environmentalists?

sister_in_faith

I went to the temple today and during the endowment I started pondering how much that message seems to want us to take care of this earth that was made for us. It even seems to tell us to take care of the plants and animals so that they can have 'joy'. With these messages, why aren't members of the church more involved in environmental activist activities? or are they and I just don't see it? Does anyone else see the message the same way?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the impression that most 'environmentalists' want to do more than just 'protect the earth'. They seem to go so far as to say 'planet first, then people'.

I think most LDS are environmentally minded... but we don't put the planet above people in a (if I may say) 'cultish' way.

I'm an "environmentalist". Really, I prefer not to get involved in most of the "activist" things, because most of them are so extreme and one-sided in their views. But I have a Bachelors in Fish and Wildlife Management and am working on my Masters in the same. I have an Environmental Education Certificate and am trying to pursue a career in non-formal environmental education. I support my local animal shelter, wildlife rehabilitation center, nature center, zoo, children's science and discovery museum, and the raptor center I used to volunteer at in another state. I'd love to send my son to an "environmental" school and/or teach at one.

My love for the environment stems from my love for nature and animals, my desire to be a good "steward", and the joy I feel in natural settings. As I've worked on my studies I've found many many examples of ways that nature testifies of divinity and gives glory to God. I feel as though studying science has helped me gain a greater understanding of "how" God created the earth and all the universe. I'm sure there are a number of members who share my interest to some degree or another, but not everyone is passionate about it. Everyone has their own "niche" for work and interests, and the environment is most certainly my niche at least. :)

I haven't been through the temple yet to get my endowment, but I'm sure I'd see environmental ties to it since that is basically the focus of my life. So, you've found at least one "environmentalist" member here ;).

Everyone should become aware of the various groups & organizations that are working together to protect our environment, whether it be globally, nationally and/or locally. There is so much going on behind our backs that we don't know about because it is not being reported by the main media (TV, newspaper, radio, etc). It is shocking to learn just how extensive this really is, but one would not know this unless they investigate it themselves, so where to start is the biggest question? Luckily, there are more books & documentaries now available that show the extent of what is truly going on. Most of it is being perpetuated by the big mega agricultural companies that are more interested in profits than safety of the consumers. Anyone live near any of the CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations)? It is unbelievable how much & widespread these outfits are becoming. It has gotten so out of control that major contamination has moved into the sewers (bringing toxic poisons to treatment plants), into community waterways, pools, lakes, & into the neighborhoods. Those who live within the immediate vicinity are now suffering from major health issues & government agencies (local & federal) are not doing anything about it, not even enforcing the laws with these mega companies. There is a great article in the Nov issue of O magazine titled "This Is Not Farming". It covers the work of Lynn Henning in Michigan as she investigates & documents what has been going on. Please, please read it! Another excellent source to see and/or read (available as a movie & a book)is Food Inc. It is a very comprehensive documentary of what has been going on nationwide to our food source & how compromised it has become. Our rights to healthy, clean, unadulterated, unprocessed, live food is slowly, but consistently being taken away from us. This will continue unless we become more aware & become active in doing something about this. The pollution of the environment is directly affected by all of this. The CAFOs has highly contributed to a more toxic environment. For more information & interest in helping, please send me a message via this website or to my email: [email protected]

Judo, you are exactly what I was looking for! I don't think all members should go join green peace and attack whale boats!!! I just wish that there was a little more encouragement or teaching from the church about how we need to be good stewards of the earth. I also would like to see more teaching about being 'kind' to animals.

Our membership is strong. Imagine how much good could be done if our mindset was even a little more encouraged to take care our earth and our animals... Wanting to give them a life where it is possible to have joy! Wow. (Again, I'm not going to an extreme here... I still eat beef and chicken and I don't think that the slaughter process they go thru brings them joy, but the life that they live on earth should be the best we can provide... I donno, that's just how I'm feeling, but I'm still on a 'temple high'.) :)

sister_in_faith, I agree, we should care more about the environment than we do. I have left the temple feeling the same way before. The desert must continue to blossom as the rose and we need to be part of making that happen. Not because were scared but because we have a vision. President Kimball waxed rather poetic in a talk where he mentioned the environment, he said,

I have heard that the sense most closely associated with memory is the sense of smell. If this is true, then perhaps it explains the many pleasing feelings that overtake me these mornings when I am able to step outdoors for a few moments and breathe in the warm and comfortable aromas that I have come to associate over the years with the soil and vegetation of this good earth.

Now and then, when the moment is right, some particular scent -- perhaps only the green grass, or the smell of sage brought from a distance by a breeze -- will take me back to the days of my youth in Arizona. It was an arid country, yet it was fruitful under the hands of determined laborers.

We worked the land and the cattle in all kinds of weather, and when we traveled it was on horseback or in open wagons or carriages, mostly. I used to run like the wind with my brothers and sisters through the orchards, down the dusty lanes, past rows of corn, red tomatoes, onions, squash. Because of this, I suppose it is natural to think that in those days we were closer to elemental life. ("The False God's We Worship" Ensign June 1976)

why aren't members of the church more involved in environmental activist activities?

Because environmental activism was co-opted and tainted a few decades ago by anti-capitalists, marxists, communists, and people who seek the downfall of America.

If you want to be a wise steward of the earth like we're commanded to do, you can do it without associating with those people.

It should be noted that not everyone agrees on what good stewardship entails. Some would argue that it means trying to have a null impact, some would argue it means having a minimal impact, and others would argue it means having an impact with the eye towards future sustainability. Also as LM points out, some think it entails being members of certain organizations, and others disagree. Another example is hunting, some think taking deer as a part of managing a population is good stewardship, others disagree.

Heck, I just helped an Eagle Scout plant trees as part of his Eagle Project, but it wasn't part of an environmentally focused project and it wasn't on Arbor Day. Was I engaged in environmental activism, being a good steward, or something else?

I consider myself an environmentalist. I see scriptures supporting good stewardship all over the place and I try to keep a low footprint and not be excessive with what I use. But a number of the movements are a little out there IMO.

For example PETA. I'm a vegetarian (but not vegan). I think that much of what's stated is basically true. But the mode of presentation and action is ridiculous and that there can be more moderate ways to be environmentally and ethically sound without entirely ridding of meat (even though I don't eat it myself). So I'm not about to join in anytime soon despite being veg for over 9 years.

With luv,

BD

It should be noted that not everyone agrees on what good stewardship entails. Some would argue that it means trying to have a null impact, some would argue it means having a minimal impact, and others would argue it means having an impact with the eye towards future sustainability. Also as LM points out, some think it entails being members of certain organizations, and others disagree. Another example is hunting, some think taking deer as a part of managing a population is good stewardship, others disagree.

Heck, I just helped an Eagle Scout plant trees as part of his Eagle Project, but it wasn't part of an environmentally focused project and it wasn't on Arbor Day. Was I engaged in environmental activism, being a good steward, or something else?

Dravin, I think you've hit the nail on the head once again. Though we are taught to be good stewards and care for the planet, nobody seems to agree on just what the best way to go about doing this is. So much of this is tied up in how we view our standing with the planet, and why so many of the extreme activists in environmentalism tend to put a sour taste on it with their "planet before people" mentality that skippy mentioned.

Do we protect the planet for its sake alone, for the other animals and life because we consider them our equals, or for ourselves so that we can continue to utilize its resources into the future? Where we stand in our views and what we consider most important will affect how we go about being "activists".

Our level of involvement too will depend on how much we understand ecological systems. For example- my father is convinced that he doesn't need to worry about being conservative with water. Since water covers 3/4ths of the planet, and the amount of water stays relatively consistant he doesn't see how there could ever be a shortage of water. I've tried sharing what I've learned with him- that while the total amount of water may remain the same around the planet, the amount of drinkable water is very minimal and decreasing quickly. It doesn't do me any good though as he's set in his opinion on the matter. However, he does understand the need to be conservative with electricity and petroleum products, so he's contemplating the installation of solar panels on his house and strives to be gas-efficient. He also has a deep love for exotic animals and does what he can to help and support rehabilitation centers and zoos.

