preparing for patriarchal blessing

Gang - I got approved for my patriarchal blessing. We talked about a few things, but of course it didn't occur to me to ask if there was anything I needed to do before hand, such as reading any particular scripture, wear a hair shirt, say 5 Hail Marys, etc. whoops, wrong religion... :lol:

Anyway, should I prepare myself in some way or just let it flow?

Guest gopecon

I second the fasting recommendation. You need to come prepared to feel the Spirit. On the day you see the patriarch I would go heavy on things that help you to do that. Scripture reading, prayer, listening to sacred music, etc.

The blessing will be recorded and you will get a copy within a couple of weeks, so don't feel like you have to remember every single word. Enjoy it for the spiritual experience that it should be.

dahlia, I recommend after you receive the blessing, to write down your thoughts and feelings in a diary or journal. As was said, you will receive a copy of the blessing, so don't worry about remembering each part of it. But, it's wonderful to write down your memory of what was said and your feelings to read later when things are tough.

Congrats, sister!

dahlia, I recommend after you receive the blessing, to write down your thoughts and feelings in a diary or journal. As was said, you will receive a copy of the blessing, so don't worry about remembering each part of it. But, it's wonderful to write down your memory of what was said and your feelings to read later when things are tough.

Congrats, sister!

This is a good idea. What parts of your blessing jump out at you will change over time based on what you are seeking from it. When I first got mine as I was preparing for my mission when I got mine (incidentally I got mine on October 31st) those stood out most to me, and when I was contemplating marriage the paragraphs that talked about that are what would stand out most to me. It's like how you can read a chapter in the scriptures and have one thing pop out at you and come back later and something completely different pops out at you.

Ditto what every one has said. Wish I had written my feelings & thoughts into a journal.

The Patriarch will talk with you before hand, then he will proceed with the blessing. Again, don't go expecting to see angels, or flames of fire.

I got mine on May 16 2010. It's been one year and a couple of months. I still read it about once a week...often times more :)

I prayed before I got mine, and I asked God to have certain things reviled. Things I wanted to know. They were :) I also fasted.

I LOVE my blessing. I absolutely adore it.

I suggest really understanding what a Patirchael blessing is and such. Theres loads of Ensign/New Era articles on LDS.net about them :)

I also wrote in my journey right when i got home. I love rereading it and seeing my overwhelming excitement about what my blessing said :)

If there is something specific you wish to see in your blessing, ask for it! Anything you specifically want guidance for for your life, keep it in your thoughts and prayers before the blessing. I didn't know we could do this going into mine, so my blessing ended up being very "generic". However, while I think it would have been nice to get something more specific in it, I am very happy with my patriarchal blessing. I always understand something a little bit better every time I read it, and as others said, certain things stand out to me more at different times in my life.

Do whatever you feel right doing to spiritually prepare yourself, and just enjoy the experience. :)

• 1 month later...

It went OK. I asked a friend from the ward to go with me, and I'm glad I did. I say it was 'OK' because I had heard such amazing things - 'the Patriarch answered the questions in my heart without even knowing me' kind of stuff, and I don't think that happened for me. I know it's not a fortune-telling event, but I did have things on my mind and I just think the blessing was very generic.

That said, I enjoyed meeting the Patriarch and got a very good vibe from him. I am still amazed that someone can have such a calling; in many ways it must be a great burden.

Maybe it works better when you are younger and have time to make things happen. I think I'm pretty much down whatever road I'm going to go down. Still, it was a good experience, and his words did give me hope that my son might convert, so that was nice.

Explanation, please? I'm a newbie to the church. I've heard the phrase "Patriarchal Blessing", but what is it, is it something everyone in the church receives at some point?

Thanks. :)

A patriarchal blessing is special priesthood blessing we can get from someone who has been ordained a patriarch. What this blessing is, is specific revelation relating to you and your life.

Generally what happens in it is it sets what house you are from or adopted into, some advice, sometimes there are predictions, sometimes there are special blessings given. I"d highly advise to prepare for one, and then go get it. I'd say ask the bishop about it.

Explanation, please? I'm a newbie to the church. I've heard the phrase "Patriarchal Blessing", but what is it, is it something everyone in the church receives at some point?

Thanks. :)

A patriarchal blessing is a blessing you receive under the hands of a patriarch. In general, it means a blessing you receive from your father, grandfather, or other patriarch, including Priesthood leaders, given for comfort or guidance (that is, not a blessing received in conjunction with an ordination or setting apart, or an anointing of the sick, for example).

It also specifically refers to a blessing received under the hands of a stake patriarch. A stake patriarch is a man, usually older and well-seasoned in Church service, who is called by the stake president to receive the Priesthood office of patriarch, one of five Melchizedek Priesthood offices given us (the other four are elder, high priest, seventy, and apostle). The duty of a stake patriarch is to give patriarchal blessings to stake members, wherein the recipient's Israelite lineage is pronounced -- that is, you are told to which Israelite tribe you belong -- and other blessings specific to the individual are given.

