Aspiring to Callings

Moksha

Apparently aspiring to callings in the Church is is a subject on which there is a variety of opinions.

My primary question is, what it wrong with aspiring to callings? Seems like a lot of people do have such aspirations, yet in the eyes of some there is something inherently wrong with having such aspirations.

If aspirations are wrong in concept, why is there so much reward for the ambitious in the world?

If aspiring is wrong someone better call Salt Lake. Can't tell you how many we sang I hope they call me on a mission:o;)

I think like all things it comes down to intent. Aspiring to be a good spiritual leader so if you get called as Bishop = Good. Aspiring to be Bishop because you know you will do a better Job the Bro Jones = bad.

Apparently aspiring to callings in the Church is is a subject on which there is a variety of opinions.

My primary question is, what it wrong with aspiring to callings? Seems like a lot of people do have such aspirations, yet in the eyes of some there is something inherently wrong with having such aspirations.

If aspirations are wrong in concept, why is there so much reward for the ambitious in the world?

Kishkumen also aspired to head the government...seeing his own intent was to gain power over the people, but sought also saught for honor or men.

Report of Eliza R. Snow:

President Smith continued by speaking of the difficulties he had to surmount ever since the commencement of the work, in consequence of aspiring men. "Great big Elders," as he called them, who had caused him much trouble; to whom he had taught the things of the kingdom in private councils, they would then go forth into the world and proclaim the things he had taught them, as their own revelations; said the same aspiring disposition will be in this Society, and must be guarded against; that every person should stand, and act in the place appointed, and thus sanctify the Society and get it pure. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:604)

[President Smith] continued to read the chapter [1 Corinthians 12], and give instructions respecting the different offices, and the necessity of every individual acting in the sphere allotted him or her, and filling the several offices to which they are appointed. He spoke of the disposition of many men to consider the lower offices in the Church dishonorable, and to look with jealous eyes upon the standing of others who are called to preside over them; that it was the folly and nonsense of the human heart for a person to be aspiring to other stations than those to which they are appointed of God for them to occupy; that it was better for individuals to magnify their respective callings, and wait patiently till God shall say to them, "Come up higher.". . .

President Smith continued reading from the above-mentioned chapter [1 Corinthians 12], and to give instructions respecting the order of God, as established in the Church, saying everyone should aspire only to magnify his own office and calling. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:603, 606)

For me is all a matter of intention. Do we aspire the calling because we truly desire to serve those who need it, our intentions are pure and noble, because we love them and because we believe we can make a difference in the lives of our brothers or sisters? (in which case we do not really need a calling to do so but depending on the calling we could make a difference into a bigger group of people)

OR

Do we aspire them to be "seen of men" ("Oh yes, I am the wife of the Bishop", "I am the RS President", etc and linking certain callings to being more worthy, spiritual or even a higher status of some sort) As the BOM says, I am referring to those who "preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the Welfare of Zion".

So I will say, it depends.

Should we ever aspire to leadership?

Paul H. Dunn, “Q&A: Questions and Answers,” New Era, Apr. 1971, 37

Answer/President Paul H. Dunn

In determining whether or not it is right for an individual to aspire to leadership, it is necessary to first define just what is meant by the word aspire. Webster defines aspiration as the desire to achieve something high and great. It becomes essential, then, to discern the motive involved before deciding if the aspiration is legitimate. Hopefully, few would sanction a desire for power, fame, and recognition for these merits alone. However, I see nothing inconsistent with a genuine ambition to improve the existent self and eventually, our society.

The word aspire seems to carry, at times, a negative connotation. It is true that if one aspires to a position merely for self-gratification, with no ambition to serve his fellow beings, he is doing himself and his fellowmen a great disservice. I consider it worthwhile to aspire to something better than we are if it is done with the proper motives and purposes in mind.

It is certainly healthy to want to make something useful of your life. It is the object and design of the gospel for us as God’s children to become more like him. The Lord has admonished us to “be ye therefore perfect.” We are expected, then, to act upon and strive to obtain that objective.

The oft-quoted couplet, “As man is, God once was—as God is, man may become,” suggests that we develop a desire to achieve something high and great. I do not consider this wrong. In fact, it is our prime purpose in life. The various organizations and programs of the Church are designed and aimed at the realization and fulfillment of that divine injuncture.

