Do you get less flat tires if you are righteous?

PeterRiley

I want to see if I have this right. Are there some here that think it makes little difference in our life here on earth by living the gospel?

Kinda. It isn't that it doesn't make a difference but that it is not a cause and effect (karma) type thing.

When potty training my oldest i tried to "bribe" her (what is the difference between a bribe and reward anyway?) by giving her M&Ms or stickers when she went potty in the potty, but she got nothing for accidents. Everything was going good for a while until the accidents became more and more frequent and i asked "What's going on" to which she replied "You didn't give me candy yesterday"

Turns out she didn't have a "change of heart" so to speak. She wasn't "following the gospel" of potty training because she wanted to be a big girl but because she wanted the instant reward.

Eventually she got it and got the reward of being a big girl, having that confidence and pride that goes along with it and some external reward (underwear) but that the external pales in comparison to the internal.

I believe the gospel is similar. God doesn't reward us with, fancy cars, no flats, pay raises, which i believe if you look at the stats religions affiliation would have little to do with.

But with the internal. The pride of knowing you are doing the right thing, setting a good example etc. And while some days it may not feel like it that is worth way more then the corner office, the home on the hill.

Occasionally we may be rewarded with "big boy/girl" underwear but it's the big boy big girl status that is the real reward.

Edited by hordak

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this is a silly thread title, but I got to wondering if by following the commandments we are in a better position to receive blessings other than the three most talked about blessings: personal revelation, the feeling of the Holy Ghost, and being financially rewarded for paying tithes and offerings.

It goes without saying that there are natural benefits to keeping the commandments, like better health if one keeps the Word of Wisdom, but does the Lord grant blessings other than the three mentioned above? For example, say for example one day I say my prayers, read my scriptures, think pure thoughts, etc. Will I be less likely to get a flat tire on this day than on a day that I am being unrighteous? I realize that following the gospel gives one the Spirit, which gives one the strength to pass through trials whether it be a flat tire or experiencing the passing on of a loved one. And it seems that faithful active members experience the same amount of trials than non-members do. But does anyone think that there are good and bad things that naturally occur to someone that might be seemingly unrelated to the commandments he/she keeps or breaks?

The reason why I ask is that I want more of an incentive to follow the Lord, and if I hear other's examples and opinions, it might help with this. Thanks a lot.

I would suggest reading the book of Job. When one understands blessings it is seldom about self serving, especially in the moment. Anyone that has competed in sports realizes that to become a winning world class athlete requires a lot of training. One could consider that having the best trainer in the world would be a blessing for your training.

However, seldom do athletes in training consider what the trainer is doing to them a blessing. Some even consider what is occurring as punishment for not performing well enough. In reality “difficult” and intense training is a process of preparing an athlete for winning. Many come to think of “training” as the curse that must be endured to prove worthy to be in the game. My father that was the #1 skier in the USA for over 65 prior to his passing; he once told me that it is the understanding that the training (process) is the real goal. When we learn to enjoy what makes us better then that becomes our real goal; then winning is not really that important because we are motivated by our training and the competition becomes just an extension of training.

Many do not like being a disciple of the master and give up because they never learn to love and enjoy the training. I would also suggest watching an episode of “The Biggest Looser”.

The Traveler

I want to see if I have this right. Are there some here that think it makes little difference in our life here on earth by living the gospel?

Well, I wouldn't say that. There's a saying I really like, "Righteousness is its own reward." You feel good when you do the right thing, you can live with a clean conscience. This is not to say all righteous people feel happy all the time (good people get depressed, too), but that righteousness is a contributing factor to inner peace. It may also contribute to your physical well-being. The commandments are not arbitrary--they are meant to help us live well. If you smoke, you are more likely to get lung cancer than if you don't. You may get cancer anyway, but less likely. If you treat other people with kindness, they are more likely to treat you nicely. And so forth. Plus, doing something nice for something just feels good, even if there is no other reward.

In any case, the gospel is not about blessings and punishments--it's about people's relationships with each other and with God.

HEP

Marts1-You hit it on the head, righteous folks really are selfish, but in a good way. :)

Loudmouth Mormon-joy and peace are great, but aren't we entitled to something more?

Iggy-You made a good point in the last post-the most faithful folks in the gospel many times are the most mellow. Maybe you got the muffler from the manufacturer for free and found out you didn't have to replace you holding tank because you were righteous, what do you think?

Alright, say you have two guys, both are faithful priesthood holders, one's calling is passing out bulletins before sacrament, and the other's calling is the bishop. What blessings besides "treasures in heaven" would be given to the bishop? Isn't it unjust that we don't get blessed temporally for things we do? I realize we are given the Spirit which mellows us out a bit, but couldn't we essentially learn "mellowness" from self help books, therapists, and self discipline?

