Sharing personal sins when teaching others.

lcsc

when people say that, i can't help but discredit their testimony in the importance of their lesson. they might as well be saying, i would only come do this if i was formally called by god to do it. most people don't care who or what's being taught, though. she's safe saying anything. her mistakes can't ruin the church.

Ok, I always thought it was just common knowledge but I wanted to get your input and maybe a link.

I was just discussing my wife's lesson with her and she told me that she told them a story about how she would always skip the class she is now teaching (I know not a big deal). I told her that we should not share stories about our personal shortcomings with people we are teaching, she didn't buy it and all I could really come up with on the spot was that even if it doesn't seem like it is a form of bragging, you should only share personal stories if they are uplifting, also you can help the people you are teaching to justify there own problems by using you as an example instead of Christ. Anyway maybe this is something I learned in the MTC (I can't remember) but it always made perfect sense to me until I was called upon to produce an actual reference:confused:

I tried searching lds.org but didn't find anything.

It's late, I hope my thread was understandable.

No one is useless - If nothing else they can always be used as a bad example.

I believe when teaching we should highlight the joys of covenant obedience and the sorrows of covenant disobedience.

The Traveler

It's funny how we are all so eager to do the "I think" here and yet we have a directive in black and white from church leaders instructing us that when teaching a class we do not share past sins and transgressions.What is the point of being given that instruction if we read it then go away saying "yes but, personally I think...................."?

Heavenly Father says, "Thou shalt not steal" - do we nod our heads wisely and then add "yes but, personally I think ................ if somebody has more than me it's OK, if they are covered by insurance it's OK, if I rob the rich to give to the poor it's OK, if nobody saw me do it it's OK" ?

Just my two penn'orth.

None of us have said that we should get up and discuss a personal story about adultery, or anything of the sort. The example given was about skipping a few classes and finding a way that that related. I hardly find that a sin or a transgression. If the comment was made to provide a little comic relief or to relate in some way to many in the class I honestly don't see the harm.

Teaching, No Greater Calling is a guideline and a book of suggestions to help us with our teaching assignments. In that book it also teaches us to get to know "the one" in our classroom and to teach by the Spirit. If we know of someone who struggles going to class, then what is the harm in relating a personal experience as long as it is followed up by something positive? Again, I'm not saying that if we know of someone who is struggling with a serious sin or transgression that we are personally familiar with that we should have that as part of our lesson. There comes a time when some discretion and judgment is needed.

I personally don't know of anyone who is going to sit in a classroom saying.."Oh my gosh she/he shouldn't have said that..that's against the rules in the book." Or do I?

Edited by pam

It's funny how we are all so eager to do the "I think" here and yet we have a directive in black and white from church leaders instructing us that when teaching a class we do not share past sins and transgressions.What is the point of being given that instruction if we read it then go away saying "yes but, personally I think...................."?

Directive from church leaders

Heavenly Father says, "Thou shalt not steal" - do we nod our heads wisely and then add "yes but, personally I think ................ if somebody has more than me it's OK, if they are covered by insurance it's OK, if I rob the rich to give to the poor it's OK, if nobody saw me do it it's OK" ?

Just my two penn'orth.

Commandment from God. That's not to say we should do our best to follow directives but your talking apples and oranges. Both good fruit. But are different

I can see that the majority of opinion here outweighs the directive from church leaders which I just find a little odd but not unusual here as I have noticed in the past where people have supported each other's personal opinions rather than follow the direction from church leaders. I do find that strange - "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same" (D&C 1:38). I think I'd rather follow the directives of church leaders as published in official documents than go with public opinion, but I suppose you could say that's just my own personal opinion. If it was just down to personal opinion why would our leaders bother giving us the instructons? :confused:

It's funny..if that is a directive that we MUST follow..why in all my years of teaching Primary, Relief Society, Sunday School..of being a Primary President..was I never advised or even told I should have that manual? I'm not talking about from just one ward too. I'm talking numerous wards. I took it upon myself to purchase it out of my own pocket because I happened to come across it.

If we are required to follow it to the letter..why isn't it given out to every person that is called to teach a class along with their lesson manual?

Edited by pam

If we are required to follow it to the letter..why isn't it given out to every person that is called to teach a class along with their lesson manual?

I think it's supposed to be.

I still hold that there is a difference between "sins and trangressions" and misdeeds.

I think there is a difference too.

I think it's supposed to be.