Obviously, if we are aspiring to improve ourselves or a program, either in or out of the Church, we must prepare to be a leader. There is a principle in life that suggests “there is no all at once.” We should recognize and endeavor to develop good characteristics and qualities that are evident in our leaders today. I would hope that all young people would want to emulate the example of a wonderful parent, stimulating teacher, motivating missionary, spiritual stake patriarch, capable stake president, good bishop, or warm, wonderful home teacher.

One must seek out his motives and intentions in order to determine the validity of his endeavors to aspire to leadership.

Source

It is true that if one aspires to a position merely for self-gratification, with no ambition to serve his fellow beings, he is doing himself and his fellowmen a great disservice. I consider it worthwhile to aspire to something better than we are if it is done with the proper motives and purposes in mind.

One must seek out his motives and intentions in order to determine the validity of his endeavors to aspire to leadership.

That's exactly what I was trying to say here and in the other thread. It's a matter of intention. :)

Sure, aspire to be worthy to be called to the Bishopric, for example.

What is bad is when people associate ranking with that aspiration. For example - aspiring to be a nursery teacher is like aspiring to be the "burger flipper" while aspiring to be Bishop is like aspiring to be the CEO. That's when it is bad. Especially if you are aspiring to the office of Bishop and you get called as a nursery teacher and you feel insulted.

As far as the church is concerned, a nursery teacher is just as important as a General Authority.

I have to agree with those that state intention or attitude. Honestly I have never met anyone that aspired to be a Bishop or a Stake President. Again I personally have never met anyone. I'm sure they are out there, I have never met one.

Aspiring can be prideful. Some may aspire because they think they are a better person to do the calling or perhaps they feel it gives them some kind of power. But we know that not all callings are given to the most qualified. Callings help us grow emotionally and spiritually.

I mentioned in another thread that my dad was a counselor to 5 different Bishops. He jokingly said once "Always a bridesmaid and never a bride and that's the way I like it." My dad was also one of the most humble men I've ever known.

I've been in wards where you pretty much knew who was going to be the next Bishop based on the number of Priesthood holders in the ward. I'm sure their thoughts were also that they knew they would be called eventually. Were they aspiring? Being realistic is probably more like it.

Being a Sunbeam teacher is what I would love to aspire too.

I've always aspired to be the bell ringer to signal when Sunday School was over. I would be the best bell ringer the Church has ever seen. I would have the timing down perfectly. I would be perfect for the job over anyone else. Am I being prideful in aspiring? Yes.

Sure, aspire to be worthy to be called to the Bishopric, for example.

What is bad is when people associate ranking with that aspiration. For example - aspiring to be a nursery teacher is like aspiring to be the "burger flipper" while aspiring to be Bishop is like aspiring to be the CEO. That's when it is bad. Especially if you are aspiring to the office of Bishop and you get called as a nursery teacher and you feel insulted.

As far as the church is concerned, a nursery teacher is just as important as a General Authority.

I had a bishop that, once, when he accepted the call, said he would accept it on one condition: that when released he would be called into the nursery. He was.

Hidden

I'm moving this over from the thread that inspired this one. (EDIT: Pam, I swear, I was writing this while you were closing the other. do with it what you will, but I thought it would be more appropriate to discuss it here than there)

Yes, I do hate it. Its arrogant and presumptive. Spouting off your callings sounds like you are putting together a resume for a bishop's application. Its disgusting.

You make the mistake of assuming that what I listed was my entire 'resume.' It isn't. It's far from being complete. Your attitude reflects an overly simplistic interpretation of the human psyche. I'll put it quite simply--if I'm never called as a bishop, that's great! If I am called as a bishop, that's great!

Your patriarchal blessing is not a fortune telling. Those promises will be fulfilled only if you are worthy or humble enough to receive them.

See, this is where you kind of lose it. You're right that a patriarchal blessing isn't a fortune telling. But it is a promise and a warning. If you remain worthy, these are the things the Lord has in store for you. So studying leadership, observing other leaders, and otherwise preparing for the day when you could be called to lead is inappropriate? Please explain this one.

