Choice verses Calling?

Traveler

There have been some threads concerning choices we make in this life. It has been most interesting to me to see what many posters (both LDS and non-LDS) think is a choice. Or in other words how much actual input do they think we have in this life in determining what will be.

This prompts me to ask a question and seek more clarification. I want everyone to think this through clearly before giving an answer. Do you believe we choose (or should choose) our callings? Is it a good idea to meet with your church leaders and “TELL” them what you have chosen to do?

Have I stacked this deck well enough that someone might desire to play? ;)

The Traveler

In this case, God does the choosing of who gets called to do what. Our choice is to accept or pass. Of course, we can make our interest known to the leaders but that doesn't have to have any bearing on who is going to be called to do what.

I don't think it's wrong to give input for what your interests and talents are. If a man is interested in scouting and likes to do it, I have no problem with him expressing those preferences to his leaders. If a man despises the scouting program, it is usually counter-productive to call him to be scoutmaster. If a woman likes to play the piano, there's no reason to not invite her to play in some capacity in the church. Our talents are given to us to bless the lives of others, and if we have specific talents and we enjoy doing them, there's nothing wrong with telling our leaders about that.

Now, I do draw the line at aspiring to positions of leadership, especially priesthood leadership. I think we should all be preparing ourselvesboth temporally and spiritually to be able to do those kinds of jobs, but I don't think you should be telling your stake president that you should be the bishop of your ward. The Lord should be the one to make and guide those decisions.

I believe I chose my calling that I didn't think I had any talent or know-how to do. I know that Heavenly Father knows me better than I know myself. And knowing that makes me trust that He will put me in callings that are designed for my growth and (hopefully) bless the lives of those I serve in that calling.

And, I see no harm in telling church leaders of the talents we have and offering them for the good of a calling. BUT, one shouldn't get upset if the leaders (who are inspired) do not put you in the position/calling you think is the one you should have.

There have been some threads concerning choices we make in this life. It has been most interesting to me to see what many posters (both LDS and non-LDS) think is a choice. Or in other words how much actual input do they think we have in this life in determining what will be.

This prompts me to ask a question and seek more clarification. I want everyone to think this through clearly before giving an answer. Do you believe we choose (or should choose) our callings? Is it a good idea to meet with your church leaders and “TELL” them what you have chosen to do?

The Traveler

if we had any choice in our callings it most likely would have been in the pre-life, but htere is not much info in regards to that.. in this life however, what the calling is is not made by the individual recieveing it. The choice that lies with the one recieving it is whether to accept it or reject it.

I don't think it's wrong to give input for what your interests and talents are. If a man is interested in scouting and likes to do it, I have no problem with him expressing those preferences to his leaders. If a man despises the scouting program, it is usually counter-productive to call him to be scoutmaster. If a woman likes to play the piano, there's no reason to not invite her to play in some capacity in the church. Our talents are given to us to bless the lives of others, and if we have specific talents and we enjoy doing them, there's nothing wrong with telling our leaders about that.

Now, I do draw the line at aspiring to positions of leadership, especially priesthood leadership. I think we should all be preparing ourselvesboth temporally and spiritually to be able to do those kinds of jobs, but I don't think you should be telling your stake president that you should be the bishop of your ward. The Lord should be the one to make and guide those decisions.

I agree.. do everything you can stack the dice in your favor.. pester the judge until you get an answer.

In the world outside of Church, people usually do a better job when they can choose what to do. That is because they know themselves and what skills and resources they have. When this does not happen in a volunteer setting, it can result poor performance, poor attendance and the job not getting done.

To paraphrase at least one apostle

We do not seek a calling, nor do we refuse one, nor do we ask to be released from one.

so....no, you don't tell your bishop what callings you are interested in.

There is a difference between seeking a calling and telling the bishop what things you would like to be involved with.

In the world outside of Church, people usually do a better job when they can choose what to do. That is because they know themselves and what skills and resources they have. When this does not happen in a volunteer setting, it can result poor performance, poor attendance and the job not getting done.

Calls aren't extended to maximize the efficiency of a unit though.

Calls aren't extended to maximize the efficiency of a unit though.

