Is this art?

pam

Performance artist gives birth in NYC art gallery | ksl.com

NEW YORK (AP) - A performance artist who said giving birth is the "highest form of art" has delivered a baby boy _ inside a New York City art gallery.

Marni Kotak gave birth at 10:17 a.m. on Tuesday, the Microscope Gallery in Brooklyn said in a brief statement, adding that everyone was recuperating on Wednesday. It said the baby was 21 inches long and weighed 9 pounds, 2 ounces

Performance artist gives birth in NYC art gallery | ksl.com

NEW YORK (AP) - A performance artist who said giving birth is the "highest form of art" has delivered a baby boy _ inside a New York City art gallery.

Marni Kotak gave birth at 10:17 a.m. on Tuesday, the Microscope Gallery in Brooklyn said in a brief statement, adding that everyone was recuperating on Wednesday. It said the baby was 21 inches long and weighed 9 pounds, 2 ounces

Don't think she gave any encores.

I wouldn't classify it as art but I don't see it as "bad" either. Lots of women choose to birth with an audience, which may consist of coworkers, friends, extended relatives and immediate family (of all ages and both genders). This woman just chose a different venue with some extra spectators.

She made it all artsy and cute in the public bedroom, then most likely got all that cuteness and bloody and gross.

Sorry, it's almost Halloween, my mind went there.....

But I think not art, at all. Whats next, pooping in public and calling it art? I mean half the population can give birth........no big deal. Now, if she did it while dancing or doing theatre or something, THAT would would be preformance art.

Next she will be changing the baby and breastfeeding at the same museum, calling it art.

You know what, next time anyone questions a decision of mine I'm just going to explain it was all an art project.

Officer: Sir, you were going 35 mph in a school zone.

Me: Well, you see officer, it's art. It's moving sculpture about the inattention man pays to man.

Officer: Uhhuh... give me your license and registration.

Person entering bathroom: Oh my goodness! What died!

Me: What you are smelling is art. I call it, "Taco Bell's Inhumanity to Man."

Person: *gag*

Professor: This paper is horrible.

Me: It's an artistic piece about man's plight to conform but also be a free spirit. The use of English and Times New Roman is conformation to the demands of a rigid society, but the spelling, grammar and paper structure represent the inner drive for rebellion and desire to be free from the demands of others. I call it, "A Schwa in the Dark."

Professor: I was going to give you a D, but now it's an F.

Edited by Dravin

Yeah, I would. It has more significance to me than a lot of modern art that I've seen if only for the reason it that can actually be interpreted fairly easy.

Though birt is a "natural process" it is here contrived creatively. The environment in created, the mode of birth is creative (especially in the U.S. where having a midwife and giving birth outside of a hospital is considered odd enough), and it's has symbolic route.

Though I might not be a fan of a specific art form doesn't change the fact that it is art. As modern art goes, I actually like this more than a lot of other stuff that I've seen. I would not have done it...I'm not a fan of modern art in the first place. But I like the message and the symbolic process of humanity as its own art form. I also enjoy the indirect message of mothers not simply following the call of nature, but creators and artists of a new generation's life. That motherhood is taken out of simply a regular/natural process, but a dynamic one that takes thought and active work and creation from birth....something i think that is largely missing in our society now.

So I like it for the message.

With luv,

BD

Edited by bluedreams