I know it did NOT happen because I was more righteous. It happened because satan was royally pissed he had lost me. It happened because Father wanted me to learn patience, compassion, anger control, and to control my filthy mouth. As for learning from self help books- I don't know. Personally I prefer to learn from Father and my own life experience. Father had infinite patience and love. He forgives me my errors and He rejoices with me my successes.

As for temporally- yes He blessed me during this time temporally. Even though I really didn't shop for much food, there was always food in my cupboard. I also was blessed with the ability to cook the food. Never in my life had I ever made Cream of Broccoli soup. I absolutely love it. I had a huge head that was not going to keep much longer. I also didn't have internet going then. The cost of internet was the same cost as a tank of gas. I needed the gas much, much more. So I didn't have that access to find a receipt. So I made the soup like I would make cream of potato but without the potatoes and bacon.

It turned out fantastic. I also ended up with nearly three gallons. Guess what, the Sister Missionaries both loved Cream of Broccoli soup! So I gave them a gallon. I also gave a gallon to the Mexican family one house down from me.

The temporal blessings from Father were readily acknowledge by me and I made sure to relate such to those who received the soup. God gave me the bounty and the knowledge to make this soup- my soup pot literally runneth over-

PeterRiley- you are asking for way more than you deserve. I was taught way back when I was just in grade school and going to a Protestant church at the time - to not test God. To not demand what I felt was just rewards for things that I had done in His name.

I didn't intentionally make 3 gallons of soup so that I could give it away and rack up brownie points with God. I made soup to use up the broccoli before it went bad. I ended up with three gallons. Now I knew that soup will only freeze for up to three months. I also knew I would never consume that much soup in three months. It would go bad and I would have to throw it out.

The Sister Missionaries stopped by and I asked if they liked this soup. They did, I gave them a gallon. As I was walking them to their house- three houses down from me. The mother of the family next to me was outside and we all visited a bit. The Sisters mentioned that I had given them soup. She said her family loved that soup. Now I could give them a gallon.

I don't barter with Father. I don't demand that I be given blessings par to the "righteous" things that I do for others. I actually don't do things for others with the thought that Father is going to reciprocate with blessings. I do it because I can, and because the recipient needs my offerings. AND I mostly do it anonymously.

Edited by Iggy

There, is that better?

Yes thanks. I still prefer black (that's a personal opinion not a moderator comment) but the blue is much better. Red is fine in small does, so for instance redding the relevant part of the quote is cool, it was just that it was the whole post.

i know some Priesthood holders bless their homes. Why not a set of Sears Diehard all-season radials?

:mellow:

Moksha, I think you are being evasive about the fact that Cardinal Ignatius Glick blessed his golf clubs. That is one way to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Posted Image

The motivation behind my posts was that I have been trying so hard to be righteous, I read the scriptures daily, pray, home teach, magnify my calling, etc, etc, etc, but I seldom feel the Spirit in my life and have not been spared trials either. I am beginning to think the feeling of the Spirit is induced my endorphins, and some folks are just more fortunate to have more of this juice running in their veins than others. This could explain why it is easier for some to do good than others. Shouldn't Heavenly Father bless us with the same ability to feel the Spirit equally? I mean, is it fair that one guy has more "Spirit endorphins" than another guy? I appreciate all of your insightful comments.

The motivation behind my posts was that I have been trying so hard to be righteous, I read the scriptures daily, pray, home teach, magnify my calling, etc, etc, etc, but I seldom feel the Spirit in my life and have not been spared trials either. I am beginning to think the feeling of the Spirit is induced my endorphins, and some folks are just more fortunate to have more of this juice running in their veins than others. This could explain why it is easier for some to do good than others. Shouldn't Heavenly Father bless us with the same ability to feel the Spirit equally? I mean, is it fair that one guy has more "Spirit endorphins" than another guy? I appreciate all of your insightful comments.

I hereby reject the terminology of "Spirit endorphins" and refer you to Doctrine and Covenants 46

11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.

12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.

So no, we shouldn't all be blessed equally. We are all blessed differently so that we may uplift and edify one another. I think if I were to give advice to one in your situation, based on what you say my first words would be that you should follow the commandments and counsels you follow not because it has any benefit to you, but because it's what the Lord has asked you to do.

I currently serve as the clerk in my ward. It isn't uncommon for me to wake up on Sunday mornings and begin preparing for meetings at around 7:00 AM. I have my first meeting at 9:00 AM. I get home from church at 5:00 PM, and then finish wrapping up my reports around 8:00 PM. I get absolutely nothing out of my calling but stress and frustration. But my talents and the work that I do make it possible for the leaders in my ward to focus their efforts on the members. I feel absolutely no reward or benefit for my service, and can only have faith that what I do is helping to enrich the lives of others.

