Tebowing

mordorbund

What are your thoughts about public displays of God praise, like Tebowing (he wasn't the first to kneel in the inzone, but he has the dubious honor of having it named for him) or the Jesus thanking at the Grammys? Do you find it inappropriate or shallow? Or do you think it's completely appropriate and fitting? Thoughts?

The silly thing is that he's not the first NFL player to have a religious pose after a major event in a game. For heaven's sake, players have been doing this since at least the early 80's when I started paying attention to football. He's also far from the first publicly Christian player to ever play the game.

What I want to know has nothing to do with Tebow directly, I want to know why everyone else is suddenly having cases of apoplexic reactions to a new player who's doing nothing more or less than dozens of other players have been doing for decades?

If you don't like it, fine, but he's still gonna do it. Would you rather him do his kneeling thing, or go home and beat his wife up, or get involved in drugs, or get involved in gangs, or any other number of things NFL players are known for doing?

ever wonder how many NFL players have a recent criminal record? I'd be fascinated to find out what the statistic is, and then throw that on the table when people bring up Tebow. It's time to put on your grown-up underwear and stop being offended by other people just because of how they choose to peacefully live ther lives.

Thank you. Rant over.

I think many Americans are upset that open hostitlity to Christianity in general, and mockery of our practices in particular, and hyping of our public figures who fail by sinning...and so we see this athlete who honors God by this gesture. Then it turns out he really believes in his religion, and lives it off the field. The response from some commentators, including one who told him to shut the --explative-- up, makes us want to cheer him on.

My guess is that even many who are not particularly religious, or Christian, are nevertheless heartened by someone unafraid to say what he believes, and who follows through by the way he behaves.

I think many Americans are upset that open hostitlity to Christianity in general, and mockery of our practices in particular, and hyping of our public figures who fail by sinning...and so we see this athlete who honors God by this gesture. Then it turns out he really believes in his religion, and lives it off the field. The response from some commentators, including one who told him to shut the --explative-- up, makes us want to cheer him on.

My guess is that even many who are not particularly religious, or Christian, are nevertheless heartened by someone unafraid to say what he believes, and who follows through by the way he behaves.

I agree completely. If by his example he helps others to be open in their beliefs even the better. Its getting very hard to be Christian openly anymore. Reminds me of other times in history. Say during the times of the lions.

What are your thoughts about public displays of God praise, like Tebowing (he wasn't the first to kneel in the inzone, but he has the dubious honor of having it named for him) or the Jesus thanking at the Grammys? Do you find it inappropriate or shallow? Or do you think it's completely appropriate and fitting? Thoughts?

I'll take it over gang signs or insults any day.

Other than that it doesnt matter to me much one way or the other.

Edited by Blackmarch

They call that "proposing." ;)

EDIT: As far as I understand it, "Tebowing" is specifically kneeling in prayer in a public place when either you're about to do something awesome or you just did something awesome.

LOL.

Well, yes, supposedly, Tebowing means to get down on one knee and start praying even at the most inopportune moment... but the public Tebowing has become just putting one closed fist on your forehead while kneeling on one knee, prayer not needed, as in the case of the NFL commentators doing it at half-time show. LOL.