Churches view on Dinosaurs?

Chango

The main running theory right now is that feathers are nothing more than specialized scales.

Same idea with mammalian body hair.

It's first emergence probably came as a method for hatchlings to keep warm and were shed with the first "skin" as it grew and became ready to leave the nest.

In my childhood, it was well-understood that dinosaurs were simply gigantic reptiles just like we have today, and therefore obviously cold-blooded. It was therefore clear that the climate of the time was uniformly hot and that dinosaurs didn't -- indeed, couldn't -- live in cooler climates, perhaps even temperate climates. The idea of warm-blooded therapods revolutionized all that. Insulative body covering, such as with hair (mammals) or feathers (birds), then becomes an obvious advantage.

Feathers are marvelously insulative, much moreso than body hair. Yet there are flying creatures the size of birds that have no feathers (e.g. bats). So feathers appear to be more closely tied to endothermy than to flight.

it was considered pretty basic knowledge going through my zoology, ornithology, and herpetology classes.

I don't know which is scarier: That they offer a special class in herpes, or that you took it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The earth was created a long long time ago. The dinosaurs were not around during adam and eve. We know threw scriptures that adam and eve were created in gods image around 4,000 years before Christ. The flood was about 3,000 years before christ. They say dinosaurs are 40,000-50,000 years ago. We do not have the answers to what was all on the earth from the beginning of its creation. Cave man, etc. We do now that :God created the earth first, then created man in his own image. But we do not know how much time existed between the creation of the world and man kind in his image.

The earth was created a long long time ago. The dinosaurs were not around during adam and eve. We know threw scriptures that adam and eve were created in gods image around 4,000 years before Christ. The flood was about 3,000 years before christ. They say dinosaurs are 40,000-50,000 years ago. We do not have the answers to what was all on the earth from the beginning of its creation. Cave man, etc. We do now that :God created the earth first, then created man in his own image. But we do not know how much time existed between the creation of the world and man kind in his image.

grantstine, you are right in what you say regarding what we don't know. Fyi, your time scale is a bit off. The dinosaurs are about 1500 times older than you say; they all died off almost 70 million years ago.

It's also worth noting that, while the scriptures have a pretty impressive record of timekeeping when compared with secular date markers, they were not written to be the equivalent of a modern historical or scientific record. The whole creation story as presented in Genesis is a stylized and highly symbolic account of the important spiritual truths we need to know about our origins. It says little or nothing in a scientific or mechanistic sense about how mankind came to be here.

God created the dinosaurs to give children of our age something that would stimulate their minds. Kids love dinosaurs in todays time. There have been many studies on why kids are fascinated by dinosaurs. God created them to give kids safe and fun toys that would make them exercise their imagination and grow healthy brain cells. That's how I see God and dinosaurs.

They might have been 100 million years ago or 50,000 years ago??. We do not know. We have carbon dating which is not exact, but gives an estimate. We do though have a rough time line of the existence of adam and eve. The time lines are taught in church manuals.

Carbon dating isn't useful for things older than a few thousand years. It doesn't help at all in dating dinosaur remains. There are other radio and geological markers that serve to determine the dates of the dinosaurs.

The time lines taught in Church manuals are for helpful reference, but are not considered authoritative or doctrinal. Use them as is helpful, but don't make the mistake of thinking that they represent the last word in truth, or even that they represent some sort of "official position" for the Church.

I do not care about when dinosaurs were here. The time line for basic teachings you do not belief??. Do you belief we are in the 2011 year???. We do have records confirming this. Christ walked this earth around 2000 years ago. We do have years stated in both the bible and the book of mormon which is doctrine. Time lines, doctrine. Bible records which is doctrine in the church.

I do not care about when dinosaurs were here.

Interesting, then, that you're commenting on a thread about dinosaurs...

The time line for basic teachings you do not belief??.

Not sure what you mean. I don't know of any timelines "for basic teachings" that I don't believe, unless those timelines are spurious.

Do you belief we are in the 2011 year???.

Of course. That's true by definition. Or do you mean to ask if I believe Jesus was born exactly 2011 years ago? No, I don't (necessarily) believe that.

