"Utah Mormons"

Landy77

I am new to the church. I have over heard a few criticisms made about "Utah Mormons"? I am not sure what the deal is. It seems that Utah mormons get made fun of and I didn't know why? My wife grew up in the church and she said they think they are better because they are from Utah. Is this common in the church?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Dravin said it is a stereotype. My MIL says that Utah Mormons are like baptists...meaning they attend Church on Sunday but then live like they want to during the week. Needless to say she has no idea what she is talking about concerning Baptists or Utah mormons! I will say though that we have had sisters move to our ward (in NC) from Utah or Idaho and they where in total culture shock. Most of them eventually move back. The Church culture is different down here because you can go your whole week and not see a member of the Church. We have a pretty decent sized ward but it covers a pretty big city and lots of little towns. There is one sister who has been her for almost two years and all she does is complain about how sisters in NC are not as righteous as sisters in Utah or that her girls will have no one to marry because there are slim pickings. Needless to say she has not made many friends! Most of the Missionaries that we get are from Utah, Idaho, or Arizona and for the most part they have all been great.

Guest Alana

Never been to Utah. I admit the idea of going there does seem a little scary. My stereotype ideas of it include that they have random hair (big, sometimes with random highlights), smack their gum and like to decorate their kitchens with cows and roosters. Please set me straight if these things are incorrect and offensive.

One of the complaints I often hear from "Utah Mormons" where I live is that they have to drive 6 miles to get to the chapel, and that's just so far. It really gets on my nerves since I grew up in an area that required a 30+ minute drive into Canada to go to church. After that, it was a 45 minute drive to get to church. We had members would drive almost an hour to get to early morning seminary.

So yeah, it irritates me when "Utah Mormons" complain about having to drive six miles to get to the chapel. Those are the kinds of things about "Utah Mormons" that get me riled up...mostly things that they complain about that just make it seem like they don't really appreciate how good they have it.

I had my share of Utah Mormons this last summer thanks and I'd rather not repeat the experience. Whilst attending the same ward there for three weeks, we were not approached or spoken to by anyone. I'll stay here in NC thanks.

When we go to visit family in Utah we tend to make fun of the hair (some of the ladies have this "puffy" thing they do that is funny) and I'm told you can tell an act from an inactive member in Utah by how they take their caffine, hot or cold.

One thing positive you can say about Utah Mormons: They know their fry sauce and Jell-O. :)

Fry sauce? Yes, definitely, it was invented here, and well worth the visit to the various burger shops to taste all the different styles. Jello? I saw more Jello by far in 20 years growing up in small-town Idaho than 25 years living in Utah. It's an old stereotype that is largely false. Maybe you're just hanging out with the 1970's hangers-on.

Fry sauce? Yes, definitely, it was invented here, and well worth the visit to the various burger shops to taste all the different styles. Jello? I saw more Jello by far in 20 years growing up in small-town Idaho than 25 years living in Utah. It's an old stereotype that is largely false. Maybe you're just hanging out with the 1970's hangers-on.

Well, that makes sense since Idaho is also known as North Utah.

Thomas Monson is a Utah Mormon. Gordon Hinckley was one until recently. Golden and Heber Kimball were as well. You can tell all your stereotypical Utah jokes all you want, the fact is the generalizations are usually not accurate to the majority of those you laugh at or disparage. It's hurtful to those of us who don't fit those stereotypes, just as you become offended by the few who act ignorant when they visit your town.

I was just asking a question. I am being baptised tomorrow and was wondering. To make everyone feel better, each part of the country has a bit of its own culture. Look at Texas compared to Florida. I think maybe the differences are more geographical upbringing than associated with being a Mormon?

Well, that makes sense since Idaho is also known as North Utah.

Another Generalization. Southeast Idaho does feel that way somewhat because of the influence of the church in that area, but Central and Northern Idaho have completely different religious and cultural breakdowns. For example, People from Southeastern Idaho have virtually no connections, both culturally and physically, with the White Supremacist strongholds in North Idaho, yet they get linked by virtue of the state name.

I was just asking a question. I am being baptised tomorrow and was wondering. To make everyone feel better, each part of the country has a bit of its own culture. Look at Texas compared to Florida. I think maybe the differences are more geographical upbringing than associated with being a Mormon?

You're probably more right than most would acknowledge.

Never been to Utah. I admit the idea of going there does seem a little scary. My stereotype ideas of it include that they have random hair (big, sometimes with random highlights), smack their gum and like to decorate their kitchens with cows and roosters. Please set me straight if these things are incorrect and offensive.

I think you have the Utah Mormons mixed up with the Texas Mormons.

I grew up in SLC. You kind of assume everyone is LDS unless otherwise defined. Most of my friends were LDS but a few were not, but my friends weren't even in my stake, let alone my ward. In fact, I didn't really care for the kids my age in my ward, but unlike here in California, I knew every neighbor by name. it's funny, because it ended at the ward boundaries. Your neighborhood is really defined by your ward and stake. When someone moves in, you immediately try to find out if they are members or not. It's easy to be a Sunday going Mormon, and just not hold a calling. But there are just as many dedicated and faithful members too. And there is just as much diversity, with Utah members being well traveled, and intelligent and culturally diverse.

Growing up, I did baptisms for the dead once. They just didn't have enough temples to do regular temple days for the youth. Here in SoCal, we have temple youth day once a month, but what a blessing to have the Newport Beach temple so you don't have to go to LA or LaJolla. Chapels here are pretty plentiful, and I can think of three or four buildings within a few miles. In Utah, there is a chapel on nearly every block. Funny because my mom lives next to one, but that's not her assigned ward.

One thing I find odd, and it really struck me the first time I visited after a long break, was how much of the news and culture (both LDS and non-LDS) revolves around the church. I picked up the local University of utah rag, and it was all about jokes involving Brigham Young, or some other odd piece of Mormon History. There is no such bias here in CA, and politics are strictly about politics, with no religious or cultural undertones.

I think you have the Utah Mormons mixed up with the Texas Mormons.

Pssh. The only cows and chickens that decorate my chicken are dead ones that are cooked and eaten. And I try hard to keep my hair UNbig, thank you very much. :lol

I was under the impression that the term "Utah Mormon" referred more to a "type" of Mormon than Mormons from any particular state.

It is not just Mormons that live in Utah it is many of those who live in Utah that fit those stereotypes that have been mentioned. A lot of different things can be said about other people in other states too. I have visited many of the US states and find people distinct and different in each state. Too bad they can't all be like us Californians. :)

Ben Raines

It is not just Mormons that live in Utah it is many of those who live in Utah that fit those stereotypes that have been mentioned. A lot of different things can be said about other people in other states too. I have visited many of the US states and find people distinct and different in each state. Too bad they can't all be like us Californians. :)

Ben Raines

Thats another thread ......LOL!!!!