Never once have I heard a bishop stand up after receiving his calling state, "I have been groomed for this calling since I was 10. Everyone told me I would be a bishop. I have been planning on it for years, and I finally got it." Feel free to tell your congregation that when you achieve your goals. Im sure you will be well supported.

I've never heard a bishop make such a statement either. Nor would I make one from the pulpit. The things you say in private conversation do not always translate well into public speaking forums.

Your post is seriously unbelievable. May the Lord steer me away from your ward boundaries.

Actually, I thought it was quite realistic. But, regardless, be careful what you wish for. He may steer me out of my ward boundaries (which wouldn't bother me much) and steer me into yours (which would amuse me endlessly)

I had a bishop that, once, when he accepted the call, said he would accept it on one condition: that when released he would be called into the nursery. He was.

That is awesome, and in the unlikely event I'm ever called as bishop I'm going to ask for the same thing.

All we should do is aspire to be worthy of any call we might receive. Aspirations of worthiness and aspirations to positions are totally different. To be prepared for a calling is equal to being worthy for the calling. A worthy priesthood holder who has served in the nursery and in the activities committee is prepared for a leadership calling because he was called of the Lord to fill it. A man who has served as EQ president, clerk etc, etc, is not prepared because he has spent years reading the bishop's handbook, but because he was called of the Lord. I dont believe in planning for, preparing for, or speculating about specific callings. I worry about being worthy to hold what calling I am asked to fill and depending on the Lord for guidance as I strive to magnify it.

I cant help but think of Sidney Rigdon and Joseph Smith. Sidney had all the right tools to lead a church. He was charismatic, a great speaker, knowledgeable about the scriptures, and already had experience leading a church. You all know Joseph was not those things. Yet Joseph was the one who was called to restore the church and perform this great work. When Joseph died, it was Rigdon and his followers who dissented because they thought Rigdon was more qualified and prepared. After all, he was in the 1st Presidency wasnt he? Did Rigdon speculate, plan for, use reason, and consider the fact that he may fill Joseph's role? Did Rigdon aspire to be the prophet? Yes, he did and it got him nowhere. It was Brigham Young, a carpenter and blacksmith, that was called to fulfill the role.

I find it difficult to understand why anyone would hope for, aspire to, plan for, or speculate about any future calling they may receive. Just aspire to worthiness and you will be called to the position that will be best for you and the ward that you are serving in.

I have had blessings where I was told that I would be some such president down the line, usually Relief Society president. Not that I am really looking forward to such a time, I don't think I am ready for it and I don't think I currently have enough time to devote to it. But if it does happen I won't be surprised.

I do sometimes wonder about what callings I may have at different times. For example we are currently planning on moving and we will be moving into my parent's current ward, I know that they have a low membership number and because of that many people have more than one calling. My mom keeps hoping that I will be placed somewhere where I can help her out. I wonder about where I will be called but am not exactly hoping for anything.

Wondering about callings is not something I see as a bad thing, knowing what a ward needs and what you might be called to is a realistic thing to think about. As many others have stated I think it really depends on what your intentions are, if you hope to be called to a certain calling because you think it will make you look better or make you look more important then you are wishing or "aspiring" for things wrongfully. However wondering about callings and seeing a place where you might be called to and trying to make plans in your head ahead of time on how to best fulfill that calling, I think that is just fine and probably a good way of going about things.

As it is I have no clue where I might be called to, and it doesn't really matter. I figure I will probably be busy whatever happens.

For some, they know that if they live worthily (as justaname suggested) that they will be called to certain leadership positions within the Church because their patriarchal blessing says so (MoE is the third person I've heard of who has such a promise in his patriarchal blessing).

I think that, if someone is foreordained to be called into a stewardship position, when they live righteously they will actually desire said position- and they will desire it so that they can bless their fellow man and help move along the great designs of the LORD.

