Max age for single male missionary??

zephyr

My question for you that are more informed than myself is... What is the max age that you can serve a full time mission as a single male member of the church? I have heard that 27 is the cut off but i'm not sure if that's just a recommendation to promote marriage rather than missions once someone is a little older or?? I mean if someone is 28 would you be out of luck or would they consider putting you in the field?? Any info would be helpful thank you..

So, up until your 26th birthday. There are exceptions made, however, but they usually have to be for a darn good reason. There was a man baptized into my ward in August, and he's already 26, I think, and obviously couldn't go on a mission until next August. He is on fire, really wants to serve, and has already baptized a friend, who will be baptizing his own mom and another friend. This man who is so earnestly enthusiastic has received First Presidency approval to go on a mission, despite exceeding the age restrictions. I doubt he'd have been granted it were he not a recent convert, but that's just me.

I guess that means that a 27 year old single male convert is out of luck if he wants to serve a mission right away and has to wait until he's retired and can serve with his wife if he gets married.

That is probably correct. Serving a mission is both a duty and a privilege, but not a right. So if the Lord's servants dismiss you from your duty to serve a mission, there are plenty of other things you can do to build the kingdom.

I guess that means that a 27 year old single male convert is out of luck if he wants to serve a mission right away and has to wait until he's retired and can serve with his wife if he gets married.

You make this sound like it's a bad thing. Think about it for a second. Most (certainly not all) 27 y/o men are beginning their career. This is a prime time to get established in employment and likely time to begin thinking of starting a family.

I think there is some wisdom in having age limits. And as has been pointed out, there are other ways to serve the church besides a full time mission. One can be a ward missionary or serve in the temple or serve in the bishop's storehouse or be a great home teacher or .....