What happened to the salt lake city mom

Guest musicman

Guest musicman

I have seen cases like this in the media before. Previous cases between a husband and a wife where more times than not it is the husband that is found guilty. Fewer cases come up where the wife comes back on her own accord or suddenly found. I think the husband is guilty. He seems guilty by his strange behavior. He recently for the time being relocated. He has shown no emotion on his face from when it happened. If my wife was missing i would be a nervous wreck.Suspicious that you would go on a camping trip in sub zero temperatures in a salt lake city winter. Don't be surprised if he is questioned and found guilty. Unfortunate that things like this happens in our society. The advesary is trying to take over especially close to the lord birthday. Please tell me what you think of this case. I should have said alleged.

Before the police even made a statement the media had spun this story against the husband. They have put a negative touch to everything they have said about this case. At first it seemed they were deliberately speculating because people involved in the case refused to speculate. Maybe they are are right and know something they aren't telling, but often the media's bias is disgusting. I wish they were more careful how they present the story...because what they know isn't evidence.

He took his children to visit family for the holidays. That is NOT running nor is it being callus while his wife and their mother are missing. They need the support of family.

If he did do something to her, it is still appropriate that the children be with family. And I would even say his family. If he killed her, If he's found guilty by an un-media-biased jury. Its unlikely the children will get to spend much time with their father's family. They will likely be raised by their mother's family.

This whole story is heartbreaking regardless of the truth we don't know yet. The media has been irresponsible in their reporting.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Timeline: Arlene Fraser

This is a case in my local area that has a lot of similarities, what I do know is Arlene Fraser is not the paragon portrayed in the media, and although her husband has been convicted of her murder we still don't know

There are a couple of other cases that come to mind one where after the husband had been charged with murder and served time in prison, her suicide note was found in book she had set him up to get her own back. Then there was other case where a body was found 30 years later

What I see in the Arlene Fraser murder case was trial by media for something we do not know what happened as a result 2 children have lost both parents. I don't know what happened in their marriage but unless a body is found or there is a suggestion he is any other way a menace to society - their children will suffer much more than anyone by pushing this

This is deffinately a case of "trial by media". Are his actions suspicious? Sure, but I would probably get a lawyer and be hesitant to talk to police too if public opinion was set so heavily against me from practically day 1.

I think he *could* have done it, but I'm not ready to bring down a verdict on the guy.

Well, the media is gonna do what they are gonna do and I have no clue if the husband is guilty. But the dudes story bugged from the beginning. He took his young kids camping for three days during the coldest temperatures of the year? And the mom allowed that? I know how cold it was! All my pipes were frozen. I mean either the dude is lying or he is a insanely irresponsible parent. And now it appears there is no record he was even at the camping location. Then he doesn't show up to interview with the cops and lawyers up and refuses to answer certain lines of questioning? People who are desperate to find their missing wives would talk to the cops every minute if it was necessary.

Again, I don't know if the guy is guilty or not. But something isn't right about this.

I mean either the dude is lying or he is a insanely irresponsible parent.

Or he has the proper gear/knows how to winter camp. The fact that he didn't show up at the camp site is the more suspcious (I'm assuming this is an actual camp ground we are talking about where one would expect paperwork in a strong box or what have you). But then of course he may have realized, "Dang that's cold!" and did something else.

Of course if he did there'd probably be some paper work at a motel or some such to collaborate that.

Then he doesn't show up to interview with the cops and lawyers up and refuses to answer certain lines of questioning? People who are desperate to find their missing wives would talk to the cops every minute if it was necessary.

Or they realize that the husband is usually the first suspect and is usually crucified by the media, that wrongful convictions do happen and the something said wrongly can send the cops barking up your tree with a vengeance. You have to love it though, "He's using his right to legal counsel, they can't hold that against him in a court of law but we sure will!" Edited by Dravin

Or they realize that the husband is always the first suspect and is usually crucified by the media, that wrongful convictions do happen and the something said wrongly can send the cops barking up your tree with a vengeance. You have to love it though, "He's using his right to legal counsel, they can't hold that against him in a court of law but we sure will!"

Or maybe he has police/lawyers in their family - I grew up with an Uncle that was a Detective Chief Superintendent so a high ranking police officer and he taught me never to speak to a police officer without a lawyer present. I have never done anything serious but I have business cards of two of the best lawyers in the area in my wallet, a few months ago when we caught a kid from the neighbourhood taking dodgy pictures of my children I phoned a solictor before the police. When my children become a bit older they too will carry a lawyers business card, for me its as important as knowing how to obtain medical help

Or he has the proper gear/knows how to winter camp. The fact that he didn't show up at the camp site is the more suspcious (I'm assuming this is an actual camp ground we are talking about where one would expect paperwork in a strong box or what have you). But then of course he may have realized, "Dang that's cold!" and did something else.

Of course if he did there'd probably be some paper work at a motel or some such to collaborate that.

