Official position on soda/pop?

JThimm88

Does the church have an official position on whether or not to drink soda?

Dumb question, but being a convert, it just seems like more people in the LDS church "freak out" over soda due to the caffeine (at least when talking with some other members, that has been their reasoning). I understand that there is nothing in the WoW about caffeine, so I can't understand why a lot of members just refuse to drink the stuff, as if we've been instructed not to...???

Has the church come out and said anything regarding the drink? :huh:

I just feel as though some members have taken the reference of coffee in the WoW and assumed that God said "no coffee" because of the caffeine content in the drink, and caffeine certainly can be an addicting substance. But my assumption of the WoW when saying "no coffee," and even "no tea" was due to the negative affects that the coffee beans/tea leaves cause on the body? (Coffee beans have more affects than just containing caffeine, of course.)

More power to the people who stay away from the sugary garbage, but I'm just wondering why some people seem to be fanatical about it (to the point where they're rude when if offered one in our house...)?

Edited by JThimm88

The official position of the Church on the subject of soda is that there is no official position of the Church on the subject of soda.

I just feel as though some members have taken the reference of coffee in the WoW and assumed that God said "no coffee" because of the caffeine content in the drink, and caffeine certainly can be an addicting substance. But my assumption of the WoW when saying "no coffee," and even "no tea" was due to the negative affects that the coffee beans/tea leaves cause on the body? (Coffee beans have more affects than just containing caffeine, of course.)

The Word of Wisdom as contained in the scriptures references neither coffee nor caffeine. Thanks to continuing revelation, we know that the Lord meant coffee and tea when He forbade "hot drinks."

Soda pop has no significant nutritional value; its mainly empty calories. It's one food item that should be ingested moderately. IMO, the WoW should replace coffee and tea with soda pop; at least coffee and tea have some health benefits. It's strange that people would be offended by being offered a pop as a refreshment, it's a pretty normal beverage in North America; and not all soft drinks have caffeine in them.

M.

• 4 months later...

I drink coke. Usually at least one 300ML bottle a day. I tried to stop due to the health issues surrounding it (that applies to all pop), but find it very difficult to work/concentrate of a morning without it.

My mother is someone who bans coke from her house. If I'm honest, taking such a strict stance on this when there is no official position of the church on this matter isn't helping missionaries in my opinion.

This is the response I usually get when I tell someone I don't drink alcohol:

"Wow. That's pretty good standards, not sure I force myself to do that. But keep at it".

No smoking:

"Good. Don't ever start. It's a filthy habit"

Tea and coffee:

"That's okay, we have other options available for those who don't want a hot drink" (this one is surprisingly positive seeing as we are a nation of coffee/tea drinkers in the UK.)

Coke:

"Ummm... are you serious? What the heck?" (usually more colourful language than that).

What's Vault?

It's Coke's version of Mountain Dew. They have Vault Zero which kicks the pants off of Diet Mountain Dew (though nothing beats a Voltage, just to bad it contains all those calories).

Right now I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper. I hope that's not against the rules...

I tried to stop due to the health issues surrounding it (that applies to all pop), but find it very difficult to work/concentrate of a morning without it.

Diet Dr. Pepper is what separates me from failing my classes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I took a friend to the hospital recently for a breast biopsy which came back positive for cancer. The doctor who looked at the cells on a slide told her to stop drinking anything with caffeine in it. A few days later I took her to meet with the surgeon who will be doing her mastectomy and he told her the same thing.

The surgeon said caffeine causes or enhances breast pain. I had never of of this. Anyone?

This subject has always intrigued me. I have been told "no cola" by a member of the local First Presidency way back when. That's not a hot drink, but contains caffeine. I have been told herbal teas are okay by the same. That is a hot drink, but lacks caffeine. Almost everybody seems to agree hot cocoa/hot chocolate is fine, and that is both a hot drink and caffeine-laden.

There seems to be a geographic factor to it; the closer to Salt Lake the more likely it is to think cola and caffeine are okay. Further east, they look askance more at the caffeine content than the temperature.

a member of the local First Presidency

Huh?

There seems to be a geographic factor to it; the closer to Salt Lake the more likely it is to think cola and caffeine are okay. Further east, they look askance more at the caffeine content than the temperature.

