Case of the Missing "T"

pam

It takes more time NOT to pronounce them ;)

No it doen't. Why should I take the time to pause, think over the word I want to say, summon the physical effort of my vocal chords to create a "t" sound, think it over in my head to see if it sounds acceptable, and then finally say it?

No it doen't. Why should I take the time to pause, think over the word I want to say, summon the physical effort of my vocal chords to create a "t" sound, think it over in my head to see if it sounds acceptable, and then finally say it?

I do not know why you are pausing, thinking, straining, pondering. :confused:

Is "T" the only letter in the alphabet you have such difficulty with?

Guest Sachi001

This is one of my biggest pet peeves living in Utah. I'm constantly telling my kids who have now lived here most of their life, "Mountain has a T in it."

ksl.com - 'Case of the Missing 'T'" prominent among young Utah women

Pam, Americans have been corrupting the English language since .....oh when what? Since it corrupted Latin.

Miss the Hawaiian pidgin yet?

If can can, if no can no can da kine. Wat stay now cuz?;)

I do not know why you are pausing, thinking, straining, pondering.

Because it's not her native accent. At this point changing the way she pronounces the words would require a conscious effort. Either that or immersion and sufficient time (maybe). The dropping of the t in certain words is a regional accent, somewhat like how in Britian (in some accents at least) the r can be softer and sound dropped to an American ear or how in some American accents an r is added (such as "warsh" for wash), removing or adding a sound you were taught (from listening to how the a word is pronounced by those around you growing up) isn't always an easy process and for a lot of people not worth the effort to change.

It's like if you wanted to change how you pronounced the word greasy. There are two common ways to pronounce it (you can hear both ways here: Greasy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary). To change from grē-sē to grē-zē or visa versa is something that would require effort because you have an established phonetic pattern for the word (aka an accent) and if you don't think about it you'll tend to say the pre-change one. Now make it so it isn't a single word but a whole slew of them. Not saying it can't be done of course, but it can sometimes not be worth the effort*.

That language gets wired like it does is why accent coaches exist, it isn't second nature to just slip into any accent you might please (though some people have that as a talent). And in some cases you can have difficulty even hearing some sounds in other accents or languages because you were never taught them, it's like your brain just defaults to what it's familiar with. Think of some native Japanese or Chinese speaker's difficulties with the "r" sound. Or those of us who pronounce Mary, merry, and marry the same can have difficulty picking out the differences others put on them.

Pam, Americans have been corrupting the English language since .....oh when what? Since it corrupted Latin.

Miss the Hawaiian pidgin yet?

If can can, if no can no can da kine. Wat stay now cuz?;)

I have quite a few Poly coworkers. I can honestly say that I caught myself saying da kine once. Imagine after being gone for 18 years.

I keep saying these words over and over and I can't tell if I drop the T or not. I can't hear it. I grew up in Utah but spent the last 11 yrs in MN so who knows what I speak anymore.Now I live in Idaho or Ida'o as they say it. The case of the missing H.

That must be a new thing because when I lived there the 'H' was always pronounced, especially when saying the name of the state.

No, no. We're not anti-T-ites, Truegrits. For instance, I have problems pronouncing Ts.

And As, Bs, Cs, Ds, Es, Fs, Gs, Hs, Is, Js, Ks, Ls, Ms, Ns, Os, Ps, Qs, Rs, Ss, Us, Ws, Xs and Ys.

So... Pretty much, it's full glottal stops for every word excepts Zvv and Zzzz.

Edited by FunkyTown

When you are raised in Utah (ironically, the "t" in Utah is the one t we can say) it's very difficult. I had to teach that particular phoneme to 1st graders and it's really not that easy.

Sometimes hard "d" is hard to say as well, so it's just not the "t".