That is totally true in my case for a long time. Even in my present calling as door greeter I am learning and growing. I am by nature a shy person. If I had my druthers I would be a hermit; but the Lord won’t let me. The Lord has more ambition for me than I do.

I think it better to refuse a calling you honestly do not think you can fulfill, much less magnify, than to be so stressed/unhappy that you do not attend Church at all, or do so sporadically, because of it. I have two teachers now, that this is the case. I, personally, have never known a member to become more active because of a calling they felt inadequate to fulfill, yet I have known at least 10 members, over the years, that stopped coming because of a calling. What is the point to accept, then not to be there...this does not benefit anyone.

I think it better to refuse a calling you honestly do not think you can fulfill, much less magnify, than to be so stressed/unhappy that you do not attend Church at all, or do so sporadically, because of it. I have two teachers now, that this is the case. I, personally, have never known a member to become more active because of a calling they felt inadequate to fulfill, yet I have known at least 10 members, over the years, that stopped coming because of a calling. What is the point to accept, then not to be there...this does not benefit anyone.

This is truly the nature of callings - it can be quite a challenge. But for this challenge there is a purpose and because of our free agency we can refuse to meet it.

Moses was called to lead an entire nation out of Egypt. He himself tried to refuse the calling because he doesn't think he can honestly fulfill the calling since he cannot do public speaking. But Moses put himself in the hands of God and fulfilled his calling in faith. God knew Aaron would help him.

I have only been a member for one week when the RS asked me to teach "Teaching for Our Times". I didn't even know to call it "sacrament meeting" instead of "mass" let alone try to teach doctrine! I truly felt I was the worst person to be called for this teaching position. But, it was my first calling. I didn't feel right about refusing it. So, I taught. And it was very rough. Imagine trying to teach from the Ensign when sitting smack dab in the middle of the front row is the Stake President's wife. I would say something like, "President Hinckley built temples", and somebody would say, "When I received my endowments..." and I would say, "Uhm, sorry, I don't know what endowments mean" and try very hard to avoid the Stake President's wife's eyes while saying it...

I was spending 100 hours every month trying to prepare for a 40-minute lesson. It is a trying time for a new member. But, if I didn't have that calling, I wouldn't have learned the words of the prophet like I know it now. I held the calling for 2 years and that was the strongest I have ever been spiritually. I surrendered the calling to God - I did my best and I trusted Him to do the rest.

I disagree. The issue you bring up I believe is the job of the leaders to train/support someone who feels subpar or stressed out over a calling. And also impress upon those being called that their best is suffiecient. Not the best of Brother/Sister Jones but their best. Also the Bishop/Branch President needs to also go in depth about what the real limitations are of the individual and encourage them despite those limitations.

Again this is leadership failing the individual.

The calling is from the Lord. He knows the circumstances in that persons life.

I disagree. The issue you bring up I believe is the job of the leaders to train/support someone who feels sub par or stressed out over a calling. And also impress upon those being called that their best is sufficient. Not the best of Brother/Sister Jones but their best. Also the Bishop/Branch President needs to also go in depth about what the real limitations are of the individual and encourage them despite those limitations.

Well, regardless of whose job...etc., we are short (missing two who just quit coming, with three that attend sporadically, without getting a sub or letting the Presidency know). Two have asked to be released, but will not be released till another is called. In the interim, neither one has been back to Church.

So, yes, I would have rather had them refuse the calling, knowing they did not want it, than to accept...who was served by their accepting? :confused:

Hidden

There is a difference between seeking a calling and telling the bishop what things you would like to be involved with.

Agreed.

We can also inform our leaders of new situations in our life that might make a release from a calling appropriate, but we need to leave the decision for the release up to the leader.

Virtually never is it appropriate to say "Release me from this calling" or "I want that calling"

Well, regardless of whose job...etc., we are short (missing two who just quit coming, with three that attend sporadically, without getting a sub or letting the Presidency know). Two have asked to be released, but will not be released till another is called. In the interim, neither one has been back to Church.

So, yes, I would have rather had them refuse the calling, knowing they did not want it, than to accept...who was served by their accepting? :confused:

You are caught up in the effects of others choices. So is the way of Life. By refusing a call from the Lord we are forfeiting blessings. It is no different than any other principal of the Gospel on which we chose to ignore or refuse to live. Those also affect the others around us. This just happens to affect you personally from a Church administration standpoint. Yeah it sucks but such is free agency and the consquences that follow bad decisions.

