Legal status of Polygamy

Newton

I'm just a student in high school who wishes to garner the opinions of Mormons on the topic of Polygamy.

Seeing that this is my first post, let me introduce myself.

I'm a student in Florida currently enrolled in Honors American Government and Politics. As students, we we are required to complete a civic advocacy project which involves the active protest of any law we choose, and research on popular opinion of that law. My partners and I have chosen the topic of the current illegal status of polygamy in our state.

So here it goes:

1) As Mormons, how do you feel about the practice of Polygamy in general?

2) Why did the Mormon Church abandon the practice of Polygamy after so long?

3) Technically speaking, polygamy is legal in 43 states through serial civil divorce . Florida, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Virginia and West Virginia have gone one step further and banned cohabitation among people who have multiple sex partners and are not married. How many of you were aware of these laws, and do you live in one of the aforementioned states?

And last but not least,

4) To what extent do you feel that the government should interfere with the structure of a family, whether it involves same-sex marriage, polygamy, or other factors?

If you could answer as many of these questions as you can, your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Edited by beefche

Hidden

I'm just a student in high school who wishes to garner the opinions of Mormons on the topic of Polygamy.

I'm a student in Florida currently enrolled in Honors American Government and Politics. As students, we we are required to complete a civic advocacy project which involves the active protest of any law we choose, and research on popular opinion of that law. My partners and I have chosen the topic of the current illegal status of polygamy in our state.

So here it goes:

3) Technically speaking, polygamy is legal in 43 states through serial civil divorce . Florida, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Virginia and West Virginia have gone one step further and banned cohabitation among people who have multiple sex partners and are not married. How many of you were aware of these laws, and do you live in one of the aforementioned states?

And last but not least,

4) To what extent do you feel that the government should interfere with the structure of a family, whether it involves same-sex marriage, polygamy, or other factors?

If you could answer as many of these questions as you can, your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

:lol:

1. Its illegal is how we feel about it.

2. To become a state Utah had to abandon polygamy so the prophet prayed about it and God said to stop practicing it.

3. I dont live in a state that it is legal. Are you sure its legal on those 43 states?

4. I dont have an opinion on government interfering with marriage. I do believe the government should support traditional marriage.

It's not to be done unless commanded of God through his authorized servants, so generally speaking I feel it shouldn't be practiced.

Official Declaration 1*. For the record, the actual name of the Church is the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon is probably the more commonly known appellation though). I'm not sure if you are aware of that or not, but if you are going to be writing a report or giving a presentation it's useful information to know.

3) Technically speaking, polygamy is legal in 43 states through serial civil divorce .

Polygamy is being married to multiple partners at the same time (a lot of people say polygamy when they probably mean polygyny). For purposes that distinguish it from cohabitation while purporting to be married you'll have to explain how serial civil divorce allows one to be married to multiple partners at the same time. Is it simply that one is only legally married to one spouse (at a time) but claims to be the spouse of others? If so pointing to it as legal polygamy is somewhat like claiming one can marry a tree stump because I can, without legal repercussions, declare it to be my wife or likewise that despite the law my wife can't divorce me because I claim we're still married.

As far as the various state's laws, I was not aware that any state made cohabitation with multiple sex partners without being married against the law. I live in Indiana.

Personally I'm torn on the issue. I recognize the importance of stable families, and understand the desires and aims to encourage such through legislation (and I realize just what is a stable family depends on who you ask) but it runs up against concepts of personal freedom and ideas about limiting government influence. A line needs to be drawn between the two but I'm not entirely sure where it belongs.

Edited by Dravin

Keep in mind that just like any other Church, the opinion of members of the Church varies depending on the individual.

I have no problem with Polygamy as long as it's practiced between consenting adults.

According to the Prophet at the time, the Lord showed him by vision and revelation exactly what would take place if they did not stop this practice.In my opinion, it was a mix between revelation and strong/overwhelming social and political pressure.

I wasn't aware of those laws or live in those states.

Not sure exactly. I have no problem with polygamy and I am not against same sex marriage (legally speaking).

