and I might be able to put you in contact with some people who can help you in your search.

I have never been to Rexburg, but fwiw literally everyone I can remember who went to Ricks (now BYU-Idaho) loved both the school and the area. Living there as a student is different from living there as a resident, I realize, but that's all I can offer.

This spring when I get my quarterly bonus I intend on taking a trip to the western US in general. Just to kind of check things out.

I've maintained a 4.0 throughout college. I've considered continuing my education at BYU or BYU-I. I'm fairly certain I would be accepted to at least one of them, if not both. So that did factor into my choices. But I have no desire to live in Provo, i'm not really sure why. It just doesn't strike me as a good choice for me.

Another question is the weather/seasons there. What is it like? I enjoy extremes in seasons.

It is like weather in Chicago land area. If you are used to winters in IL then you will be all prepared for winters in Idaho. There is often a good amount of wind as Rexburg is sort of located in a valley area and the location sort of creates a wind tunnel. Many of my roommates complained of getting wind burn during the winter. Rexburg uses red rock as their traction instead of salt which can make things interesting and also give you pink snow. Rexburg does not plow as often as I think they should, so there is often a layer of ice on the road. However it is a nice small town and is easy to walk from place to place in. Springs come late as winters seem to like to stay longer than they should, but summers are wonderful there. Autumns are decent.

I loved BYU - I (Ricks) when I went there and both my brother and sister have attended it and have loved it as well. BYU - I has a more spiritual feel to it than BYU does. Absolutely great school!

As far as the area..I loved Ricks and the area. But that was 30+ years ago and it has really grown since I was there. I went up there about 3 years ago and couldn't believe the change. But I loved the small town feel even with the growth. Hey they even have a WalMart now. lol

Keep in mind that ,any students with high grades do not get into BYU, so be careful in assuming that you are an automatic shoe-in. There are other factors considered in their acceptance. BYU-I is probably easier to get into, but they can be picky about who they accept.

Like someone else said, if you are used to Chicago winters you should be okay for Rexburg which will get cold but without the humidity. And yes, during the winter it is not unusual for the city roads to be snow-covered and icy for weeks at a time.

Rexburg is really small town, which is something to consider if you have a liking for anything urban. Boise and Salt Lake are a considerable drive from there.

If you do like pastoral, but still would like to be closer to an urban center for shopping, major medical, etc..., then Logan, Utah is more or less the same. Lots of Mormons and much greater school safety.

Rexburg has the distinct advantage of being close to Yellowstone National Park which your son would love.

Yellowstone is amazing! Rexburg has a splash park my nieces love, a nice little market called..umm..Basha? You can get like 40 different types of cheese there it seems. Idaho Falls is not far away with a lot of coooool stores and library and zoo. Rexburg does have BYU-I but Idaho Falls has colleges too, and Idaho State is in Poky. Craters of the Moon is about 70 miles away. Umm what else...lol you really should visit. The winter-long 3 inches of ice on the roads is a thing of legend. Island Park is beautiful (between Rexburg and Yellowstone) and the Grand Tetons are close by. What that all means is pretty much the best best-kept-secret skiing resorts in the West.

I loved Rexburg and BYU-I! If you love extreme weather you'll love it there. I'll never forget in Jan. of '83 how everyday for three weeks it was between -55 to -60 below zero!! And they still didn't close the campus!!!! I also remember how the teachers allowed everybody about 5 minutes before class to dress down from their 5 layers of clothing because the classes were so warm. Another extreme weather case was in May of '83. Everyday for that whole month it was your typical nice, spring 65-70 degree weather. It was the last day of May and I was leaving that morning to finish my quarter (took a few extra classes for 5 weeks in May to catch up on some credits) and while I was packing and getting ready to leave, I hadn't look outside yet and just assumed that it was like every other day that month. I open the door, standing there in my short sleeved shirt, and what do I see? At least two feet of snow on the ground and a snowstorm with winds blowing so hard that I couldn't see about 20 feet past my front door! May 30th was that day!! Anyway, you'll love it there. VERY nice and friendly people, but like somebody said earlier, there are people there that don't take the church as seriously, yet still go through the motions on Sunday. That threw me when I first saw some of that as well. Just stay with what (and who) you know is right and it'll be a great time. Good luck.:)