What is Prom?

Maureen

Since I am Canadian, living in Alberta all my life, I am familiar with Prom but I don’t understand its significance in High School and how or if it relates to graduation. Traditionally we do not have Prom in HS in Alberta. There are though, some small towns that will adopt the concept and have a dance and call it Prom. I occasionally watch Much Music (based in Toronto) and they occasionally will mention Prom. I am assuming that Toronto has a secret yearning to be American so I don’t take their “stolen tradition” very seriously. So basically for me Prom is American. I believe your High Schools have a junior and senior Prom. Are they connected with Graduation or totally separate? Here in Canada for HS graduation, there is a commencement one day and a banquet and dance following on a separate day. Anything you can explain to me about Prom would be most appreciated.

M.

Well, I live in Canada as well & I've grown up looking forward to prom. I went to prom, and it was one of the main events in High School. I really don't think Toronto is the only place, or that they 'stole' the tradition from the Americans.. I never had ever thought of it to be only an American thing. Maybe it's different in Alberta? I know here on the East Coast though, it's a very normal thing and every high school has it as far as I've ever known.

Prom is a 'formal' dance, often at some location other than the school gym. Some students will rent a limo with a bunch of friends, and most of the time people will eat out for dinner in their formal wear. Proms aren't necessarily related to graduation, it's just that they tend to happen around May-June. Junior prom and Senior prom are typically separate events for each for those two classes.

There can be negative connotations associated with prom, namely certain 'expectations' from the guy for having spent so much money on an event... hmm... thinking about my 5 month old girl, i'm thinking home schooling sounds pretty good now...

Junior prom and Senior prom are typically separate events for each for those two classes.

This is true for some schools but not all. My high school, for example, only had one prom each year, but all juniors and seniors were invited. Typically, only grades 11-12 are invited, unless someone younger is asked to attend as the date of someone older.

There can be negative connotations associated with prom, namely certain 'expectations' from the guy for having spent so much money on an event... hmm... thinking about my 5 month old girl, i'm thinking home schooling sounds pretty good now...

I'm thinking now is the time to start figuring out how to work in the fact you know how to use a scalpel into conversations with her future boyfriends. :D

Edited by Dravin

Well, I live in Canada as well & I've grown up looking forward to prom. I went to prom, and it was one of the main events in High School. I really don't think Toronto is the only place, or that they 'stole' the tradition from the Americans.. I never had ever thought of it to be only an American thing. Maybe it's different in Alberta? I know here on the East Coast though, it's a very normal thing and every high school has it as far as I've ever known.

Hello kc247, do you know how long your area has been participating in Prom. What is traditionally practiced for Prom on the East Coast? Is it similar to the American tradition or different?

M.

I'm thinking now if the time to start figuring out how to work in the fact you know how to use a scalpel into conversations with her future boyfriends. :D

Oh, that's easy. Sit on the doorstep with some scalpels and a whetstone, and casually mention that today you had to perform a vasectomy without anesthesia, and that's when you found out that your scalpel had gotten a bit dull.

Oh, that's easy. Sit on the doorstep with some scalpels and a whetstone, and casually mention that today you had to perform a vasectomy without anesthesia, and that's when you found out that your scalpel had gotten a bit dull.

Don't forget to mention when you get angry your hands shake. :D

In Canada, most schools have the same traditions as those in the United States, except Prom is only held for the graduating class. There is no prom held for Grade 11 (except in the province of Quebec, where grade 11 is the last year. ) It is strictly a ceremony celebrating students' graduation from high school.

Prom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia would have you think that in Canada Prom and Grad are one and the same. But here in Edmonton, I know of no HS that ever sees Grad and Prom as synonymous. I don't think any Edmonton HS celebrates Prom.

M.

When I was in school we had Junior Prom sponsored for and by the Junior class and whomever they invited. The seniors sponsored their own formal dance, but it was called the Senior Ball.

'Prom' is short for 'promenade', indicating the march of the guests at the beginning of the event. Proms began to take hold in the US in the 1930s and '40s, but really blew up into large extravaganzas in the 1950s, and have been popular ever since.

For all three of my girls, when their dates have arrived to pick them up for the prom, I’ve been waiting in the kitchen. When they arrive I like to be taking care of my leather gear and my pistil, cleaning my pistil or my handcuffs and collapsible baton. I always invite them in for a talk while they are waiting. (The joys of being a cop). This is the perfect time to explain my thoughts on curfew and chastity. Prom’s can be so much fun!

I do know that Prom is short for Promenade. Promenade is the march of the participants into the ballroom. Proms are most likely high school renditions of college proms that themselves have some connection to débutante balls of the past.

This no doubt harkens back to campfire dancing traditions on the Serengeti.

:)

We never did "prom" either. They were referred to as "balls" and usually hosted at a very nice hotel. When I went to high school here in the US, I chose not to go, primarily because my boyfriend was not a high school student..