When people use the term "patriarchal blessing", they are almost always referring to the second definition above. This patriarchal blessing can be given by a worthy father, but I think the Church encourages such blessings to be given by ordained stake patriarchs instead. The patriarchal blessings given by stake patriarchs are recorded and archived by the Church, but not those given by non-ordained patriarchs. Most people receive this blessing, but it is not required to get it. Missionaries who have not received their patriarchal blessings before their service are, I believe, given them while in the missionary training center.

Edited by Vort

It went OK. ......

Maybe it works better when you are younger and have time to make things happen. I think I'm pretty much down whatever road I'm going to go down.

That could be, as an adult convert myself, mine seemed pretty generic even (dare I say it) kind of disappointing.

Nevertheless, pull yours out once a year and re-read it, you may find additional meaning you did not realize at the time. (You will get a copy mailed to you from the Church) I've gotten some additional insigt doing that.

Dahlia, I had to battle for months to get my blessing. Cars breaking down, the Patriarch rescheduling because of emergency surgery on his eyes and then coming down with an infection that landed him back in the hospital.

I was bombarded by the adversary from so many different avenues. I got sick- my boss got super antagonistic toward me(that one threw me for quite a loop- she was my mentor and was grooming me to take over her business one day). Changing my requested day off so I had to reschedule.

Finally,four months after my first call to the Patriarch to set a date, I make it to the Stake building, the Patriarch and his wife are there, I am still battling the lingering cold (ears gurgling, nose running, but I am not running a fever and the Dr has assured me I am not contagious).

The Patriarch puts his hands on my head and I feel FOUR hands, I am so overwhelmed with the spirit of the Holy Ghost and of the Patriarchs spirituality. The only thing I am thinking that is NOT Christ like right then is I sort of wish I had waited until my divorce was final so my maiden name would have been used. Oh well, this is the Lord's timing and I am not going to let a minor thing like my surname get the better of me.

I really didn't remember much of what he said. His voice was rich and it resonated through me. The small room we were in was filled floor to ceiling and wall to wall with happy spirits. My girlfriend who drove me there was with me, and she agreed that the room was full. We can only speculate that my ancestors (Grands I call them), and Witnessing Angels as well as the Holy Ghost were in attendance.

I had to wait until my blessing came in the mail. At first it seemed generic- and I felt a bit let down. No sooner had I thought that, then I went to my journal and read what I had written on the drive home- my feelings, thoughts and hopes.

Every single time I read my blessing, I find something new. New meaning, new feelings, new understanding.

When my divorce was finalized, I re-read my blessing. When I was fired, I turned to my blessing for comfort. When my now husband proposed to me, I again pulled out my blessing and re-read it.

When my oldest sister died, as my husband held me in his arms, together we read my blessing, and as always it brought me great comfort.

As time goes on and you are stumbling against the roadblocks that the adversary slams at you. As you rejoice in spiritual landmarks and conquests- your Patriarchal Blessing will comfort you, buoy you up and strengthen you. Mine is only a page and a half- sometimes I don't get past - - -You Are A Beloved Daughter Of God - - - Sometimes I absorb the entire thing. Feeling God's arms around me, feeling the presence of Ministering Angels. There is a LOT packed into those words, And BETWEEN all those words.

Edited by Iggy

I'm not the sort to just approach someone and ask for this (I'm just not inclined to ask for stuff for myself, as it tends to end up putting other people out, LOL!), but if someone I know at my church recommends it it would be something I'd like to have. Thanks to all for taking the time to explain it to me. :)

I'm not the sort to just approach someone and ask for this (I'm just not inclined to ask for stuff for myself, as it tends to end up putting other people out, LOL!), but if someone I know at my church recommends it it would be something I'd like to have. Thanks to all for taking the time to explain it to me. :)

This is something official - you need to talk to your Bishop to start the process. There is one Patriarch per stake authorized to give a Patriarchal blessing. Once you get the paperwork (recommend) from your Bishop you then call and make an appointment with the Pagtriarch (the Bishop will fill you in on the procedure)

Its not like a blessing of health or comfort than any Priesthood holder can give.

But it's not imperative that I get this blessing at all, right? Just trying to connect with the idea. I mean there's no hurry? Why would there be? I just joined the church. :)

No. There is no requirement or imperative that you ever get a patriarchal blessing. Most active Saints do wish to avail themselves of this blessing, however.

I believe full-time missionaries will be given their patriarchal blessing in the MTC if they have not already received it.

an explanation of a patriarchal blessing that my father gave to me before I got mine;

The scriptures are God's words to all of the world. It is advice and council on problems nearly everyone will face at some point in their lives.

A patriarchal blessing is Heavenly Father's opportunity to give you personal scripture that is specifically for you and you alone. He loves you so much that he wants this time to speak to your needs; to address what he knows will challenge you in the future years of your life.

Fasting and prayer help us focus our spirituality and put the mortal part of us in the background. If there are specific things concerning you, pray for guidance about those issues. As mentioned earlier, bring them up to the patriarch as well.

When the time comes to recieve the blessing, relax and let the spirit fill you and speak to you. Don't worry about what 'kind' of blessing you recieve. Short or long, detailed or generic, Heavenly Father knows what you will need most.