House Republicans call on Obama to secure border

Hemidakota

Here is example of one of the many reasons I believe the democrats party is a lost cause. :D Nor, I don't even endorse the other party either. I believe, Homeland Security be allowed to use military technology and enforce border protection.

ARTICLE EXCERPT: The new law, signed by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer last week, requires police officers in the state to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Slated to go into effect 90 days after the close of Arizona's legislative session, the law would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times. Before that, officers could check someone's immigration status only if that person was suspected in another crime.

BILL LINK: What does Arizona's immigration law do? - CNN.com

ARTICLE LINK: House Republicans call on Obama to secure border - CNN.com

I'm uncertain as to what that has to do with the Democrats party to be a lost cause.

Is it because they oppose a law that will essentially make it necessary for latinos born in the US to always carry their citizenship papers? Or is it because they haven't deployed the national guard to prevent border crossings, which would be horribly expensive and a stopgap measure at best?

Or is it because immigration reform hasn't been tackled yet because the economy and health care were considered more important?

Ultimately, I need to know what it is you're arguing. What is it about this that makes you think the Democrats are a lost cause?

From your second link,

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona, said her constituents were "sick and tired" of the federal government failing to protect the border. The current situation is "completely unacceptable," she said.

Giffords defended a controversial new Arizona law requiring police officers to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Here's a Dem who thinks it's the right thing to do. I'm a Dem who thinks it is, too. It's hard for people who haven't lived by the border of Mexico to understand how porous the thing is. I almost wish we had the same laws regarding illegal immigration Mexico has.

Also from the same article,

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, recently said he will make passing a comprehensive immigration bill a priority once the Senate completes its work on a Wall Street reform bill.

Republican lawmakers have indicated they will put a halt to immigration reform legislation, saying that this is not the right time to take it on.

Edited by talisyn

Let it be known, I don't agree or even endorse both parties. Yet, for the majority dems here in Cali, they support illegal’s being here and do not want to verify birth or natural citizenship. Even the local hospital is now in bankruptcy in serving so many illegal’s who use the emergency rooms and the state shares the same financial problem, cannot even pay for the healthcare. Closing down this main hospital, for us, we now have to travel to a distance hospital south to La Jolla. This is a careless attitude for those here in voted in these office officials. This one of many issues in our own home state that is shared with those across our neighbor, Arizona, texas, and New Mexico. More-or-less, what I have seen, it is for voting purposes and not for the true cause in helping them to return home to their own native land and come here legally.

Some Republicans here will jump on the bandwagon; opposite of what is news worthy event. Not for you and me, for themselves.

Either way, I am patience person who is seeking for a greater change - theocratic government run by the Lord.

A national registry tracks and verifies the identity of every member of the population, who must carry a citizens' identity card. Visitors who do not possess proper documents and identification are subject to arrest as illegal aliens.

Illegal entry into the country is equivalent to a felony punishable by two years' imprisonment.

Document fraud is subject to fine and imprisonment; so is alien marriage fraud.

Evading deportation is a serious crime; illegal re-entry after deportation is punishable by ten years' imprisonment.

Foreigners may be kicked out of the country without due process

The government can bar foreigners if they upset "the equilibrium of the national demographics."

You cannot become a citizen if you do not enhance the country's "economic or national interests" or are "not found to be physically or mentally healthy," or if you show "contempt against national sovereignty or security."

You may not purchase land without citizenship.

Citizens have priority over foreigners under equality of circumstances for all classes of concessions and for all employment, positions, or commissions of the Government in which the status of citizenship is not indispensable.

Non-citizens have no rights to welfare, schooling, or any other government funded program. There is no right to healthcare.

Foreigners can serve in the military only during wartime.

(Those are the immigration laws for Mexico - just for the sake of comparison.)

I'm an independent voter, but I know there are many Democrats in California who think that something needs to be done about illegal immigration as it's a serious problem. One thing I think that needs to happen is that companies who hire illegal immigrants should have stiffer punishments. There are people who are Latino, but their families have lived in the area since before the Mexican/American war, and remained in the area when the current border was drawn up at the end of that war, and it's likely that they speak English, not Spanish.

Half the people who lived in Vista, California, are illegal [51-percent] according to one of the city council members. If that is the case, what tax revenue would the city loose?

Those who lived in the area of California before the new borders were drawn up have been issued citizenship. I highly doubt any of them now, are still foreigners. Let alone, before the Spanish ruthless governors control this area of the southwest, the native americans were here before them. :)

[sOAP BOX HERE] What I found rude any person who comes to America to live, not learning the culture and the language. This is not strictly one culture or country. Living in California, I cannot believe how the state officials, businesses, can accommodate for those who refuse to make a greater change in their lives. Living and visiting various I countries in the past, I made it point to learn the culture of that area and to strive to speak in that native language. However, for us, we learn to accommodate for the masses and neglecting what made this country [uSA]. Stop with the accommodation factor and become a true US citizen. OK!!!! I am the box. Sorry….my siblings are foreigners so don’t even think I’m bias against foreigners. Luckily for me, I was born in Florida. :)

Edited by Hemidakota

I don't know about Hemi, but...

I'm uncertain as to what that has to do with the Democrats party to be a lost cause.

Is it because they oppose a law that will essentially make it necessary for latinos born in the US to always carry their citizenship papers? Or is it because they haven't deployed the national guard to prevent border crossings, which would be horribly expensive and a stopgap measure at best?

