14 year old parents

Gretchen

Babies are miracles but sometimes they come from unfortunate situations. This tidbit I read is just as unfortunate..

In 2006, an 11-year-old girl became pregnant in Edinburgh after losing her virginity to a 15-year-old boy during a drunken night out.

Read more: April Webster and Nathan Fishbourne, 14, become Britain's youngest parents | Mail Online

I had to post again because I had another thought..

I suppose becoming a parent at a young age like this is more shocking in some societies than others. I believe there are still places in the world where once a girl reaches womanhood (which is starting a menstrual cycle), they are ready to be married off and bare children. Some girls start menstruation as young as seven years old. But for me personally (and obviously I don't live in an area where young girls are married off and become mothers is practiced) a child having a child is unfortunate.

You can only hope and pray that these babies (all babies really) have a fair chance at growing up in a stable household, where they are loved and nurtured, and will have the tools and ability to succeed in life.

It is disturbing, but not unheard of. There was an 11 year old that gave birth in Texas, not too long ago.

I don't know what kind of sex-ed they do in Britain, but clearly, it's not working.

Please don't judge sex education in Britain by one article, especially one from the Daily Mail of all places. If you want to find out exactly how something -didn't- happen, but could be twisted to appear that way, that's the paper to read. I'd suggest further research on anything you get from that website if you want the full facts (yes, I do have a grudge against that website).

Edited by Mahone

And then you have the 10 year old that gave birth last month in Spain. So this is not as unusual as it may appear.

Let's be nice and not judge England's sex education program. It's hardly the only country that has had very young parents.

I don't know what kind of sex-ed they do in Britain, but clearly, it's not working.

Please don't judge sex education in Britain by one article, especially one from the Daily Mail of all places.

Let's be nice and not judge England's sex education program. It's hardly the only country that has had very young parents.

But... But... even her dad seems to think she got pregnant by dancing

He said he felt no hostility towards Nathan, adding: ‘It takes two to tango.’

:eek::eek::eek:

I read on MSN.com today that the birth rate for young teenagers was lower than any time in history in 2009. It made me question if that was true because of abortion rates? I didn't know I just wondered.

Why would you think abortion over general access to easier forms of contraception?

I read an article recently about a possible link between kids being heavier now, therefore generating more hormones=earlier menstruation.

Thought that was an interesting perspective.

Why would you think abortion over general access to easier forms of contraception?

I read an article recently about a possible link between kids being heavier now, therefore generating more hormones=earlier menstruation.

In Asian women, and possibly other third world countries, females tend to menstruate at earlier ages. Not sure if this is because their life expectancy is shorter than say, women living in countries like America or the United Kingdom but I have heard this from several physicians.

Someone would have to pull up stats if one really wanted to know but does it seem more likely that teenagers are using contraceptives these days, or having abortions once they've conceived?

I've heard that as well. Actually read several articles mentioning that theory. It was early in the summer or I would provide them for you... they were for research for a story I was writing. Anywho, the talked about the changes in female maturity over the centuries, and how right now its on the lower end of the scale--for such reasons such as nutrition, weight,etc.

Someone would have to pull up stats if one really wanted to know but does it seem more likely that teenagers are using contraceptives these days, or having abortions once they've conceived?

I would like to see this, too.

At the risk of being controversial, I do not support abstinence-only sex ed. The fact is that while many kids are abstinent, others aren't, and they might as well be prepared. I prefer the idea that kids are being wiser and using other contraceptives, being aware that pregnancy is a possibility. I have a very good friend who growing up was told by her mother "I don't want you having sex, I do not approve of you having sex, but if you are going to do it, tell me, so I can at least make sure you're protected." Might not work in all cases, but my friend remained chaste until her Salt Lake temple wedding two months ago.

I would like to see this, too.

At the risk of being controversial, I do not support abstinence-only sex ed. The fact is that while many kids are abstinent, others aren't, and they might as well be prepared. I prefer the idea that kids are being wiser and using other contraceptives, being aware that pregnancy is a possibility. I have a very good friend who growing up was told by her mother "I don't want you having sex, I do not approve of you having sex, but if you are going to do it, tell me, so I can at least make sure you're protected." Might not work in all cases, but my friend remained chaste until her Salt Lake temple wedding two months ago.

I feel the same way, that abstinence-only sex education doesn't work for all teens. I think one reason why the teen pregnancy rate has dropped is that more teens are aware that pregnancy can happen, so they take precautions. Also, birth control pills might be used to treat painful and heavy periods, so many parents let their daughters get them for those reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Lower birth rates come from culture, contraceptive, and abortion. It's disturbing how much anti-baby (or anti human), yet almost in the same breath, pro "sexual freedom" stuff I come across.

Quite frankly having kids at 14-16 was probably a lot more common a few hundred years ago...

Probably common still in some areas of the world today (as viewed as a normality in a culture).