I can see why you'd be hesitant to accept such a suggestion as I have laid our, justaname. When I was younger, and just starting to gain a testimony and walk in the ways of CHRIST, I aspired to be a General Authority. I aspired to be one because I thought it would show the world that GOD loved me and that I was "good enough" to be one (i.e., because of the pride of my heart)- there was still a lot of worldliness in my heart at that time. As I grew older, though, and kept trying to live righteously and humble myself, I realized that those aspirations were evil because of the motivation behind them. Now I realize that being a GA is more responsibility than I'd ever want, and aspire only to live worthily and fulfill the roles that I have been foreordained to (my patriarchal blessing gives some vague hints, but nothing specific).

Being a Sunbeam teacher sounds nice... :D

Being a Sunbeam teacher sounds nice... :D

My dad aspires to be a Primary teacher, he says that he loves teaching the kids. I on the other hand like the kids but have gone home in tears because I feel like I completely failed at the lesson. Sometimes it is difficult to teach the children.

My dad aspires to be a Primary teacher, he says that he loves teaching the kids. I on the other hand like the kids but have gone home in tears because I feel like I completely failed at the lesson. Sometimes it is difficult to teach the children.

Oh... I hadn't thought about that.

Revised post:

...being a [sunbeam teacher] is more responsibility than I'd ever want...

Being a [3rd assistant to the Hymn Book Straightener] sounds nice... :D

Oh... I hadn't thought about that.

Revised post:

...being a [sunbeam teacher] is more responsibility than I'd ever want...

Being a [3rd assistant to the Hymn Book Straightener] sounds nice... :D

I taught the CTR class and there were days where I felt like the children didn't get a single thing I said and that I had tried at the lesson and had completely bombed it. Then again that age group can be difficult to keep in control. My mom did it by filling every moment of class time with something that kept the children's intrest, but she has also gone home in tears feeling like she failed at the lesson as well. Maybe we are just a weepy family. ^_^

All we should do is aspire to be worthy of any call we might receive.

Partially true. While worthiness is a necessary condition for effective Church service, it isn't a sufficient condition. More is required for effective Church service than just worthiness.

Aspirations of worthiness and aspirations to positions are totally different.

True.

To be prepared for a calling is equal to being worthy for the calling.

False. One may be prepared for a calling and never be worthy to receive it. Hence, "many are called, but few are chosen." Or, one may be worthy of the calling, but not at all prepared for it. After being bishop for almost two years, my current bishop said to me that he felt like his first year had a lot of wasted time because there were so many things he had to learn to do before he could be an effective minister. He was worthy of his calling, but wasn't prepared, and lost a lot of time catching up.

A worthy priesthood holder who has served in the nursery and in the activities committee is prepared for a leadership calling because he was called of the Lord to fill it.

This has dubious truth value. Did the work the person did teach him leadership skills? Or did he already have the leadership skills? You seem to make the assumption that he magnified the calling, which would seem to imply that he used to opportunities to develop his leading and teaching skills. These would speak toward preparation.

But you also lean heavily on the worthiness aspect of this, by which you imply that because he accepted "lesser" callings, he's humble enough to be called to a "greater" calling. It's true that a person who is willing to serve wherever the Lord needs him is humble. And that's a great trait, but it isn't the only part of effective leadership.

Also, being called to a leadership position doesn't mean that the person is prepared for the position. It means he is qualified for the position. It's a subtle, but significant difference.

Lastly, you shouldn't apply this statement to men only. It's just as valid for women.

A man who has served as EQ president, clerk etc, etc, is not prepared because he has spent years reading the bishop's handbook, but because he was called of the Lord.

Also a dubious statement. Let's take two men, call them A and B, and assume that they are identical in all respects of worthiness, leadership skill, spirituality, etc. Let us postulate that the only difference between A and B is that A has never seen the CHI, and B has read it several times over. Now, who is better prepared to be a bishop? The clear answer is B. But this speaks nothing about qualification, inspiration, and revelation. Whether a person is called has nothing to do with whether or not he or she is prepared for the calling. But those who are prepared for a calling can be more effective and sooner than those who are not prepared if or when the calling comes.

I dont believe in planning for, preparing for, or speculating about specific callings.

That's too bad. Such tactics are commonly taught to teach a wide variety of skills. Just for one example, the last first aid course I took came with instruction to frequently speculate about first aid scenarios we might encounter. The purpose of this was to keep our skills fresh in mind, help us stay calm, and help us consider more deeply the principles of proper care. In short, that kind of planning, preparing, and speculation helps us be better caregivers in the event of an emergency.