Or is it because immigration reform hasn't been tackled yet because the economy and health care were considered more important?

All of the above (except thinking that the economy was more important. What gives Progressive Democrats (gotta love the Blue Dog holdouts) the 'FAIL' label re: the economy is botching the chance for real, lasting financial reform- less regulation).

Big business wans the illegals here for cheap labor.

Both parties are being held hostage by the illegal immigrants. Any party to take a strong stance will have to face the Mexican American voters. They are scared of the Mexican American voters. Both parties know they can get swept out if they take a stance against illegal immigration.

I suspect what is going on in Arizona is really a Republican ploy to get the President to act and trip over this, making him look bad.

I have nothing against these immigrants, they are looking for a better life. But they are breaking the law. If they are breaking the law why can't I? They are also bringing down wages. There does seem to be an attitude that they have the right to be here. No they don't.

You want to stop illegal immigration? Find the people hiring them and put them in prison for ten or fifteen years. You start sending the employers to jail and they will stop hiring them in an instant.

I' don't really support what they are doing in Arizona but there have been times I've thought they should start rounding them up and shipping them back.

Nothing is going to change on this issue. At least not for a long while.

The U.S. is changing big time.

I don't know about Hemi, but...

All of the above (except thinking that the economy was more important. What gives Progressive Democrats (gotta love the Blue Dog holdouts) the 'FAIL' label re: the economy is botching the chance for real, lasting financial reform- less regulation).

Please don't turn this in to an argument for laissez-faire economics. That never goes well, simply because for some it's gospel that this would work and for others, it's the devil incarnate.

If all of those are reasons, then please see my reasons for dismissing them. Immigration reform is a difficult subject, since by its nature tougher laws will affect latinos born within the US borders because of random stops. Without random stops or parking an army along the border with guns, immigration reform won't work. The simple fact is that companies are hiring immigrants and paying them under the table. As long as that's happening, illegal immigration will continue to be a problem.

Please don't turn this in to an argument for laissez-faire economics.

Was never going to try to make it one. The only reason I posted was because I thought it was ironic that you listed everything that I personally (and many others) find to be the problem with the current agenda in government. I had to make the caveat about the economy because I don't think worrying about the economy in and of itself was bad- the problem was the economy was dealt with.

BTW, I wouldn't want to get into a discussion about economics on this board... I don't know enough, and had my fill of it when I was posting as Maxel.

If all of those are reasons, then please see my reasons for dismissing them. Immigration reform is a difficult subject, since by its nature tougher laws will affect latinos born within the US borders because of random stops.

While I feel for U.S. born Latinos and legal immigrants, I don't think inconveniencing them should be a reason to not enact reform- something akin to the Arizona legislation. I'm unaware of a Constitutional right to not have one's legal status checked.

Without random stops or parking an army along the border with guns, immigration reform won't work.

I'm all for an electric fence that actually keeps people out, and the military securing the border. I also think we might benefit from making it easier to become a citizen- I think part of the problem is mountains of red tape that someone has to go through to become a legal citizen.

The simple fact is that companies are hiring immigrants and paying them under the table. As long as that's happening, illegal immigration will continue to be a problem.

I agree. I think cracking down on businesses knowingly hiring illegals would be another great place to start reform.

Here is example of one of the many reasons I believe the democrats party is a lost cause. :D Nor, I don't even endorse the other party either. I believe, Homeland Security be allowed to use military technology and enforce border protection.

ARTICLE EXCERPT: The new law, signed by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer last week, requires police officers in the state to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Slated to go into effect 90 days after the close of Arizona's legislative session, the law would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times. Before that, officers could check someone's immigration status only if that person was suspected in another crime.

BILL LINK: What does Arizona's immigration law do? - CNN.com

ARTICLE LINK: House Republicans call on Obama to secure border - CNN.com

Somehow i,m gettin the very real sense that obama is going to do something very serious about this issue, but till that can happen we need to have people working in this country first, one thing at a time. or in obamas case three things at a time!! Go obama!:)

Let us hope that Arizona does not choose to secure their Northern border in the same manner.

;)

Moksha, you must understand that not everyone is as old as you and thus were not born in an era when geography was emphasized so strongly. When you make mention of Arizona's northern boarder, you should include links with arrows pointing to the border and the name on the other side written in big bold letters and highlighted with a yellow marker. Now wise up!

I agree. I think cracking down on businesses knowingly hiring illegals would be another great place to start reform.

This is the way to enact meaningful reform: Go after the businesses. Randomly grabbing people who may be citizens is not. Hit the businesses that use them: Restaurants, orchards, general labourers, etc.

If no work is available, then they won't come.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Arizona governor vs. Phoenix Suns owner

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer trounces Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver Pesky Emotional Republican

The owner of the Phoenix Suns basketball team, Robert Sarver, opposes AZ's new immigration laws. Arizona 's Governor, Jan Brewer, released the following statement in response to Sarver's criticism of the new law:

"What if the owners of the Suns discovered that hordes of people were

sneaking into games without paying? What if they had a good idea who the gate-crashers are, but the ushers and security personnel were not allowed to ask these folks to produce their ticket stubs, thus non-paying attendees couldn't be ejected. Furthermore, what if Suns' ownership was expected to provide those who sneaked in with complimentary eats and drink? And what if, on those days when a gate-crasher became ill or injured, the Suns had to provide free medical care and shelter?"

- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer