Christmas treats from the intimidated

dahlia

Gang -

Some of you may recall that last holiday season I was the happy recipient of a lot of baked good from members of my ward - and I wasn't even baptized yet.

Now that I am a busy member of the ward, there are people I know and to whom I'd like to give a token gift. While I am a good cake and cupcake maker, no way can I compete with the homemade candies - candy! - and other treats made by ladies in the ward.

Would it be too cheap to buy a bunch of those Danish butter cookie tins, tie 'em up with a bow and say 'here you are, Merry Christmas?' Most of these people have kids; I can't give individual presents and I think the kids would like the cookies. Every year I buy some holiday treats from a catalog and I plan to add a couple of ward names to that list, but I can't add them all and I really do want to give at least a token gift to some other ladies.

So, will I be shamed in front of my RS for not making my own goodies? With apologies to President Uchtdorf, maybe I should put BoM verses on the ribbons with a glue gun and sparkles? What say ye?

How are you at cookie making?

I do drop cookies pretty well. Oatmeal w/cinnamon & raisin. Oatmeal cinnamon w/chocolate chips, sugar, old fashioned molasses, etc. I have a 1 teaspoon size cookie scoop- so my cookies are that size. Quit doing roll them & cut 'em out! Way too time extensive! Even do Ginger cookies that way- Sorry Pam, I refuse to roll and cut!!

Paper plates, colored Reynolds plastic wrap and contrasting ribbon.

Each person gets three or four cookies. Remember you are not furnishing their personal Christmas party!

Last year we got fondant, fudge, peanut brittle. I would have preferred a tin of Danish Cookies! The fondant and fudge were very grainy and the peanut brittle didn't have much peanuts.

Any hoo- do cookies. You don't have to stand over the stove and stir the dang stuff. Just don't let them cook too long. If you don't like the paper plate delivery system, then buy to-go boxes at the Dollar store or Cash -n-Carry/ Smart-n-Final store.

One year I made Poppy Seed; Carrot; and Cranberry Breads - Baked them in the small aluminum pans and wrapped like a package in colored plastic wrap and topped with a mini bow (purchased at the Dollar Store). For every 2 people, I gave one loaf of bread. For my VTeacher I included a cube of real butter AND a tub of speadable cream cheese.

Here in Oregon, those breads were my signature Christmas gift to the Sisters I visit taught. Might just have to resurrect that tradition once again - - -IF I can find my recipes.

Edited by Iggy
corrected siae of cookie scoop- had to go see what size it was.

I would love a tin of butter cookies. They're awesome with cocoa.

There are lots of cute ideas out there that don't require baking. For instance, you could give a family a can of beans and a bottle of Mug and a card wishing them a Rootin' Tootin' Christmas. The ideas vary in classiness.

Edited by Eowyn

I would love a tin of butter cookies. They're awesome with cocoa.

There are lots of cute ideas out there that don't require baking. For instance, you could give a family a can of beans and a bottle of Mug and a card wishing them a Rootin' Tootin' Christmas. The ideas vary in classiness.

Where's the 'laugh' button for this? :D

I had not even thought of my 'visitees.' Gosh, it never ends, does it? And I guess my home teachers. Oh man... :o

Where's the 'laugh' button for this? :D

I had not even thought of my 'visitees.' Gosh, it never ends, does it? And I guess my home teachers. Oh man... :o

No laugh button because you posted in Advice- all it offers is Thanks.

That is why I do cookies. And I make them small- goes farther. My older sister buys gifting tins at the Dollar Store, me I go to Cash-n-Carry and get the to-go boxes.

I revel in my nonability to bake-ness. I tell people that I excel at whatever is on sale at Kroger that week. If we have some kind of pitch in and I'm expected to bring a dessert, I warn them that I do not bake--I buy (well, now that I'm married to Dravin and he bakes....I'll tell them I'll bring whatever my husband makes. :D )

I'd be thrilled with a tin of those cookies. They are one of my favorite kind and it's one of the things I look forward to at the holidays. I told my team at work that I loved them and ended up with 8 tins of those cookies. I was in 7th heaven.

Guest FixingTheWrongs

It is all good no matter what you give, but you can make candy, certian things are not hard. Everyone loves this and it only takes two ingredients.

Get a large container of salted mixed nuts from ether Costco or Sam's Club. Also, get some melting chocolate, ether milk or dark it doesn't matter. Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet and melt the chocolate and spoon it all over the nuts. Cool, break apart and enjoy.... errr... I mean give away. Super easy and the salt on the nuts mixed with the chocolate makes a great combination.

Brittle, or even just hard tack (the simple candy, not the biscuits) is pretty easy to make too. That said, even if there is someone homemade (edible or not) we can find you are comfortable with making (and that is affordable) there is no shame in store bought instead of homemade. And there is also no shame in repackaging.

For instance: Tin of hot coca* + crushed up candies = flavored cocao. peppermint, hard carmel, or toffee candies would work well I'd think. Or even a dash of cinnamon and cayenne (or preferred chile powder) powder to make mexican Hot Chocolate.

*Okay, it's moving away from repackaging but you could make your own hot chocolate, it's just cocoa powder, sugar (or other sweetener), and powdered milk.

Get the small pretzels (the loopy ones), line them up on a cookie sheet covered in waxed paper, put a Hershey's Kiss on top, put in an low (150') oven for abt 3-4 minutes and then press a holiday colored M&M into the soft chocolate, put in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour .. fast easy and way good!

One thing my dad likes to do is mix up a batch of his special bread dough, put it in a tin bread pan and take it to his families with baking instructions ... nothing better than fresh HOT bread!

For Beefche, send her a bale of hay....

For the rest, send them fruitcake. It's traditional, it is colorful, and next year they can recycle them by wrapping them up and sending them to other people.

Isn't dried up fruitcake considered a weapon in some countries?

Some of the baked goods I've given away as gifts are cookies, rice crispy treats, and banana bread. But, there have been years when I simply didn't have time to do much baking. Some of the gifts I've received that didn't require baking: popcorn, 7-Up, Gourmet Hot Cocoa, and cheese ball with crackers. My family loved all of these. The tin of cookies sounds wonderful. Also, food doesn't necessarily need to be the gift of choice. I've received holiday kitchen towels, fancy foaming soaps, holiday mugs (sometimes filled with candy canes or other holiday candies), etc. These were also just as wonderful to receive.

Some of the gifts I've received that didn't require baking: popcorn, 7-Up, Gourmet Hot Cocoa, and cheese ball with crackers. ,,, Also, food doesn't necessarily need to be the gift of choice. I've received holiday kitchen towels, fancy foaming soaps, holiday mugs (sometimes filled with candy canes or other holiday candies), etc.

You got 7-Up for a Christmas present? :lol:

I wonder how many mugs a person can handle, but I did think of a mug with gourmet cocoa for a couple of people.

M&M's - Have a Merry and Most wonderful Holiday Season!

Soup or soup mix - Wishing you a "Souper" holiday season.

Jolly Ranchers - Have a Holly "Jolly" Christmas

Bell - With each chime of this festive bell, may a Christmas wish come true. And bring you peace and happiness to last the year through. Merry Christmas

Fruit basket - May your New Year be festive and fruitful.

Grater and cheese - To a Grate Neighbor....Merry Christmas

You got 7-Up for a Christmas present? :lol:

I wonder how many mugs a person can handle, but I did think of a mug with gourmet cocoa for a couple of people.

Yup. We got 7-Up as a gift from the neighbors across the street. They had Christmas bows on the 2-liter bottle and a gift tag saying to the ____family from the Smith's. Actually, my kids loved it, because I don't buy soda very often.

And I've received mugs with packets of gourmet chocolate in them. I guess I'm easy to please, because I loved that too.