Guest gopecon

1) It shouldn't be practiced without consent from God. That said, there are a lot of things that we shouldn't do according to God, but that should not be legal issues.

2) I think this has been covered, although I'd dispute the premise of your question a bit. The "so long" period that new polygamous relationships were openly sanctioned was less than 50 years. (1840's to 1890).

3) I'm not aware of the legalities you are talking about. One way that people work around polygamy laws today is by just not having additional marriages sanctioned by the law. It turns into consenting adults living together.

4) My opinion here (as most of the above is) - I don't like government getting involved in family matters unless there is abuse present. I have no problem with them going after Warren Jeffs due to the credible allegations of child abuse. If people can work out a relationship that provides for the children (without welfare fraud), and allows them all to grow to adulthood relatively normally (i.e. no early teenage marriage or pushing teenage boys out the door to avoid competition), then I would rather the government leave them alone. I'm not in favor of same sex marriage, although the rationale for such is similar to polygamy (consenting adults, etc.). I think that's too much of a change in the definition of marriage - which is the fundamental unit of society.

So here it goes:

And last but not least,

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1) It doesnt matter to me one way or the other as long as its properly used.

2) We did not want to go to war against or be removed from the United states- God felt that for the time being it wouild be more conducive to his plans that we remain part of it.

3) Thats more of a loophole sort of thing, which really wouldnt work in the church even if polygamy was allowed. And within the church cohabitation does not equal marriage.

4) it shouldn't or should be very low level jurisdiction on it. however since the anti-polygamy laws were instituted that's not going to be the case.

So here it goes:

And last but not least,

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1) I agree it came from God, and (think I mostly) understand the theological rationale behind it. Wouldn't want to live it personally, though.

2) Because it was threatened with complete and utter destruction if it didn't stop. See Dravin's link. Woodruff wasn't just being paranoid--Congress had already passed laws liquidating the Church and prohibiting its members from immigrating to the US. Idaho Territory had gone so far as to prevent Mormons from voting.

3) Not really interested in the serial-divorce-as-polygamy angle. I think there are other states that have unlawful cohabitation statutes--Texas, I think, prosecuted some polygamists on that charge within the last five years and was able to get convictions; though my personal opinion is that Lawrence makes unlawful cohabitation statutes constitutionally suspect.

4) I think government ought to let people structure their domestic relationships however they wish. I do not think government needs to formally recognize either gay marriage or polygamous families. And while I'm outside the mainstream of Mormon thought on this one, I'm leaning towards the idea that the states should re-think whether and how they want to recognize marriage in general and that the federal government shouldn't recognize it at all.

I'd hardly qualify serial civil divorce as leading to polygamy. I would think most people practicing polygamy are married through ceremonies that are not sanctioned by the state.

As for how I feel about polygamy, my main concern for families is that they are able to raise their children in a conscientious fashion. This applies to any kind of family.

When I first read #4 I thought you were asking about if the government should control marriage. Now I see you worded it if the government should "interfere with the structure of a family". I suppose the main way they could do this is shaping marriage according to the laws of the land. I know how closed minded this sounds but I'll say it. I will support the government controlling marriages if they shape the laws around what I think a marriage should be. Mostly marriage between consenting adults, one man and one woman.

Really though, a large part of me would like the government to butt out of a lot of things, marriage included, but I recognize how a large part of our society is shaped by these laws and how those laws are supported by other structures (health care availability, inheritances, and of course taxes).

Now a little personal note about polygamy. When I was a teenager and young adult (ok, like, 20) I could not fathom how polygamy could lead to a healthy and fulfilling relationship. The idea of a man being married to more than one woman was just ICK! (eloquent, I know). Now that I'm married and have kids, I'm much more open to the idea. I'm madly in love with my husband and I by no means want to 'share him' but I see now that polygamy is in the very least about that. The idea of having other women to raise my children with is a nice idea. It would never work with me or my husband, my husband could not handle it and I wouldn't want to handle it, but I see now it is not about the sex but a lot about raising children in a community that is family. The support, especially emotionally for the women, is actually a very positive thing.