Or they realize that the husband is always the first suspect and is usually crucified by the media, that wrongful convictions do happen and the something said wrongly can send the cops barking up your tree with a vengeance. You have to love it though, "He's using his right to legal counsel, they can't hold that against him in a court of law but we sure will!"

I hear ya and I don't want to convict too early either and the media can't wait to exploit the situation. But seriously....the proper gear to take toddlers overnighting in the snow at freezing temperatures? Not teens or scouts. We are talkin tiny children!! If he was experienced I would have expected a lot more prudence. Even her family said it was extremely odd and they knew their daughter wouldn't have consented to it.

And getting a lawyer isn't what is bothering me. I actually think that was a smart move. It's the way he is avoiding. He acts like he has something to hide, not that he is simply protecting his interests. I mean his lawyer won't let him answer questions. Why not cooperate with the police? His lawyer seems to be protecting him as if he has already been charged. If he isn't guity, then why is he acting like it?

I am sorry and I don't want it to be true, but this doesn't look good.

But seriously....the proper gear to take toddlers overnighting in the snow at freezing temperatures? Not teens or scouts.

Now that I've looked up the ages you are right it does look weird, I'd expect at least 8ish or so for that kind of stuff. In the case of toddlers it'd be a good wall tent and a stove and he'd be spending almost all his time in it. You have to remember I'm Alaskan, I used to play as a kid in sub-zero temperatures unsupervised (I've been sledding at -40, though admittedly that was teenish age) all the time. As a toddler it would have been sub-freezing and supervised. With the proper gear (clothing, tent, sleeping bags and possibly stove) you can do fine in some quite cold temperatures.

So to answer you question: Yes, the gear exists. It's all about whether the guy owns or borrowed/rented any of it though. You standard 40 F (they make them rated to -40 F, probably colder if you want to look hard enough ) sleeping bag, nylon 4 man tent and lighter coats you see around here wouldn't have cut it.

Makes the, "thought better of it" thought seem more plausible. Forget weather, who wants to go camping as the only adult with a 4 and 2 year old (except maybe in the back yard)?

He acts like he has something to hide, not that he is simply protecting his interests. I mean his lawyer won't let him answer questions. Why not cooperate with the police? His lawyer seems to be protecting him as if he has already been charged. If he isn't guity, then why is he acting like it?

Because he may be guilty, just not of murder. If he confessed say, he pops her on occasionally when she gets a little mouthy he's going to have cops all over him like white on rice. Heck, admitting something like, "Well, she's been talking about divorce and how she's taking the kids." or "We've been at each other's throats lately, lots of yelling and screaming, the occasional thrown crockery." would land him in trouble. And if he honestly is innocent it isn't going to help the cops find the right guy, just sent them sniffing up the wrong trail.

He'd be screwed, especially if it made it to the media. Of course if the don't talk to anyone is his lawyers advice I can't blame him to much for following it. Here he is in a precarious situation knows that he can readily be convicted for something he didn't do whatever his other faults. He hires a lawyer, somebody who went to school and was trained to keep people like him (innocent or guilty) out of jail.

Edited by Dravin

Before the police even made a statement the media had spun this story against the husband. They have put a negative touch to everything they have said about this case. At first it seemed they were deliberately speculating because people involved in the case refused to speculate. Maybe they are are right and know something they aren't telling, but often the media's bias is disgusting. I wish they were more careful how they present the story...because what they know isn't evidence.

He took his children to visit family for the holidays. That is NOT running nor is it being callus while his wife and their mother are missing. They need the support of family.

If he did do something to her, it is still appropriate that the children be with family. And I would even say his family. If he killed her, If he's found guilty by an un-media-biased jury. Its unlikely the children will get to spend much time with their father's family. They will likely be raised by their mother's family.

This whole story is heartbreaking regardless of the truth we don't know yet. The media has been irresponsible in their reporting.

I have often wondered how anyone gets a fair trial here with the media spending so much time crucifying the suspects. I see it all the time.

I'm not going to say he's guilty yet, but he sure looks it. As far as I'm aware, he never organized or participated in any kind of search for her, including a neighborhood search or even a search of the local rivers, creeks and canals. He never appeared on TV asking for help in finding her, even when cameras were in his face he never really acted too concerned about her. He never went with police to the supposed campsite where he said he went, or told them his route. I do question why the police took 3 days to check out the place where he claims he was camping. If he isn't guilty of this, he certainly hasn't helped himself by being so completely passive about the whole situation.

My guess is that if he did have something to do with her disappearance, she is likely not too far from a main road, and probably somewhere in Utah's West Desert area, if he actually went 'camping' in that direction.

• 1 year later...

Yes I know this is an old thread..but there is an interesting update. I figured people could read the old part to figure out who Susan Powell is.

I'm interested in what is said at the press conference this morning at 10.

ksl.com - Family of Susan Powell await answers in press conference

I think it was more to show the public that they (police) don't consider it to be a dead case and that they are still working on it. That's what I get from it anyway.