Educating the public about environmental issues is a very important part of environmental stewardship, because people won't be good stewards if they don't understand the necessity for conservation or understand how to best be conservative and involved. Just how much ergency do we need to have in our efforts? That will also depend on whether we think there is any immediate danger to ourselves or the planet. Since we are utilizing resources all around the globe and are so mobile, it can be hard to see any emerging problems without extensive study- especially here in America where most are living such a "pampered" life.

Personally, I think that the planet itself is not in any danger. Species have always come and gone throughout the millions of years life has been on the planet with extinctions and evolution working together in a constant flow of life and death. Even if our negligence leaves behind a "toxic" world, I think that balance would be maintained and new life would eventually find a way to utilize the avaialbe resources for survival. I do, however, think that humanity is in danger. I think that we are slowly changing the chemical make-up of the planet so that it will become inhospitable to human life- IF we don't start striving to live a more conservative and environmentally conscious lifestyle. However, I also believe that we are pushing the world into the conditions for the second coming, and that the "burning" will restore the planet to a livable state. Learning how to live sustainably will slow that process and give us more time to "prepare to meet God".

Another side to this, now that I've had some time to mull this over, is that we have to realize that Heavenly Father created this planet for us. He wants us to take care of it. He filled it with animal and plant life for our benefit. It is almost a RESPECT thing that we would want to take care of it! I am pretty sure that when he sees us litter or dump used motor oil down the drain into the river, or whatever that he 'cringes' a little. I guess I'm trying to say that this is a gift, a BEAUTIFUL gift, and we should cherish it.

I know that there are a lot of members who have their own moral compass insofar as how to treat our environment... my question is, why don't they teach this in church (or did I just miss that meeting?)? it seems to be a very important teaching when you are endowed, why not spotlight that in church as well?

I know that there are a lot of members who have their own moral compass insofar as how to treat our environment... my question is, why don't they teach this in church (or did I just miss that meeting?)? it seems to be a very important teaching when you are endowed, why not spotlight that in church as well?

You do realize that you reached your current understanding and stance based off what the church has taught you?? Right?

As for spotlighting it more... Okay in the place of what? Do you want them to talk less about Christ? The atonement? Repentance? forgiveness? Service? Missionary work? Temple Work? Family history? Or would you prefer that the church adds another hour or two to the Sunday service?

There is a very good reason the Church focuses on the basics and leaves the rest to personal study and conviction.

sister_in_faith, may I begin by saying this was a neat topic to bring up?

I consider myself something of an environmentalist, if by environmentalist you mean someone who cares about the environment and puts some importance in taking care of it. I consider environmental impact in many of my actions and I attempt efforts to reduce that impact. I recycle, I buy local/organic/cruelty-free/natural/etc when it's doable. I sincerely believe that we are to be wise and mindful stewards of this planet.

And I also daresay that most people do to some extent care about the planet. I'm sure that if you asked a few environmental opinion questions to the average person, you'd probably get a lot of pro-environment answers. My husband is kind of the stereotypical conservative who sort of has a knee-jerk reaction against environmental policies--mainly because of what Loudmouth said. But when I we sit and talk about them, he does admit to supporting many causes--he just hates the idea of the wild liberal whaleship bombing kill-all-humans kind of environmentalism.

There seems to be a black-and-white view of environmentalism. The perception (not necessarily the truth) is that you are either the aforementioned environmentalist or all for killing endangered animal babies.

Another side to this, now that I've had some time to mull this over, is that we have to realize that Heavenly Father created this planet for us. He wants us to take care of it. He filled it with animal and plant life for our benefit. It is almost a RESPECT thing that we would want to take care of it! I am pretty sure that when he sees us litter or dump used motor oil down the drain into the river, or whatever that he 'cringes' a little. I guess I'm trying to say that this is a gift, a BEAUTIFUL gift, and we should cherish it.

