Non-Temple Wedding

peacejoylove

I am helping my cousin plan her wedding. She is LDS, her fiance is LDS, all of her family is LDS, and her fiance's family is LDS. Everyone is LDS. However, they are not able to get married in the temple at this time. They are having their bishop officiate their ceremony, and I am just wondering--What type of ceremony is appropriate? Are there any specific guidelines? Especially pertaining to the exchanging of vows--are there specific vows for such occasions? Or would it be acceptable for them to write their own? Does the ceremony need to be traditional or do they have flexibility? Please let me know anything that you know about this type of ceremony! Thank you!

My husband was inactive when we married and I was not a member yet. The Bishop married us and it was very simple and short. Everyone who was not a member commented on how short it was. There were vows but they were the traditional ones. There was not a ring ceremony however it was more like we traded rings to show our commitment. We were married in the temple the following year and it was amazing! I am sure the Bishop who is marrying them will be able to answer all your questions.

My husband was inactive when we married and I was not a member yet. The Bishop married us and it was very simple and short. Everyone who was not a member commented on how short it was. There were vows but they were the traditional ones.

I attended an LDS non-temple wedding a few years ago. I was surprised at how short it was, too. I think the vows were also traditional.

I am helping my cousin plan her wedding. She is LDS, her fiance is LDS, all of her family is LDS, and her fiance's family is LDS. Everyone is LDS. However, they are not able to get married in the temple at this time. They are having their bishop officiate their ceremony, and I am just wondering--What type of ceremony is appropriate? Are there any specific guidelines? Especially pertaining to the exchanging of vows--are there specific vows for such occasions? Or would it be acceptable for them to write their own? Does the ceremony need to be traditional or do they have flexibility? Please let me know anything that you know about this type of ceremony! Thank you!

for a nontemple one? there really aren't any guidelines.. the nontemple one my cousin had was held outdoors at a place that was made mainly for weddings... about the only fancy parts were how people were dressed and the food that was provided afterwards.

They had the local bishop perform the ceremony.

My first marriage was performed by a Bishop and we didn't write our own vows just cos. It was very short and nothing fancy, like others have said. We got married on Church grounds but I don't believe it has to be that way. Oh and we did have a ring ceremony where we exchanged rings.

Guest mysticmorini

if the wedding is to be preformed in the chapel by the bishop or SP (the only two Priesthood holders authorized to preform the ceremony at the ward level) there are some pretty clear guidelines in the CHI including the vow's to be used, I believe writing your own vow's is discouraged. above all, civil ceremonies are to be in such a manner as to yield proper respect to Temple marriages.

on the other hand if the ceremony is held at another location by any other authority you can do whatever you want. I knew a lds couple that did a samurai wedding in a cave, believe it or not.

There was not a ring ceremony however it was more like we traded rings to show our commitment.

In a typical wedding ceremony (non-temple type) there are vows and a couple would exchange rings. Separating the wedding ceremony from the ring exchange is weird, because the ring exchange is part of the ceremony.

In a typical wedding ceremony (non-temple type) there are vows and a couple would exchange rings. Separating the wedding ceremony from the ring exchange is weird, because the ring exchange is part of the ceremony.

Okay after we said our I do's the bishop said would you like to exchange rings which we did. There was no with this ring I thee wed or any of that typical stuff said.

Here is how is basically went

Bishop talked about the most successful men are only successful if they have a successful marriage or something like that...

He said do you take this man to be your husband till death do you part I said "I do"

He looked to my husband and said do you take this woman to be your wife till death do you part he said "I do"

Next he said I think the couple has rings for each other which we then we gave each other our rings without really saying anything. He put the ring on my finger and I put his on his hand.

Then I think he said something about our marriage only being for time and not eternity.

Then the bishop said you can kiss your bride and announced us Mr. and Mrs.

What I always considered a ring ceremony was the whole with this ring I thee wed blah blah. I don't really consider my wedding a ring ceremony because we just exchanged rings. I can see how this would be confusing if you have always been a member because I have seen were an LDS couple will have what they call a ring ceremony (mainly because someone like grandma isnt a member or doesnt have a recommended and wants to view the "wedding")where they exchange rings but say the whole "with this ring I thee wed blah blah"

Okay this is super confusing! I am actually confusing myself! :eek:

Hi Nikkie85, typically with a non-LDS type wedding ceremony (religious or civil) there are words said during the ring exchange which is part of the whole wedding ceremony; no one ever sees it as a "ring ceremony" because it's a part of the whole. Now, when speaking about an LDS style wedding, the term "Ring Ceremony" actually means something since rings are not exchanged during a "Sealing". During a "Ring Ceremony" only rings are exchanged and no words are said during the exchange.

Edited by Maureen

Hi Nikkie85, typically with a non-LDS type wedding ceremony (religious or civil) there are words said during the ring exchange which is part of the whole wedding ceremony; no one ever sees it as a "ring ceremony" because it's a part of the whole. Now, when speaking about an LDS style wedding, the term "Ring Ceremony" actually means something since rings are not exchanged during a "Sealing". During a "Ring Ceremony" only rings are exchanged and no words are said during the exchange.

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I think some bishops are a little more lenient than others. When the bishop married me and my husband, we didn't have the line of groomsmen, and I didn't follow bridesmaids up the aisle while on my father's arm. He also told us we could only use the traditional vows.

However, when my husband's cousin got married, they did all that and exchanged a brief vow over the ring exchange. Personally I don't care for all the pomp in a "regular" ceremony, it felt overblown. I liked walking up the aisle at my husband-to-be's side, stopping in front of the bishop and having simple vows over a brief message from the bishop (our message was about leaving the parents to cleave to the spouse and becoming a half of a whole).