Native American ( Indian ), Long Hair and Serving Mission

comebackkid

My cultural heritage includes the wearing of a kilt, and the saying goes that real men of that tradition don't wear anything under the kilt. Being the (naturally) manly man that I am, my culture dictates that if I were to ever wear a kilt, I would have to forgo the garment I agreed to wear when I entered the temple and received my endowments from the Lord in order to wear a kilt properly. So, do I give up on being a true member of the culture of my heritage, or do I break the covenant I made to God to wear the Garment of the Lord when possible? Who or what is more important? God, whom I personally covenanted with, or the culture of my heritage which is the basis of my God-given heritage?

I wear a mustache. Have since I could grow one. I shaved it off for my mission, and restarted it the day I returned. My wife and children have never seen me without one except for the time I slipped while shaving and had to finish the job once. My wife insists that I keep it, says something about how it makes me look older than her, and claims she likes it. I sometimes wish Pres. Monson would make a statement in Conference about the spiritual dangers of having facial hair between the nose and the mouth just so I could have an excuse to shave it off without offending her.

Though every missionary who goes to Scotland comes home with one... it's like a token ;)

I would assume so. Like everyone i know who does a tour in Japan comes home with a kimono and if in Germany the get Lederhosen and an Alpine hat but they (the native people) wear them as "costume wear" and not for every day wear. Isn't the kilt the same? And i don't think the missionaries wear them "on duty do they?"

Well, I have my opinions I suppose. I guess ridiculous might be a bad word...it's more like....going over board. God gave men facial hair, and I think if you keep it well groomed you should be allowed to wear it like that. Modern day prophets had facial hair and they kept it nice and groomed.

not kilts, some of the islands wear them... i met a guy at a singles conference that had quite a few from his mission. once he got to to the mission field he wore them. said when he got home it was weird to were pants, he'd been wearing them for 2 yrs. can't remember where he went though. lol

not kilts, some of the islands wear them... i met a guy at a singles conference that had quite a few from his mission. once he got to to the mission field he wore them. said when he got home it was weird to were pants, he'd been wearing them for 2 yrs. can't remember where he went though. lol

You thinking of lava lavas?

I'm sure you are thinking of lava lavas as well.

Posted Image

I have some young boys, both under 10 right now. They are both 1/2 Native American and their mother and I hold to many native traditions including long hair.

I know that my kids are taught they will have short, almost army like, hair cuts. Does this also hold true for Native American Indians that serve missions?

They will have to get a haircut...

• 5 weeks later...

Just a thought here . . . your sons might think about either donating their long hair to one of those places like Locks of Love or selling their hair to help pay for their missions. That is, once they are called to go and assuming they are required to cut. Wig and Extension places pay big big bucks for Native American Hair.

FWIW, I personally would not donate to Locks of Love because I've heard they don't actually donate much of the donated hair to needy people. They actually sell for profit most of the donated hair. It's just that Locks of Love is such a recognizable name. I can't remember the names of the better donation organizations but they are out there.

Sometimes the churches dress code bothers me. Thus why I don't care for BYU. Too many people and too many little rules make it ridiculous. I mean, Brigham Young would not even be able to take classes at his own university! lol

AHAHAHAHAHA!

In most wards the Saviour wouldn't be asked to pass sacrament, serve as a Bishop or act as a witness in the temple. ^_^ can you see I sometimes have the same bothers, not to mention I find men sexier with long hair and beards never quite forgiven President Hinckley for my then fiance being clean shaven and short back and side for wedding photos

I do doubt that eschewing the wearing of the temple garment for the sake of Scottish tradition in wearing kilts is the same as wanting to keep long hair for the sake of Native American tradition.

There is nothing wrong with cultural traditions as long as they do not move you away from God. Long hair does inherently do that. It could be the answer is, "it depends on where your son is called to serve."

Definitely ask the Missionary Department, but also, be careful not to simply ask the person who answers the phone. They're the front end, and wouldn't have the authority to answer the question definitely. That person would probably just voice their opinion, saying of course he would, when that's not always the case.

There is a HUGE difference between culture, and religion. So I guess it depends weather having long hair is a cultural practice, or a religious one.

If it is a cultural practice, then you should be allowed to keep the long hair. And there would be nothing wrong with making an exception for such cultural practices, because there would be a ligitimate reason for doing so-- as apposed to letting someone keep it just because they prefer the style; that's not a legitimate reason, I don't think.

But if its a religious practice... A mormon missionary's job, is to represent the mormon faith. Not another faith. Now, you can value and keep some native beliefs if you want to, that's up to you. I myself think that every positive religion carries useful and valuable teachings. But a mormon missionary represents the mormon church. He/she should be an ultimate example of all other mormons. So if your religious beliefs outside the mormon faith are preventing you from cutting your hair, then you are probably not the best candidate to be a mormon missionary.

Of course, you don't have to be a missionary if you don't want to. You could just be an active member. That's always an option.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Melissa569