I agree with you about the respect, but I think the church focuses on environmentalism as much as it needs to. It's one of those "side" things that should just be an expression of our faith on the most important aspect of the gospel- the Savior. Maybe adding a lesson dedicated to "stewardship" .... but I don't think it's really necessary. It'd be nice, but its one of those things that could potentially take away from the central message of faith, repentance, and covenants.

I buy local/organic/cruelty-free/natural/etc when it's doable. I sincerely believe that we are to be wise and mindful stewards of this planet.

I know you weren't asking, but I saw this and just thought I'd let you know in case you're interested:

Buying local is more important and more environmentally helpful than buying organic. Organic is not all it's cracked up to be. It just means that it isn't "artifical"... no genetic modification or use of pesticides/herbicides, etc. Labels and advertisements purport organic foods to be more healthy than non-organic and better for the environment. While not using pesticides is helpful to a degree, its not really all they say it is. Buying local supports both the environment and the economy- supporting local farmers and cutting down on transportation and preservation costs to keep your foods fresh while it travels to you. Buying local is VERY helpful. :D

Also, organic vs. cage-free is the same deal. Cage-free eggs and poultry promotes small "business" chicken-raisers over industrial raised chickens. It is better and healthier for the chickens than the chickens simply being "organic"- which just means they aren't fed "artificial" foods.

There seems to be a black-and-white view of environmentalism. The perception (not necessarily the truth) is that you are either the aforementioned environmentalist or all for killing endangered animal babies.

Yeah, there is definitely a lot of gray area in environmentalism. It's not as black and white as many think it is, and hopefully that perception is changing. I think the extremists have made things harder, because many people are more resistant to environmental advice since environmentalists are perceived as "crazy tree-huggers".

You do realize that you reached your current understanding and stance based off what the church has taught you?? Right?

As for spotlighting it more... Okay in the place of what? Do you want them to talk less about Christ? The atonement? Repentance? forgiveness? Service? Missionary work? Temple Work? Family history? Or would you prefer that the church adds another hour or two to the Sunday service?

There is a very good reason the Church focuses on the basics and leaves the rest to personal study and conviction.

Um, humm.

First, no, I haven't learned anything about how to treat the earth from the church. I was baptized in 2007 and I have heard nothing (except from temple teachings) about taking care of this earth, plants and animals. My current understanding and stance is based off of what my mother taught me when I was growing up.

I'm sorry I'm so confused by the tone of this post I'm having a hard time coming up with a retort. But let me try. Yep. Sorry, nothing is coming. I don't want to be sarcastic, so I'm just going to let it drop.

What I am trying to illustrate is if it is an important teaching in the endowment (assuming I have interpreted it correctly) then it should be important enough to teach in church. And I have to admit I'm a little sheepish bringing it up because I don't want to be touching on things that are sacred.

As for adding an hour or two to meetings, or cancelling teaching on the atonement, repentence, forgiveness or temple work so we have time to talk about earth stewardship... I can't even imagine where you got the notion that this would be an idea that I would support. That is plain dumb. Still shaking my head on that. UGH!

:confused:

You know, something else just dawned on me... If we were to all follow very closely teachings like growing our own food, making our own clothes, being self reliant, etc. then by default we WOULD be being very environmentally minded. If we all grew our own food imagine how much we would cut down on Walmart having to truck in our food for us. We would be in touch with the earth, and would want to take care of it more. We wouldn't want to do things that pollute the environment, because our crops and animals depend on it to be healthy.

So looking on it from that perspective we have been taught these principles in church, and it's MY fault that I missed it. :) I may have just answered my own question.

I know you weren't asking, but I saw this and just thought I'd let you know in case you're interested:

Buying local is more important and more environmentally helpful than buying organic. Organic is not all it's cracked up to be. It just means that it isn't "artifical"... no genetic modification or use of pesticides/herbicides, etc. Labels and advertisements purport organic foods to be more healthy than non-organic and better for the environment. While not using pesticides is helpful to a degree, its not really all they say it is. Buying local supports both the environment and the economy- supporting local farmers and cutting down on transportation and preservation costs to keep your foods fresh while it travels to you. Buying local is VERY helpful. :D

Also, organic vs. cage-free is the same deal. Cage-free eggs and poultry promotes small "business" chicken-raisers over industrial raised chickens. It is better and healthier for the chickens than the chickens simply being "organic"- which just means they aren't fed "artificial" foods.

Oh, yes, I quite know. I actually had a friendly debate with someone the other night in the egg aisle. I was buying some local guy's eggs while this other guy was buying some cage-free ones. We discussed which was better.

I guess I meant that long range of slashes to depend on the cirumstance. :D

You know, something else just dawned on me... If we were to all follow very closely teachings like growing our own food, making our own clothes, being self reliant, etc. then by default we WOULD be being very environmentally minded. If we all grew our own food imagine how much we would cut down on Walmart having to truck in our food for us. We would be in touch with the earth, and would want to take care of it more. We wouldn't want to do things that pollute the environment, because our crops and animals depend on it to be healthy.

So looking on it from that perspective we have been taught these principles in church, and it's MY fault that I missed it. :) I may have just answered my own question.

Bingo.

I once heard it said the people of the Great Depression were the ultimate role models for green living.

As for adding an hour or two to meetings, or cancelling teaching on the atonement, repentence, forgiveness or temple work so we have time to talk about earth stewardship... I can't even imagine where you got the notion that this would be an idea that I would support. That is plain dumb. Still shaking my head on that. UGH!

:confused:

Simple... I was addressing why don't we spotlight it more... Our meeting are already full of teachings... If we want to add more then something had got to drop out or more time needs to be added. I was trying to help you see what might need to be done to enable a spot light like you requested..

Anyway looks like you got your answer so all is good

AS we grow in the gospel if we follow in the Masters footsteps our reverence and care for all of His creations will come through.

As a kid we didn't have alot and if my father hadn't been able to hunt we would not have been able to eat. When things got better he quit hunting ... said his heart wasn't in it because it wasn't necessary anymore. Our ward had a regular work project where we adopted an 7 miles stretch of highway and did clean up on it.

Just a couple of examples ... the church teaches the gospel principles ... the home needs to be the place to implement them ... how about Family Home evening? Children learn what they see ... if parents have a reverence for all life so will their children. The church can only do so much .... we have to step up and do the rest.

JHO ... don't get me on my soap box about PETA .... highest kill rate of any shelter in the US ... they are anything but ethical. Research is suggested.

Guest gopecon

I like to think of myself as a conservationist, rather than an environmentalist, to differentiate between users of the outdoors and the crazy tree-hugger types. Conservationist implies that we are taking care of what we have, but we are still using it. With regard to our natural resources, some of the people who make the biggest difference are the hunters and fishermen who want their sports to be around for the next generations. Sure there are bad apples in any bunch, but the people who have made the biggest difference in protecting land and species are often the ones who use them the most.

As for it being taught in Church, the scouting program that is strongly supported by the Church teaches a lot about conservation of resources. We always did a walk through of our campsites to make sure every bit of trash we might have left was gone. The result was generally that we left campgrounds cleaner than when we arrived.

We just had our neighborhood first bunny shoot. Got five between me and one neighbor. Our kids helped a little, and we now have 3 bunnies in the freezer. My wife is having a go at learning about tanning hides, and if it works out, she'll make some Christmas presents out of the hides. She's thinking muffs

Like that?

Just to point out...Christ, never once, rode in a Hummer.

I think being providing good husbandry to the earth is important, and part of the test we are given. It's like a parent giving the kids the keys to the car and telling them to take care of it. Sure we can have a wild party, drop the oil pan over a few speed bumps, invite all our friends to ride in it with us, but in the end we still have to come home and explain what the heck happened. Or we can take care of it, not tear it up and maybe get the chance to drive it again at some other point, or even....get it handed down to us freely titled and all.

The planet/animals are just like that, IMHO. Either we can prove we can take care of each other and our Fathers things and be responsible with them...or not.

Now I am not saying we have to be all extremist and all that stuff, but the WoW tells us to have moderation in all thing, including what we eat. We are told to be as self supporting as possible, raise our own gardens, can our own food....all of which are environmentally sound if done right.