Well in 25+ years of teaching classes I've never had a ward do that. It wasn't until after I purchased it myself that I had one ward suggest it. Never said it was required...just said it gave some great teaching tips.

Edited by pam

It's funny..if that is a directive that we MUST follow..why in all my years of teaching Primary, Relief Society, Sunday School..of being a Primary President..was I never advised or even told I should have that manual? I'm not talking about from just one ward too. I'm talking numerous wards. I took it upon myself to purchase it out of my own pocket because I happened to come across it.

In every ward I've been not only have all teachers been given the manual but we've also had teacher development classes from it for the teachers. Maybe the fact that many of you don't get taught from it does explain the different views here.

In every ward I've been not only have all teachers been given the manual but we've also had teacher development classes from it for the teachers. Maybe the fact that many of you don't get taught from it does explain the different views here.

I've taken the class more than once and I still hold to my view.

You have to be very careful with of stories of past sins or transgressions, You don't want to send the message that it's ok to sin now and repent later, and some members tend live in there past sins refusing to forgive themselves or those who have sinned against them. However we do find Alma and Alma younger in the Book of Mormon retelling there stories to the folks they were teaching the gospel to, Again another reason to let the spirit be your guide

If there was no room for inspiration in a lesson we would be told to read the lesson to our class. Sometimes the lesson taught is not always what is learned. The diffrence is the "Spirit". Even in a class the lesson learned can be diffrent for diffrent people. How would this be possible if it was not for the "Spirit".

Edited by zippy_do46

Like someone already pointed out, good thing Alma Jr. did hold back. He used his conversion story as an example in his ministry, which included his past transgressions.

Sharing our uplifting experiences sometimes includes revealing that we have made mistakes. There is a way to tell the relevant parts without including any details about past sins or transgressions.

For example the following true story about the effectiveness of good home teachers will demonstrate what I mean. When I was a teenager, I strayed away from the Church and from those things that I knew to be right. I found myself in an awful situation, that I could not overcome on my own. The missionaries and our home teacher played a critical part in helping overcome my challenges. I say home teacher, because once I started trying to come back, I was paired up with him, and so, not only was he our home teacher, I was his companion. We went out together faithfully, and he showed me how to care for the families we had stewardship over. In part because of his wisdom and diligence, I was able to put certain weaknesses behind me for good, and repent of my sins. I served an honorable mission after that, and will be forever grateful for that faithful servant of the Lord.

Regards,

Vanhin

Like someone already pointed out, good thing Alma Jr. did hold back. He used his conversion story as an example in his ministry, which included his past transgressions.

Sharing our uplifting experiences sometimes includes revealing that we have made mistakes. There is a way to tell the relevant parts without including any details about past sins or transgressions.

Thank you Vanhin:) for a great example of how to use ones own experiences when teaching without going into the 'nitty gritty' of their personal details. No one really wants to hear them anyway - oh well except the gossips I suppose LOL

I found this quote (below) very interesting considering some comments have touched on the topic. I started researching the topic of teaching after reading the various comments in this thread and as a result I have learnt a lot from it, thank you. :)

Please know that putting the following quote here is not intended to be directed at anyone or their point of view -

Elder Spencer W. Kimball stated: “There are those today who seem to take pride in disagreeing with the orthodox teachings of the Church and who present their own opinions which are at variance with the revealed truth. Some may be partially innocent in the matter; others are feeding their own egotism; and some seem to be deliberate. Men may think as they please, but they have no right to impose upon others their unorthodox views. Such persons should realize that their own souls are in jeopardy” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1948, 109)

31 Condemn me not because of mine aimperfection, neither my father, because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him; but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been.

Mormon 9:31 comes to mind the respsonsibility is also on the listener to take it as intended

For example the following true story about the effectiveness of good home teachers will demonstrate what I mean. When I was a teenager, I strayed away from the Church and from those things that I knew to be right. I found myself in an awful situation, that I could not overcome on my own. The missionaries and our home teacher played a critical part in helping overcome my challenges. I say home teacher, because once I started trying to come back, I was paired up with him, and so, not only was he our home teacher, I was his companion. We went out together faithfully, and he showed me how to care for the families we had stewardship over. In part because of his wisdom and diligence, I was able to put certain weaknesses behind me for good, and repent of my sins. I served an honorable mission after that, and will be forever grateful for that faithful servant of the Lord.

Regards,

Vanhin

Great example of an uplifting and inspirational story.

Thanks