We do have records confirming this. Christ walked this earth around 2000 years ago.

I have no dispute with that statement.

We do have years stated in both the bible and the book of mormon which is doctrine. Time lines, doctrine. Bible records which is doctrine in the church.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, grantstine. Of what timelines do you speak?

Have you read the scriptures??. If not, they are good things to read. They tend to have the truth and yes (years or time lines of events). I have never read anything in any scripures that reference dinosaurs. The thing i do know is that they did not get washed away during the flood because they were not on earth at that time. If they were than noah would of had to put a pair of them on his boat, and it probably would of sunk it. Nice talking with you.

Have you read the scriptures??. If not, they are good things to read.

This is a great suggestion. Thanks. Do you have any specific scriptures that you suggest I concentrate on? It seems like there are just so many. Maybe you could help me get started.

They tend to have the truth and yes (years or time lines of events). I have never read anything in any scripures that reference dinosaurs.

Yes, I know. Nothing about cars, meteors, or linguistic metaforms, either. What do you make of that?

Nice talking with you.

The conversation has admittedly been a bit one-sided, but thanks.

Well. I read it and, all i have to say is that in the book of mormon which is doctrine, and the bible which is doctrine have times and acounts of events with years associated with events, which i would say are considered time lines, which would be considered doctrine. Please read the scriptures for references. I will agree with the church manuals which have many time lines. Yes they might not be exact, but i will stick with them. They have been approved by our prophet for use for teaching purposes within the church.

They have been approved by our prophet for use for teaching purposes within the church.

You're right. For teaching purposes. Within the Church. Not as hard and fast historically binding documents widely applicable. There is no definitive statement made by any church leader that says whether the timeline ascribed to the Bible is literal or complete.

We do though have a rough time line of the existence of adam and eve. The time lines are taught in church manuals.

Actually we don't, the timeline that you are talking about starts after they were kicked out of the garden.

I have never read anything in any scripures that reference dinosaurs.

Oh I have. The snake with legs (clearly a dinosaur) was cursed to eat dust all the days of his life (clearly massive asteroid fallout). It's all there in the Bible.

And for what it's worth, Leviathan can be found today in Loch Ness.

I am sorry, i thought that i was on lds.net, not rdls.net. I have to go study the new and old testament church manuals now. Wow. Just for the record it is very interesting that the time line starts after adam and eve got kicked out of the garden of eden, really??. That is a good one. Is this the time line that is taught in our old testament manual??. I will say to all, that the church has no standing on dinosaurs when, were etc. The church does have understanding that the flood was around 3,000 bc. And that christ was on this earth around 2,000 bc. And the record of the bible and mankind of all from adam and eve is around 4,000bc. I am now going to find lds.net.

Edited by grantstine

The church does have understanding that the flood was around 3,000 bc.

You may actually even be wrong about that. I don't believe the Church has an official stance on whether or not the flood was even a literal event, or just an allegorical tale.

/me waits for heads to roll...:lol:

God created the dinosaurs to give children of our age something that would stimulate their minds. Kids love dinosaurs in todays time. There have been many studies on why kids are fascinated by dinosaurs. God created them to give kids safe and fun toys that would make them exercise their imagination and grow healthy brain cells. That's how I see God and dinosaurs.

Since there were no smiley faces used..I'm certainly hoping this comment was made tongue in cheek.

I am sorry, i thought that i was on lds.net, not rdls.net. I have to go study the new and old testament church manuals now. Wow. Just for the record it is very interesting that the time line starts after adam and eve got kicked out of the garden of eden, really??. That is a good one. Is this the time line that is taught in our old testament manual??. I will say to all, that the church has no standing on dinosaurs when, were etc. The church does have understanding that the flood was around 3,000 bc. And that christ was on this earth around 2,000 bc. And the record of the bible and mankind of all from adam and eve is around 4,000bc. I am now going to find lds.net.

Oooh, sorry, grantstine. You made a typo. You have accidentally arrived at stinkingapostatescumbags.net. Ouch. Better luck next time.

Uh . . . care to correct that one?

And Vort, what's with this obsession with scumbags?