It often works this way in the Church. For example, sometimes my bishopric will come up with an idea and will try to implement it. As I observe it unfolding, I observe things that I think may not be going well or could go better. As I observe them, I speculate, if I were the one with the authority to make decisions, what would I do to fix this? If I feel I have a better solution, I usually end up offering it to the bishopric, and they do what they want with it. Sometimes my recommendations are taken, and sometimes they are not.

And by the way, I do the same thing with my daughter's nursery leaders. I watch things they do and think to myself, "If I were the nursery leader, how might I do this differently?" (but then I usually realize that I am really bad at teaching little children and cut them a little--or a lot of--slack)

I worry about being worthy to hold what calling I am asked to fill and depending on the Lord for guidance as I strive to magnify it.

As should everybody.

I cant help but think of Sidney Rigdon and Joseph Smith. Sidney had all the right tools to lead a church. He was charismatic, a great speaker, knowledgeable about the scriptures, and already had experience leading a church. You all know Joseph was not those things. Yet Joseph was the one who was called to restore the church and perform this great work. When Joseph died, it was Rigdon and his followers who dissented because they thought Rigdon was more qualified and prepared. After all, he was in the 1st Presidency wasnt he? Did Rigdon speculate, plan for, use reason, and consider the fact that he may fill Joseph's role? Did Rigdon aspire to be the prophet? Yes, he did and it got him nowhere. It was Brigham Young, a carpenter and blacksmith, that was called to fulfill the role.

Rigdon probably was more qualified and prepared. That doesn't mean he was the right person for the role. So far, no one here has been willing to claim that qualified and prepared should lead to chosen.

Also, Rigdon's followers formed less of a dissension and would probably be better classified as a schism. The line of succession of the presidency wasn't very well defined, and most of the groups who were in on that debate had good ground on which to stand.

I find it difficult to understand why anyone would hope for, aspire to, plan for, or speculate about any future calling they may receive. Just aspire to worthiness and you will be called to the position that will be best for you and the ward that you are serving in.

I also don't really understand why anyone would hope for a calling. Well, maybe I do. If I could have my choice of any calling in the Church, I'd teach the Improving Gospel Teaching course in sunday school. It's a course that caters well to my own strengths, and I'm certain I'd have a lot of fun doing it. But again, that isn't about pride, or standing, or faith...it's just something that I think would be fun. Not quite what we're talking about here.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't plan for or speculate about future callings they have reason to believe may be coming their way. I don't understand why a mother shouldn't think about how she will manage her kids alone on a pew if her husband gets called into a bishopric. In fact, it just makes sense to me that she should have some general ideas about how to do that.

So, here's the gist of it.

• The Lord qualifies the people he calls to serve.
  • You can prepare yourself for any calling in the Church while maintaining the humility to never have that calling.
  • He who is prepared shall not fear.

Partially true. While worthiness is a necessary condition for effective Church service, it isn't a sufficient condition. More is required for effective Church service than just worthiness.

True.

False. One may be prepared for a calling and never be worthy to receive it. Hence, "many are called, but few are chosen." Or, one may be worthy of the calling, but not at all prepared for it. After being bishop for almost two years, my current bishop said to me that he felt like his first year had a lot of wasted time because there were so many things he had to learn to do before he could be an effective minister. He was worthy of his calling, but wasn't prepared, and lost a lot of time catching up.

This has dubious truth value. Did the work the person did teach him leadership skills? Or did he already have the leadership skills? You seem to make the assumption that he magnified the calling, which would seem to imply that he used to opportunities to develop his leading and teaching skills. These would speak toward preparation.

But you also lean heavily on the worthiness aspect of this, by which you imply that because he accepted "lesser" callings, he's humble enough to be called to a "greater" calling. It's true that a person who is willing to serve wherever the Lord needs him is humble. And that's a great trait, but it isn't the only part of effective leadership.

Also, being called to a leadership position doesn't mean that the person is prepared for the position. It means he is qualified for the position. It's a subtle, but significant difference.

Lastly, you shouldn't apply this statement to men only. It's just as valid for women.