So here it goes:

And last but not least,

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1. Pertaining only to my Mormon beliefs, I believe that polygamy is not currently advocated by the authority of my church but rather is grounds for dismissal. I do however believe it be a perfectly reasonable state of companionship in the eternities. On a grander scale, I have no complaint with the concept of polygamy itself.

2. I don't claim to know the details and frankly I don't really dwell on it. I figure making peace with the government was more important at the time.

3. I was not aware of those laws but I find them fascinating. Have never lived in any of them.

4. Unless someone is being hurt and laws are being blatantly broken, I don't think the government has any business.

On a side note, I think polygamy has gotten a bad rap through the media.

As far as the various state's laws, I was not aware that any state made cohabitation with multiple sex partners without being married against the law. I live in Indiana.

Absolutely. The 43 states that do not ban cohabitation simply rule that each person be legally married to one other person, but could be married to multiple partners under the church. The state would not recognize the marriage under the church.

Guest Magen_Avot

1) Hate it.

2) Forced to. (Thank goodness)

3) Didn't know or care. Still don't care :D

4) Seems if they (the Gov) infringe on one then they should infringe on all,... or none. That'd make marriage either legal or not. But then should they micromanage every relationship including boy/girl friends? one night stands? ... perhaps agency should be left to the individual. But I'd still vote for marriage between one man and one woman cuz that's my universe. Legal or not,... leave people be, no room for bullies.

Edited by Magen_Avot

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

"1) As Mormons, how do you feel about the practice of Polygamy in general?

And last but not least,

4) To what extent do you feel that the government should interfere with the structure of a family, whether it involves same-sex marriage, polygamy, or other factors?"

1) I feel the Constitution originally protected people if they wanted to be polygamists. The government has no right telling people how to run their lives. If people, one man and three women, contract to coexist in a polygamous relationship then that relationship should be honored. It is an Eternal law and will be practiced in the Heavens.

2)They abandoned it because it fulfilled its purpose, to grow the Church and allow single women to obtain all promised blessings in this life, and because mobs supported by the government were killing Mormons for practicing it.

3) I am not aware of all the polygamy laws. I live in Arizona.

4) They absolutely should not interfere with the family! Marriage and family is a religious entity and government should honor religious practices such as marriage. The government doesn't need to have a say in religious matters. They just need to honor contracts. If a man contracts with one woman or three that is his right under the Constitution. If a woman contracts with three men or one that is her right under the Constitution. They can call it whatever they want. Likewise with homosexuals. The oddity exists on why homosexuals want the term "marriage" Marriage has been for one man and one woman and that should be respected among all communities. Homosexuals can contract with each other but there is no reason for them to call it marriage. They should find their own name for their decision to destroy their ability to procreate. Their posterity dies with them.

Edited by AGStacker

As students, we we are required to complete a civic advocacy project which involves the active protest of any law we choose, and research on popular opinion of that law. My partners and I have chosen the topic of the current illegal status of polygamy in our state.

Why not the laws against, say, child marriage? What's special about polygamy?

I have no particular feelings about it.

Because God told them to do so, in order to avoid the destruction of the Church.

3) Technically speaking, polygamy is legal in 43 states through serial civil divorce .

That is not polygamy, technically or in any other sense.

Florida, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Virginia and West Virginia have gone one step further and banned cohabitation among people who have multiple sex partners and are not married. How many of you were aware of these laws, and do you live in one of the aforementioned states?

I was not aware of such laws. I do not live in one of the states mentioned.

The purposes of government are to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty upon the people. All of these purposes are furthered by strengthening the foundation of society, which is the nuclear family. So I favor reasonable governmental intervention that tends to strengthen the nuclear family.

The purposes of government are to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty upon the people. All of these purposes are furthered by strengthening the foundation of society, which is the nuclear family. So I favor reasonable governmental intervention that tends to strengthen the nuclear family.

How you put it:

Posted Image

WHen I try to explain it:

Posted Image