I disagree. It's only in Utah that you can find caffeine-free Barq's root beer (which was already disgusting enough before they took out the caffeine). Farther east, you tend to find more liberal Mormons. It's in Utah that you have the issue with culture vs. doctrine, and confusing the two.

cathy, there is only one First Presidency. Perhaps you are meaning a local bishopric (comprised of a bishop and 2 counselors) or a local stake presidency (comprised of a president and 2 counselors).

I have found that since the Church does not expressly forbid caffeine that you have members on both sides of the fence. Some adamantly say that it is against the WoW and will provide "proof" in words from local leaders as well as General Authorities. Others are staunch in their belief that it is a choice and choosing to drink caffeine (in forms other than coffee and tea) is not a "sin". They, too, can produce "evidence" that the Church teaches choice in the matter by producing words from local leaders as well as General Authorities.

I disagree. It's only in Utah that you can find caffeine-free Barq's root beer (which was already disgusting enough before they took out the caffeine). Farther east, you tend to find more liberal Mormons.

I disagree. It's here in Canada.

Anyways, I drink as much pop as I please as long as it doesn't has caffeine, which is everything up here!*:lol:

*(except for Coke and Pepsi)

• 3 months later...

Dumb question, but being a convert, it just seems like more people in the LDS church "freak out" over soda due to the caffeine (at least when talking with some other members, that has been their reasoning). I understand that there is nothing in the WoW about caffeine, so I can't understand why a lot of members just refuse to drink the stuff, as if we've been instructed not to...???

Has the church come out and said anything regarding the drink? :huh:

More power to the people who stay away from the sugary garbage, but I'm just wondering why some people seem to be fanatical about it (to the point where they're rude when if offered one in our house...)?

the reason people vary is because not all have the same intrepretation..

as for the church, it's stance is basicly this: be healthy and moderate. Caffiene is generally discouraged (but no cut and dry commands on this, yet)

the reason we don't take coffee is because we are commanded not too, were not told why. (altho caffiene may or may not be part of the reason, it's certainly plausible to me- I find the thought of using drugs for recreational purposes rather disturbing)

I've never even heard this from a leader. I think it's mainly cultural.

I have, it's likely cultural in origin.. but I imagine that there were similar sentiments from some of the higher ups at some point in time that planted the idea, before it became cultural.

• 1 year later...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia about the word of wisdom.

Cola and other caffeinated beverages

A longstanding issue among members of the church is whether it is permissible to ingest drinks containing caffeine that are not coffee or tea. In 1918, Frederick J. Pack, a Latter-day Saint professor at the University of Utah, published an article in an official church magazine in which he reasoned that because Coca-Cola contained caffeine, which is also present in tea and coffee, Latter-day Saints should abstain from Coca-Cola in the same way that they abstain from the Word of Wisdom "hot drinks".[51] Since Pack's article, many Latter-day Saints have come to believe that the reason tea and coffee are proscribed is the presence of caffeine in the drinks. However, the church has never stated that this is the reason for the prohibition.

The church has no official stance on the consumption of caffeinated beverages and the consumption of such does not constitute a violation of the Word of Wisdom. However, a number of church leaders have discouraged the use of such products. For example, in 1922, Church President Heber J. Grant counseled the Latter-day Saints:

I am not going to give any command, but I will ask it as a personal, individual favor to me, to let coca-cola [sic] alone. There are plenty of other things you can get at the soda fountains without drinking that which is injurious. The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself.[52]

Two years after making this statement, Grant met with a representative of the Coca-Cola Company to discuss the church's position on Coca-Cola; at the conclusion of their second meeting, Grant stated that he was "sure I have not the slightest desire to recommend that the people leave Coca-Cola alone if th[e] amount [of caffeine in Coca-Cola] is absolutely harmless, which they claim it is".[39] Grant never again spoke out against the use of cola drinks.

Approximately fifty years later, the church issued an official statement which stated:

With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.[53]

Because of such statements, some adherents believe that caffeine is officially prohibited under the Word of Wisdom.[54][55] On the campus of Brigham Young University, a church-owned school in Provo, Utah, only caffeine-free beverages are sold.[56][57] Official church publications have occasionally published articles by medical practitioners that warn of the health risks of consuming caffeine[58] However, in November 2010, the Salt Lake Tribune noted that in the 2010 church Handbook, which sets out the official position of the church on health and social issues, no position on drinking Coca-Cola or caffeinated drinks is included.[59] The Tribune has concluded that the church "takes no official position on caffeine".[57]

[edit]Other areas