Also a dubious statement. Let's take two men, call them A and B, and assume that they are identical in all respects of worthiness, leadership skill, spirituality, etc. Let us postulate that the only difference between A and B is that A has never seen the CHI, and B has read it several times over. Now, who is better prepared to be a bishop? The clear answer is B. But this speaks nothing about qualification, inspiration, and revelation. Whether a person is called has nothing to do with whether or not he or she is prepared for the calling. But those who are prepared for a calling can be more effective and sooner than those who are not prepared if or when the calling comes.

That's too bad. Such tactics are commonly taught to teach a wide variety of skills. Just for one example, the last first aid course I took came with instruction to frequently speculate about first aid scenarios we might encounter. The purpose of this was to keep our skills fresh in mind, help us stay calm, and help us consider more deeply the principles of proper care. In short, that kind of planning, preparing, and speculation helps us be better caregivers in the event of an emergency.

It often works this way in the Church. For example, sometimes my bishopric will come up with an idea and will try to implement it. As I observe it unfolding, I observe things that I think may not be going well or could go better. As I observe them, I speculate, if I were the one with the authority to make decisions, what would I do to fix this? If I feel I have a better solution, I usually end up offering it to the bishopric, and they do what they want with it. Sometimes my recommendations are taken, and sometimes they are not.

And by the way, I do the same thing with my daughter's nursery leaders. I watch things they do and think to myself, "If I were the nursery leader, how might I do this differently?" (but then I usually realize that I am really bad at teaching little children and cut them a little--or a lot of--slack)

As should everybody.

Rigdon probably was more qualified and prepared. That doesn't mean he was the right person for the role. So far, no one here has been willing to claim that qualified and prepared should lead to chosen.

Also, Rigdon's followers formed less of a dissension and would probably be better classified as a schism. The line of succession of the presidency wasn't very well defined, and most of the groups who were in on that debate had good ground on which to stand.

I also don't really understand why anyone would hope for a calling. Well, maybe I do. If I could have my choice of any calling in the Church, I'd teach the Improving Gospel Teaching course in sunday school. It's a course that caters well to my own strengths, and I'm certain I'd have a lot of fun doing it. But again, that isn't about pride, or standing, or faith...it's just something that I think would be fun. Not quite what we're talking about here.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't plan for or speculate about future callings they have reason to believe may be coming their way. I don't understand why a mother shouldn't think about how she will manage her kids alone on a pew if her husband gets called into a bishopric. In fact, it just makes sense to me that she should have some general ideas about how to do that.

So, here's the gist of it.

• The Lord qualifies the people he calls to serve.
  • You can prepare yourself for any calling in the Church while maintaining the humility to never have that calling.
  • He who is prepared shall not fear.

You are obviously more interested in picking apart my comments rather than understanding the spirit of what I am trying to say. I made my opinion clear and have no need to defend it. Thats the lovely thing about opinions, they are neither true nor false. Ill let you get back to reading the handbook and preparing for your bishopric calling. Good luck brother.

I had a similar experience in the mission field. In an interview once with my mission president, I shared with him some concerns I had with my companion. I was, at the time, the junior companion. I had a lot of concerns with my companion's choices that were similar to concerns shared about her by many other sisters who were her companions over the course of her mission. My mission president told me that I should tuck things away and think about what I want to do -- or not do -- when I was senior companion, based on how I saw may companions (not just that current one) act. In essence, my mission president instructed me to anticipate and prepare for a future leadership assignment.

There was also no precedent already established for the situation they found themselves in at that time. Following scriptural patterns might be ideal, but it's not always practical in matters of policy and logistics.

I have been a Gospel Doctrine teacher, a Relief Society teacher, and a Primary teacher.

My hardest of the three by far is Primary teacher.

Who is to say that a Primary teacher is less important than an adult teacher? Who is to say that the ward librarian is less important than the Elder's Quorum president?

I know members of the church that are so purely Christlike, I couldn't even believe how good they are. My next door neighbor, in his 80s now, poor as a churchmouse, is the most charitable, kind person that I have ever met. He has been ward librarian, greeter, primary teacher, and maybe a Sunday School teacher for the kids. He never served a mission in his old age because of health and finances.