Sending a package to a "dry Mormon". What should I include?

lizzy16

I'm sending a package of to a young man in Ireland. His names Luke, he's 16. We are pen pals of sorts...He wants so badly to join the church but his parents won't let him even attend. He's studied the church mostly via the internet for the past 3 years. He knows about things, I mean he asks me questions about the Journals Of Discourse and random church things some teenagers don't know about :) He'll bring up quotes and favorite talks and such.

I'm sending him a package. He's requested a church book which I have multiple copies at my house. Besides that what else should I send?

What kind of church materiels or random things?

So far I have in this package- strength of youth, church magazines, true to the faith, conference ensigns, church cd's and movies, seminary scripture mastery books marks and folder and fold out chart thingy. And, pop tarts and root beer popsicle thingys .

Any other ideas?

I'm also sending a package to his friend who i also am pen friends with. His isn't church related. I have pop tarts and root beer thingys. Any other ideas?

How about adding your written testimony? That would be a personal touch that might sustain him until he can become more involved in the Church.

BTW, I think it's awesome that you are doing this. Such good works can only bear good fruit!

I didn't even think about that! I've emailed him my thoughts but never actually hand wrote anything. Thanks!

:mad:

Let's take this conversation on a different path. What if this was your son and you were trying to raise him a certain way, but somebody putting forth a stout effort to steal him from you and convert him to another religion? What if that person sent your son a package full of prescribed literature with the intent to convert him to a faith other than your own. Would you not view this as a hostile intrusion and interference upon the upbringing of your child?

You need to give this some serious thought. This is not only outrageously offensive, it's immoral.

Let's take this conversation on a different path. What if this was your son and you were trying to raise him a certain way, but somebody putting forth a stout effort to steal him from you and convert him to another religion? What if that person sent your son a package full of prescribed literature with the intent to convert him to a faith other than your own. Would you not view this as a hostile intrusion and interference upon the upbringing of your child?

You need to give this some serious thought. This is not only outrageously offensive, it's immoral.

His parents don't mind. They won't let him go to church because they want him focused for his GCES (school tests.) but after that they said they'd talk to him about it. He has pictures of the prophets printed and hung on the wall. He requested scriptures from lds.org and got them mailed to him. The missionaries dropped a few pamphlets off. And, his parents are buying him a CTR ring. It's not a religious thing. His family isn't religious. They just don't want him busy because they're very school focused.

And, Back to the original intended topic: What should I include ?

St. Michael has a valid point. It'd be one thing if his parents were neutral on the matter, but if they've proscribed him from attending it is fairly safe to assume they don't want him receiving a box full of Church materials.

Edit: Looks like they are neutral, making it a valid but ultimately moot point for this circumstance. Shutting up on the tangent now.

St. Michael has a valid point. It'd be one thing if his parents were neutral on the matter, but if they've proscribed him from attending it is fairly safe to assume they don't want him receiving a box full of Church materials.

Edit: Looks like they are neutral, making it a valid but ultimately moot point for this circumstance. Shutting up on the tangent now.

it's not having the information its the time for church and the activities. His parents literally have him study 3-4 hours after school for his GCES in June. Not a bad thing, he just doesn't have the time...

EDIT: You edited before I got to you :)

Since when is missionary work immoral?

How about "Jesus the Christ" by James E Talmage...... and a bag of M&Ms.... I find it relaxing to eat my big bag of M&Ms while I read. Im not ignorant, but do they have M&Ms in Ireland ?

If you send Jesus the Christ, be prepared to send a dictionary, too. Maybe start with A Marvelous Work and a Wonder.

Our Heritage would be another good one -- a brief history of the early church.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I can't just let this go without comment. As the mother of four children who are all past their teen years, I cannot agree that this is the immoral intrusion that you claim. My children were taught to learn good things from everyone, every culture, every religion. When a friend of theirs had offered insight into another religion, we would have welcomed the opportunity for discussion.

As a convert who found and joined the Church during my own teen years, I will be eternally grateful to the individuals who committed the "outrageous offense" of helping me learn about and become a member of the Church even though my parents were somewhat opposed to the idea. Although I could have waited until adulthood to enter the waters of baptism, my life would be very different if I had waited. I am thankful every day for those people who chose to offer me these opportunities to learn about the Gospel.

Now, back to Lizzy's question:

I have sent several packages to various areas in Europe and found that the flat rate boxes were the best deal. In addition, my friends in Britain and Europe were delighted to receive things that were distinctly American. One Welsh friend got a box full of dark chocolate M&Ms because, at that time, they weren't available any where in the country. Had to help out another dark-side chocoholic, you know! ;)

Posters? Or do teens not do that anymore.

well, they better be small.....or i could send them in a tube. but things in a tube rarely lay flat after words.

They come in small - postcard size small - Mormonads - LDS On line Store and at $0.50 a set, free shipping in the US - they are a great buy.

You could also get him a subscription to either the Era or the Ensign. A one year subscription is $8.00. You could save that as a Christmas or birthday gift.

To Slamjet: Before you go to Deseret Book, check out lds.org on line store first. It is always cheaper and there is no shipping costs in the US, and I believe minimal shipping to other countries.

Edited by Iggy
spelling

Living in an area where we don't get the cultural side to being LDS, our kids are really jazzed about getting little things like those scripture stickers you can put on the pages, or those t-shirts that people tend to make fun of...there are extremely few LDS teens around here so they are actually a good conversation starter. A CTR ring is a good idea...pictures...a toy BOM figure (my kids got such a kick out of that!) A box of lime jello mix, invite some friends over, and voila, a church activity!

Yeah, going to the LDS bookstore was like Harry Potter going into Honeydukes for the first time. My kids were like, "whoa, come look at THIS guys!" "Mom, they got a wheat grinder in a book store!" and "WOW! Captain Moroni was HUGE!"

I'm sending him a package. He's requested a church book which I have multiple copies at my house. Besides that what else should I send?

What kind of church materiels or random things?

Well.... Ive never been to Ireland, so.... you can fit me in the box. Im church material. I promise I'll dress churchy..... I'll even bring the M&Ms.

If not , how about EFY cds ? I can also sing them too.... :D