I'm a Bishop and have seen what your talking about numerous times. I've also seen the flipside. Where someone rises to the challenge and doors open for them they never thought possible. It is amazing what a little faith and eternal perspective will acomplish in someones life.

I pray your situation will get better. I also pray for those who feel burdened or inadequete for their callings in the Church(myself one of those). Like President Hinckley's father said for him to lose himself in the work such it is for us. If we do that the rest falls into place for the most part.

This has been a topic of discussion between my husband and I over the last several weeks. I too have seen people become overwhelmed by a new calling and become less active as a way of dealing with their feelings of inadequacy. I think that if leadership feels inspired to extend a call, it is a call from the Lord and should be accepted. That doesn't mean that someone accepting a calling can't discuss their concerns with leadership. That could lead to them having the support they need to be successful. Thanks to anatess for sharing her experience with an overwhelming calling. If we rise to the challenge, our best is all that is asked and we will grow from each calling we have. How much we grow may depend on how much we are willing to put into it. Someone who gives up isn't going to get much out of their calling. I'm not sure that the point of a calling is to find who is the most qualified and who will be the most effective at the job, it is often who needs the experience and growth in this area, and offers an opportunity to them to grow in that area. Even if they accept the calling, their choices afterward show if they are truly accepting the calling in word or in word and deed. It is hard to see callings not be fulfilled because of choices that people make, but I still think they deserve the opportunity to experience an experience for growth regardless. It is difficult as a leader of an organization when those who accept callings choose not not fulfill them adequately. I end up dealing with this problem on an almost weekly basis, but I'm starting to figure out ways to be prepared to expect that people may not be prepared.

The Traveler

Well, I have never told my leaders what callings I'm interested in. It's always been my understanding that that is not how the Church works. However, I don't think any harm would be done should one volunteer for a calling. If the leaders don't agree with the suggestion/are inspired against it, then they can turn your offer down. Many wards I've been in have passed questionnaires out to the members, inquiring about their skills, experience, interests, past callings, and needs, and I imagine they consider what they learn through those questionnaires when trying to fill callings.

HEP

Well, I have never told my leaders what callings I'm interested in. It's always been my understanding that that is not how the Church works. However, I don't think any harm would be done should one volunteer for a calling. If the leaders don't agree with the suggestion/are inspired against it, then they can turn your offer down. Many wards I've been in have passed questionnaires out to the members, inquiring about their skills, experience, interests, past callings, and needs, and I imagine they consider what they learn through those questionnaires when trying to fill callings.

HEP

Also I think that the interview itself is the best place to let the leaders and the person being called all the info that affects the calling. Being honest about situations, current trials and expectations curbs issues that may arise.

HEP

i agree. I'd like to add that if you let your bishop or leader know what skills you have or what callings you'd thihnk you'd be beneficial in... it gives them that much more knowledge to study when they pray for inspiration.

Some thoughts about our agency and our callings and choices. I thought I would give a homework assignment to those of the forum that are interested.

First a scripture about agency.

D&C 93: 31: Behold, here is the agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man; because that which was from the beginning is plainly manifest unto them, and they receive not the light.

And now some scripture about callings and choices. Please make note of possible sources of callings and choices – That is from where calling come (internal or external) and what is chosen and what is the possibility of choices.

D&C 121: 34, 40

Matt. 20: 16

Matt. 22: 14

D&C 95: 5

Finely I would like to ask the question – What is the difference between a commandment of G-d and a calling as well as the convenient responsibility to being obedient in fulfilling our callings. (I think Hebrews 5:8 are most interesting in reference to Jesus and his calling)

Enjoy -

The Traveler

I thought that there might be some question when I said that a calling is a commandment from G-d. I had saved the best scripture for last but alas no one took the bate – I mean opportunity to look into this. Note 1Nephi 3:5 where Laman and Limual complain that what their priesthood leader had asked of them was a hard thing. Pay particular attention to how Lehi responds to that criticism laid against him.

And so I ask again – how much ought we advise our priesthood leaders concerning our callings?

The Traveler