The Second Coming Of Christ

isaiah28

Now obviously no man knoweth the day nor the hour of Christ's Second Coming, yet we see the signs and some ancient prophecies fulfilled, and one has to wonder how much longer we have until this time.

So when do you think all these things will occur? Also the scriptures tell us of calamities and destructions beforehand ... how long do you think these things will be? :)

Early Christians thought it would be 1950 years ago. Early Mormons thought it would be 150 years ago (as did lots of other Christians). If history is any guide, it will never happen.

As the kids' song goes:

Some day in outer space

God has prepared a place

For those who trust Him and obey

Jesus will come again

Although we don't know when

The countdown's getting lower every day

Ten and nine

Eight and seven

Six and five and four

Call upon the Savior while you may

Three and two

Coming through

The clouds a bright array

The countdown's getting lower every day

Along with the song comes the verse:

If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself, that where I am there you may be also. John 14:3

I have a friend who did a chronology of the Earth. According to his figure, Jesus was crucified in the year of the world 4,999. Which means he was born in the year 4,967. This is consistent with the statement in the D&C stating that He came in the meridian of time. Assuming that the romans got he year of His birth right when they made the modern calendar, that would put us in the year 6,973. Which means in the year 2033, the opening of the 7th seal spoken of in revelation and the D&C will occur. Leading up to this time, there will be increasing earthquakes and other natural disasters, as well as wars and rumors of wars. Upon the opening of the 7th seal, there will be silence in heaven for the space of one half of an hour according to revelation and the D&C. This is when the major calamities will take place. Given the time reckoning of this Earth to that of Heaven in the Pearl of Great price, one half of an hour in Heaven is equal to about 20 years on Earth. According to D&C 88, the second coming will follow immediately after this half hour.

According to this figure, that puts the second coming roughly around the year 2053; give or take.

L.H.

Now obviously no man knoweth the day nor the hour of Christ's Second Coming, yet we see the signs and some ancient prophecies fulfilled, and one has to wonder how much longer we have until this time.

So when do you think all these things will occur? Also the scriptures tell us of calamities and destructions beforehand ... how long do you think these things will be? :)

There was in ancient Israel a great feast that occurred on the first day of the Hebrew new year. I believe the first day of the year was the first day following the first Sunday following the first new moon after the vernal (spring) equinox. In order for this to happen valid witnesses (two or more) of both the equinox and the new moon must give witness before a judge in Israel. So until the sign was given no one knew when the first day of the year would come.

A saying was among the people concerning this problem of waiting for the sign. The saying prior to the sign was “no man knows the hour or the day”. Which was not really true because many could very accurately guess when the sign of the equinox and new moon would occur. If, however, the weather was overcast and no one could see the heavenly signs the saying was, “No man knows the hour or the day, not even the angles in heaven.”

Many a modern believer thinks that scripture is to be taken at literal face value with no account of how ancient languages were used and thus is the belief that no one will know when the second coming of Jesus will occur until it happens. Perhaps, but it is my opinion that those loyal believers (with oil for their lamps) will not only be ready but very much aware of the time when he will return. It would seem to me that many saints will know about 3 ½ years in advance. I am not here to argue this point or convince anyone. And if you do not want to consider this possibility that is your privilege. I am confident that he will not come within the next 3 ½ years.

The Traveler

There was in ancient Israel a great feast that occurred on the first day of the Hebrew new year. I believe the first day of the year was the first day following the first Sunday following the first new moon after the vernal (spring) equinox. In order for this to happen valid witnesses (two or more) of both the equinox and the new moon must give witness before a judge in Israel. So until the sign was given no one knew when the first day of the year would come.

A saying was among the people concerning this problem of waiting for the sign. The saying prior to the sign was “no man knows the hour or the day”. Which was not really true because many could very accurately guess when the sign of the equinox and new moon would occur. If, however, the weather was overcast and no one could see the heavenly signs the saying was, “No man knows the hour or the day, not even the angles in heaven.”

Many a modern believer thinks that scripture is to be taken at literal face value with no account of how ancient languages were used and thus is the belief that no one will know when the second coming of Jesus will occur until it happens. Perhaps, but it is my opinion that those loyal believers (with oil for their lamps) will not only be ready but very much aware of the time when he will return. It would seem to me that many saints will know about 3 ½ years in advance. I am not here to argue this point or convince anyone. And if you do not want to consider this possibility that is your privilege. I am confident that he will not come within the next 3 ½ years.

