What would you grab?

pam

Being so close to a fire that was moving faster than people could run and owners of homes having just minutes to evacuate got me to thinking.

If you had only minutes to get out of your home, what would you grab to save?

My son and I were talking about this last night as we watched the flames moving.

My response was pictures. While I'd hate to lose things I've saved from childhood memories, pictures would be something that would be the hardest to lose.

Of course the usual, making sure my family all got out.

Our external hard drive with all our photos on it, and my great-great-grandmother's Japanese pearls. Since receiving them two years ago, I haven't had them appraised to add to our homeowners' insurance. I had an appointment for it at one point, but my daughter decided to be born three days earlier, a month premature. Maybe that sounds shallow, but the reading I've done on them suggests that the necklace is possibly worth over/around $5,000.

I have a lot of my pictures together with familysearch files in a very good safe (digitalized) in Utah in the mountain so I dont nead to worry about them. It is really clever to digitalize them and save on this netsite, they will never be gone.... otherways I also had taken my pictures. I think I would take my computer... have some written works there I dont like to loose... otherways IF I have time: wallet and Pass, water and food...

I need to get the files on CDs... I would really hate to leave those behind...

We also have important documents in a lockbox behind the couch in the living room -- Social Secutiry cards, birth certificates, patriarchal blessings (I know they can be replaced), passport, etc. This could be left behind if we were literally running out the door because it is fireproof, but we'd need to grab the key at the very least.

It really got me to thinking about the numerous things I would hate to lose or might need in an emergency. Paperwork wise. I really need to start scanning pictures and important documents. Someone once suggested to do this and give a copy to a family or friend that lives in another area because chances are they wouldn't be affected by the same situation.

It really got me to thinking about the numerous things I would hate to lose or might need in an emergency. Paperwork wise. I really need to start scanning pictures and important documents. Someone once suggested to do this and give a copy to a family or friend that lives in another area because chances are they wouldn't be affected by the same situation.

When we still lived in our apartment, my husband and I took photos of everything and put them on a CD and sent a copy to his parents. We have a lot more stuff now and need to update it. We'll send a copy to his parents and one to mine. Years ago, my parents did a video walkthrough of the house for insurance purposes. I'm not sure what they did with the video, but I know they had (have?) a safety deposit box, so maybe it went there.

Pam, there's a service called ScanCafe-- you buy a box from them, fill it with photos, and mail it to them. They scan the photos, doing minor correction (removing scratches, red-eyes, etc) and return the scanned photos and originals to you. It might be worth looking into.

I use a service called DropBox to store all my important work files, personal photos, and other things I don't want to lose, along with a different service called Evernote to keep scanned copies of important things like birth certificates. If I had to get the heck out in a hurry, I'd want my laptop bag, my go bag (pistol, ammo, GPS, ham radio, and other emergency goods), and I'd be set. Anything more than that would be gravy.

Our external hard drive with all our photos on it, and my great-great-grandmother's Japanese pearls. Since receiving them two years ago, I haven't had them appraised to add to our homeowners' insurance. I had an appointment for it at one point, but my daughter decided to be born three days earlier, a month premature. Maybe that sounds shallow, but the reading I've done on them suggests that the necklace is possibly worth over/around $5,000.

Mail them to me, along with your hard drive and other valuables, and I'll tell you what they're worth.... ;):D:lol:

I've been evacuated because of an approaching fire before, when I was living with my dad before I got married. Its pretty scary... The fire had suddenly jumped the highway and headed straight for us! The Sheriff knocked on our door and said we and our neighbors had 20 minutes to leave.

My Dad and I loaded our dogs into the car first, then I grabbed our family heirloom bible, family photo albums and my journals, while dad grabbed his military awards and important documents. Some of our neighbors refused to leave, though.

Once we had those things loaded up, we still had a few extra minutes, so we went back for clothes, toiletries, and a few personal favorites around the house. Lucky Dad hadn't cashed his paycheck yet, so we would have had some money to live off of.

They managed to get the fire contained right before it came to our house (after having burned about 2,000 acres!).

It was a pretty eye-opening experience. Made me realize that in the grand scheme of things, 90% of the things in our home that we think are so important, really are not.

But I guess if it were to happen agian today-- I would also grab my laptop computer :) OR at the very least, my USB disks with everything stored on them.

Edited by Melissa569

I faced a mandatory evacuation in front of a hurricane before. Hurricane Iniki in Hawaii. We had about 8 hours notice thank goodness. But my ex got called in to secure communication antennas at work which left me home with 3 kids all under 3 years of age to get ready, packed and headed out the door. We were told to prepare for 3 days. Other than food, diapers, clothing about the only other thing I took was pictures and documents.

We were evacuated to some empty barracks on a Naval Air Station. Thank goodness for some very sweet sailors who assisted me with my kids and getting everything unloaded from my car and taken inside. They were life savers.