Mormon mythology

ozzy

My pioneer ancestors did bathe in their garments. They would remove one piece, bathe that part of the body, and so forth until washed.

They never took them off ever! And were very proud of it.

Elphaba

Even if they did do that, they didn't understand what they were doing. It is the Garment of the Holy Priesthood, and is only in two pieces today for convenience. Removing a portion of the garment, is like removing the whole thing. So, if they thought they never took it off, they were mistaken. :P

Vanhin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps not. But every single mention of it I heard, and was taught, as a young girl growing up in the Church referred to the Hill Cumorah in New York State, and that the final battle happened there.

I would not consider that a Mormon myth.

Elphaba

Wouldn't it still be a theological myth if it was never officially taught, but the speculation of the masses? Pervasiveness doesn't equate to truthfulness.

EDIT: On further reflection, I see what you're saying. I guess it would count as a myth that the Mormons believe about their own doctrine, not the incorrect perception of Mormons by outsiders. In that sense, it wouldn't be a "Mormon myth".

Another I've heard is in reference to baptisms for the dead. That we actually baptize the corpse instead of performing it by proxy.

Don't know if that one has been mentioned.

Yep:

• If you're not Mormon when you die, we'll baptize you anyway after you're dead (the myth part comes into play when people think about corpses).

Thanks guys.

I suppose since I did start this, I should add my own input. Darn. :)

One of my favs is the one concerning the generation of saints that lives in the time of Gordon B Hinckley. That myth being that when we die, we will go to the spirit world and discuss our lives with other spirits. And when they hear that we were alive in the time of GBH, a hush will fall over the heavens and they will bow down to us.

Perhaps not. But every single mention of it I heard, and was taught, as a young girl growing up in the Church referred to the Hill Cumorah in New York State, and that the final battle happened there.

I would not consider that a Mormon myth.

Elphaba

Sorry to say, it is. I am grateful for the electronic age of the computer and databasing. Next to that, those devoted and passionate professors who painstaking labour in piecing together Joseph's journals. ^_^

My pioneer ancestors did bathe in their garments. They would remove one piece, bathe that part of the body, and so forth until washed.

Elphaba

First early garments were one piece and ended at the wrist and the ankle. I cannot imagine how much sweat it would be in the summer in wearing that type of garment.

That I don't believe dinosaurs existed.

Yeah...not kidding. I get told that all the time.

There are members of the church that don't believe dinosaurs existed. The earth is only 6,000 years old, so God must have created dinosaur bones and put them in the earth just to confuse and test us. My wife's friend believes this.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this one about garments, that you have to keep them on while having marital relations.

I hope I am not profaning sacred things, but I have heard some old people brag about how all of their children were "conceived within the holy garment", i.e. they didn't get naked for sex. This was apparently a point of pride with them.

That I don't believe dinosaurs existed.

Yeah...not kidding. I get told that all the time.

I have heard the theory (from my childhood friend) that dinosaurs were overgrown lizards from the Garden of Eden. The theory was that reptiles didn't stop growing in the Garden, so they eventually got to dinosaur-size, then after Adam ate the apple and the earth entered its fallen state, they died and left their bones.

I don't subscribe to that theory, but thought it was interesting when my friend shared it in my Deacon's quorum. :P

Edited by Maxel

One of the pervasive myths in this area is that Mormons are a cabal of rich farmers and ranchers who control everything, and it's up to the gentiles to keep this part of Idaho free. Oh and the church owns controlling stock in Pepsi and Coke. Sad to say, the one about some upstanding members selling barley to Coors is true :P

There are members of the church that don't believe dinosaurs existed. The earth is only 6,000 years old, so God must have created dinosaur bones and put them in the earth just to confuse and test us. My wife's friend believes this.

...kind of embarrassing.

Can't we dis-enroll them or something?

“On the sad character Cain, an interesting story comes to us from Lycurgus A. Wilson’s book on the life of David W. Patten. From the book I quote an extract from a letter by Abraham O. Smoot giving his recollection of David Patten’s account of meeting “a very remarkable person who had represented himself as being Cain.”

‘As I was riding along the road on my mule I suddenly noticed a very strange personage walking beside me… His head was about even with my shoulders as I sat in my saddle. He wore no clothing, but was covered with hair. His skin was very dark. I asked him where he dwelt and he replied that he had no home, that he was a wanderer in the earth and traveled to and fro. He said he was a very miserable creature, that he had earnestly sought death during his sojourn upon the earth, but that he could not die, and his mission was to destroy the souls of men. About the time he expressed himself thus, I rebuked him in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by virtue of the holy priesthood, and commanded him to go hence, and he immediately departed out of my sight…” (Miracle of Forgiveness, Spencer W. Kimball, pg 127, 1969)

I heard this same story but it was changed and said he met bigfoot

In mexico I heard ALL the time that in the mormon church if a man dreams about a woman in the church, she has to go to bed with him or take her as his wife(even if she was the wife of another).

What? You mean this is not true?

And that we sacrifice babies to our Gods.

Lectures on Faith, Lecture 6 section 7: Let us here observe, that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things, never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation

I dunno...sounds believable to me...

Elphaba

My mother would tell me of this too...back when there was only one-piece garments available and they were from wrist to ankle.

They would take one half of their body out, wash it, then put the garment back on, then repeat for the other side. Same process for changing garments.

In this way, they wore the garment at all times.

The other day I was asked 'well, what about the aliens?' I replied with "what about what aliens?' and they responded "well, I thought that Mormons believed that a race of aliens started the Earth." It was an interesting conversation.

Here's one I heard it sure sounds like a myth:

The US military tried to duplicate the language learning process in the MTC to help soldiers learn languages faster. But it didn't work for them because they didn't have th Spirit.

Ever heard of or been to the DLI? The Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA is probably the best language training facility in the world for quick learning, outside of the MTC.