I would submit that you are a better person than I will ever be, because when I used to clerk, in the back of my mind I was assuming the Lord was going to bless me temporally. Not with big bucks, but by helping me pass my grad school tests, gain new insights on how to better myself, etc. I never have and maybe never will do something just to please Heavenly Father. Maybe this shows that I am a selfish person. What about the whole D and C law irrevocably decreed in heaven verse? You don't think your hard hours clerking ever come back as blessings other than a feeling of satisfaction?

I would submit that you are a better person than I will ever be, because when I used to clerk, in the back of my mind I was assuming the Lord was going to bless me temporally. Not with big bucks, but by helping me pass my grad school tests, gain new insights on how to better myself, etc. I never have and maybe never will do something just to please Heavenly Father. Maybe this shows that I am a selfish person. What about the whole D and C law irrevocably decreed in heaven verse? You don't think your hard hours clerking ever come back as blessings other than a feeling of satisfaction?

Believe me, I'm not a better person than you. I think most people that know me would confirm that I'm one of the most arrogant and self-centered people you'll ever meet. But I have learned that following commandments doesn't always bring us blessings that we would expect.

For illustration, I offer a couple of nuggets. One of Elder Eyring's talks was published in the October 2002 Ensign in which he focused on education. He spoke about the importance of putting aside our studies on the Sabbath to focus on things of a sacred nature. One would think that the natural blessing that would follow on the heels of giving up your studies on the Sabbath would be better grades. But Elder Eyring wisely denounced this, saying, "I cannot promise academic success...." Instead, he offered

Nor can I tell you the way in which He will honor His promise of adding blessings upon you. But I can promise you that if you will go to Him in prayer and ask what He would have you do next, promising that you will put His kingdom first, He will answer your prayer and He will keep His promise to add upon your head blessings, enough and to spare. Those apparent prison walls of “not enough time” will begin to recede, even as you are called to do more. LDS.org - Ensign Article - Education for Real Life

Again, that principle of putting His kingdom first-of doing things for the right reason-comes into play. When we do so, we don't know the ways in which we will be blessed, or the time frame.

My second illustration is of a different nature. While serving as a stake YSA representative, I had the good fortune to become friends with a woman who had been inactive for several years. She had recently broken up with her boyfriend and was readjusting to a life as an active member of the Church. One night we went climbing at a local rock gym and afterwards went to grab a slurpee. While we talked, she confided in me some of the struggles and frustrations she was having. I felt impressed to offer her a blessing, which she accepted. I took a minute to ponder the words that I should say, and what I was instructed to say has always stuck with me. The word of the Lord to her was that there were consequences from her previous choices that could not be undone. No amount of repentance could lift those consequences off of her. But that did not change the fact that the Atonement could heal all of the scars that those consequences would leave.

So if honoring the Sabbath is a commandment, why aren't we blessed with better grades if we don't study on Sunday? or why wasn't that young woman freed from the consequences of her decisions when she repented?

The simple answer is that living the commandments doesn't make our lives easier. Living the commandments makes our lives better.

But it only makes our lives better when we live the commandments for the right reason-because we have faith in and love for our Savior and our Father in Heaven.

Guest Alana

Not if you're name is Job. Maybe if you're righteous you learn more from the flat tire, like patience, to be humble and thankful, and that AAA is a good idea.

trials aren't really trials once you are through them and dealt with them they usually turn out to be the greatest blessings in our lives. We are all born and blessed with what we need to reach our full potential eternally its our decision whether or not we become that person, Chieko Okazaki has been on every general presidency a woman can serve on, yet she talked in one of her books about how she never gets these great vision like, earth shaking spiritual experiences, but she also realises its simply she doesn;t need them to progress.

Also there is a possibility that some people know get along with understand Heavenly Father/Jesus better than others because thats how families work.

living the commandments doesn't make our lives easier. Living the commandments makes our lives better.

I really like that quote, Margin of Error. Thanks for your thoughts.

Also, good to know about the gen Authority-I know that some thinkthey walk with God everyday

Just curious, what do you think about that idea?

I meant to say that some people who are not GA's think that GA's are privileged walk and talk with angels, I didnt mean to say that some GA's think they do this.

And what do you think?

I know this was meant for PeterRiley, but I wanted to answer it.

I hope and pray that all the GA's, 70's, actually all of the priesthood holders, leaders, women and ya in the church, walk and talk with God!