Mission "honorable" release letters

clwnuke

Hello everyone, I'm a lifelong Mormon boy who is new to this site. I chose to join so that I could ask questions and communicate in a spiritual atmosphere. So here is my first question, I've read recently about missionaries receiving "honorable release letters" at the end of their missions. I didn't receive one when I came home at the end of my mission, my Stake President just met with me and released me (he was late for something and in a hurry). Does not having this letter mean that I didn't serve an "honorable" mission? I've always worried about that though I have no reason to think I did anything wrong and I would like to put the concerns to rest. Also, is there a way to get a copy of the letter? Does the Church store them?

I not familiar with an "honorable release letter." My Stake President released me in a 15 second phone call, and its been awhile since I've served so if I got a letter maybe it is buried somewhere.

Still I have never been asked to prove that I served an honorable mission, and I can't imagine ever needing to.

I would also figure that if yours was considered dishonorable discharge it would have been followed by some disciplinary action and you would know without any doubt. Given what you posted I would believe you are fine but I know of no way to give you positive proof.

A peice of paper does not validate a true event, it merely records it. If you served your entire mission and were thus released from full time status by your stake president, then you recieved your honorable release. My stake president met with me at the airport when I got home. We spoke for about a minute, then he told me I was officially released from my mission and that he was looking forward to my report to the stake high council that evening.

Also, a mission is not like military service, where honorable release can be a good thing to have on a resume. You serve a mission, then the blessings you get are between you and God. They're not for public approval or evaluation.

Thank you for the replies. It's good to know that I was not the only one with a quick release! I did enjoy reporting to the High Council about my mission and I look forward to a future mission ;)

The "release letter" you talk about is solely at the discretion of the Mission President. It is not an official letter from the church. As an AP in a foreign mission, I wrote a substantial amount of them on behalf of my non-English speaking Mission President. However, when a new President took office, he did not wish to do that, so the practice stopped.

Hello everyone, I'm a lifelong Mormon boy who is new to this site. I chose to join so that I could ask questions and communicate in a spiritual atmosphere. So here is my first question, I've read recently about missionaries receiving "honorable release letters" at the end of their missions. I didn't receive one when I came home at the end of my mission, my Stake President just met with me and released me (he was late for something and in a hurry). Does not having this letter mean that I didn't serve an "honorable" mission? I've always worried about that though I have no reason to think I did anything wrong and I would like to put the concerns to rest. Also, is there a way to get a copy of the letter? Does the Church store them?

im not aware of a particular necessity for such a letter.

its qute possible that some mission presidents like to have some sort event or tradition for missionaries who have completed their mission.

The "release letter" you talk about is solely at the discretion of the Mission President. It is not an official letter from the church. As an AP in a foreign mission, I wrote a substantial amount of them on behalf of my non-English speaking Mission President. However, when a new President took office, he did not wish to do that, so the practice stopped.

As so happens I was also in a foreign mission, and I left just as a new mission president had arrived. It is my understanding that he was fairly conservative with mission resources so perhaps he didn't write or send those letters either. Again, thank you for your response.

A current temple recommend is better than any letter of honorable release from any calling. It is the means by which we convey our worthiness to serve in any calling necessary any where we go.

The Traveler

A current temple recommend is better than any letter of honorable release from any calling. It is the means by which we convey our worthiness to serve in any calling necessary any where we go.

The Traveler

I'd like to second, thirds and fourth this, if there is any option to vote on something.

I'd probably steal others votes to throw into this as well.

I would also figure that if yours was considered dishonorable discharge it would have been followed by some disciplinary action and you would know without any doubt.

I remember reading a story (admittedly on an ex-LDS site) about a Mormon woman who was dating a nonmember. She persuaded him to meet with the missionaries and eventually he agreed to be baptized. The missionaries told her that it would be "so nice" if they could perform a double baptism for both her and her boyfriend. When she said "But I'm already a member!" they replied "But you were excommunicated weren't you?" It was the first she'd ever heard of it.

When she investigated it transpired that the previous bishop, with whom she had had some disagreements, had held a disciplinary court several months before and excommunicated her without ever telling her. (I can only imagine how embarrassed the missionaries must have felt by this time.) The new bishop clearly disagreed with this shabby treatment and offered to rebaptize her immediately, but the feeling of betrayal was too much. She didn't return to the Church.

Of course, you mustn't believe everything you read...and I'm sure you could find similar examples of "tricky practice" amongst the leaders of any church or religion. Even if the Church is true it doesn't mean all its leaders are perfect.

Edited by Jamie123
Added a bit.

I remember reading a story (admittedly on an ex-LDS site) about a Mormon woman who was dating a nonmember. She persuaded him to meet with the missionaries and eventually he agreed to be baptized. The missionaries told her that it would be "so nice" if they could perform a double baptism for both her and her boyfriend. When she said "But I'm already a member!" they replied "Yes, but you were excommunicated weren't you?" It was the first she'd ever heard of it.

After she complained to the bishop it transpired that the previous bishop, who had left the ward some months before, had held a disciplinary council and excommunicated her without ever telling her about it. (I can only imagine how embarrassed the missionaries must have been by now at their "it would be so nice" suggestion.) The new bishop clearly disagreed with this shabby treatment and offered to rebaptize her immediately, but the feeling of betrayal was too much for her. She didn't return to the Church.

Of course, you mustn't believe everything you read...but even if the Church is true it doesn't mean all its leaders are perfect.

Hmm... While I freely admit that the leadership can make mistakes, and be all to human. I'd want more details of the situation, which given the nature of the site seems unlikely, before changing my position