Do you speak a language?

beefche

I learned German after Spanish. In not too long, German started to take over Spanish. I think it basically replaced it. Once a friend asked me what "happy birthday" was in Spanish... easy enough, everyone knows that. But I couldn't remember to save my life. All that would come to mind was "Herzlichen Glückwunsch". I actually had to look it up to tell him.

Yep, that is basically what has happened to me. Except that it works both ways, if I am looking for a word in Spanish it usually comes to me in German, and if I am looking for a word in German it usually comes to me in Spanish.

I am Finnish so I speak and write Finnish. I fell in love with a Norwegean and live there now... so I speak Norwegean daily too. And English. A bit Swedish.. I can read Dannish, but to understand that is difficult. I have been able to speak fluent German (at 6 of age, my grandmother was a German) but I have forgotten most of it. I also studied Spanish and Greek and Estonian which is almost Finnish.

I dont mix Finnish in my English (Except when I speak) but sometimes I do mix Norwegean since the words are pretty often pretty much alike. My computer has cut out the correction programs as it never knows what language to use... and it wont hear me! :mad:

I write every day 3 languages and often speak them too during the day. I do try to speak Finnish to my husband sometimes when I am tired... then he just looks at me weird and say... I did not understand... and I go... oh did I say it in Finnish... :P

And also about my spellingmistakes on top I have dyslexi et dysgraphi.

Maya, what languages/language does your husband speak?

Norwegean, IF he has to some Engilish, but not much. Not good enough to listen to Conferance in English... He learned it while he was 3 months in Corpus Cristi in a Hospital, as he fell some 10 feet on some big pipes on a boat, broke his back and crashed his heal, he was working with. They did nto believe he will walk out of the hospital but he did. Edited by Maya

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Finnish is ridiculously hard. I'd love to learn it but there's no way I'm ever going to get it. Might try Norwegian after I get semi fluent with German.

Another funny story; I was visiting a friend in Belgium who had a two year old son. Belgium has three national languages - Dutch, French, and German; Dutch and French being the major two. Both parents spoke both languages, so the kid learned both at the same time. He hadn't learned to differentiate between them yet though. So apparently, if I remember right, he could say something and the parents didn't always know if he meant "no" or "milk".

A Elbereth Gilthoniel

silivren penna míriel, eh?

hah...that's actually Sindarin:p here's a Quenya version: A Elentári Tintalle

silmarin penda mírea

p.s. btw maybe it sounds strange but i'm not such a big fan of Tolkien - i've watched the movies but haven't read the books:unsure: - i just like the idea of a language created to be beautiful:)

Learning Korean helped ruin my Quechua. They have similar sounds. As I learned Korea and would talk with people, or hear them talking on the street, I at first would almost revert to Quechua. Eventually, Korean won out, and my Quechua is pretty much gone with the exception of 5 or 6 phrases.

And the answer to: Imanalla K'asanki Khan is:

Wallejlla

English, but I can pray and share my testimony in Spanish. I have been told that my accent is impeccable, when I spoke at a couple of baptisms. I can have a gospel discussion in Spanish at church, but go anywhere else or have a conversation, forget it, can't understand a thing.

Ahhh the gift of tongues huh?

Finnish is ridiculously hard. I'd love to learn it but there's no way I'm ever going to get it. Might try Norwegian after I get semi fluent with German.

Heheh even 3 year olds speak Finnish!

Actually it is VERY easy to read if you know the letters... nothing like English where you write it a horse and pronaunce a donkey! Only ONE sound that dont follow the letter pronanuciation rule= ng is a sonud like in fang. You even pronounce the double letters long and one letter short!

When it comes in the grammar just put all to, in, on... at the end of a word ... and no a or the.. the table is just table (on the table would be tableon) :P

And you never know if the person is talking about he or she .... we just use one word for both... so you need to connect or follow the conversation to know.:D

Very easy!

Our order of words is also diffenet like we ask: What this is? Mikä tämä on?:cool:

Wow, with my southern English I would be so in trouble with " pananampalataya " I had to look at it 4 times just to spell it. :) Oh, yeah I know Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he put me in Texas. :)

Maya, I am still laughing about your post on marriage do not get me started.

It is amazing to me about the diffrence and just being able to translate from one to another. Think about it. The Book of Mormon was tranlated by a man who was not exposed to the language he was translating before he found the plates. Truely amazing.

Edited by zippy_do46

It's kind of that way in Tagalog too. They have that same "ng" sound. However, for some reason it takes a lot longer to say things. Looking at the Book of Mormon it's significantly longer than the English version. But when "faith" is "pananampalataya" I guess it makes sense:).

Finish too is longer than English but faith is just usko.:)

There is a funny word: saippuakauppias read it either way it is the same! It mensa a soap seller.

If I want to say even on my table I use word a table = pöytä... pöydällänikin llä= on, ni= my, kin= even :cool:

Finish too is longer than English but faith is just usko.:)

If I want to say even on my table I use word a table = pöytä... pöydällänikin llä= on, ni= my, kin= even :cool:

hah...off-topic question: can you say pöydänilläkin? for some reason it sounds more natural to me if the possessive suffix comes before the others:p