The Traveler

What is the significance of 3 1/2 years?

Thanks

L.H.

Also, 3 1/2 years is the length of christ's ministry on this earth (correct me if i'm wrong) and he was in the tomb for 3 1/2 days. Likewise, (on an almost unrelated note) the two prophets in the future spend 3 1/2 years in the middle east, and are killed by the "beast". They would then be left in the street for 3 1/2 days before being resurrected.

Perhaps, but it is my opinion that those loyal believers (with oil for their lamps) will not only be ready but very much aware of the time when he will return. It would seem to me that many saints will know about 3 ½ years in advance. I am not here to argue this point or convince anyone. And if you do not want to consider this possibility that is your privilege. I am confident that he will not come within the next 3 ½ years.

The Traveler

Excellent work Traveler. Your opinion is correct. We know from six Biblical references that the period of calamities (sometimes popularly called Armageddon) will last 42 months, 1260 days, or 3.5 years. We also know that during this time the adversary will reign with blood and horror on the earth, two witnesses will take the Gospel to Jerusalem, and Zion in her many branches and stakes will be spared, much like the children of Israel, like Lehi, Alma the Elder, the brother of Jared, 2 Nephi 5:5-6, and Omni 1:12-13.

Those who do not look for the Lord's coming, no matter how righteous, will be as the 5 foolish virgins unprepared that are caught 'as a theif in the night' ... starting with a world-wide economic collapse.

As far as when this 3.5 year period starts, it will be in about 10 years. No more. Until then, those who disobey Christ's commandment and refuse to study the words of Isaiah will be left in their ignorance and end up fulfilling exactly what Isaiah pronounced woes against, and subsequently fulfill all Isaiah's prophecies concerning Ephraim and the Scattering and Gathering of Israel.

Oh, and I came here looking for the ANSWER. B)

I put 6-10 years, because the Great Tribulation is supposed to last seven years, and I don't believe it's started yet. Armaggedon will likely only last a day, because mopping up should be a lot quicker than the original creation (1 to clean, 7 to make).

As far as when this 3.5 year period starts, it will be in about 10 years. No more. Until then, those who disobey Christ's commandment and refuse to study the words of Isaiah will be left in their ignorance and end up fulfilling exactly what Isaiah pronounced woes against, and subsequently fulfill all Isaiah's prophecies concerning Ephraim and the Scattering and Gathering of Israel.

Wher does the 10 year figure come from?

Thanks.

L.H.

...Those who do not look for the Lord's coming, no matter how righteous, will be as the 5 foolish virgins unprepared that are caught 'as a theif in the night'...

isaiah28, I'm confused by how you're using the term 'as a theif in the night'. I've understood this term to mean that the day of the Lord (his second coming) will be like a theif in the night. A theif never announces when he's coming to rob you, it's always a secret; so my understanding of this term is in reference to 'the day of the Lord' will not be announced, that's why you must always be ready.

M.

One thing interesting to me is that since the time that Jesus left there has been speculation when he would return. Usually it was thought to be soon and no longer than sometime during the next generation.

I do not like to speculate and I am left to wonder, as we have observed history; why someone thinks there has been a change to warrent speculation that the time is currently closer than 20 to 50 years away? From what I uncerstand of the days of Noah, we still have quite a lot of things to happen both for the good and in the build up of evil.

The Traveler

I agree with traveler, that those believers living 3 1/2 before His coming will know, possibly down to the day, because the countdown will start when the Anti-christ enters the Rebuilt Temple and declares himself God. But also we will probably have a good idea even seven years before-hand when the Antichrist enforces a treaty with Israel. So when some great European leader comes to power and promises to protect Israel, then mark your calenders.

But on the other hand, if we Pre-mils are reading things right, the Rapture will happen some time before that, it truly will come like a thief in the night...hopefully not my wedding night. :hmmm:

For us, the next big thing to watch for would be if Iran, Russia, Turkey and other Arab nations try to invade Israel and are destroyed by an act of God (earthquake, fire and brimstone scenario). This needs to happen at a time when Israel let's its guard down and feels at peace, so some argue that this only happen after anti-christ signs the treaty.

Israel is definitely not at peace right now, in fact they are very disolusioned, but I haven't heard of many suicide bombings lately, and who knows what the near future may hold. Perhaps this disolusionment could lead to apathy and a false sense of security--if it can happen in the U.S. after 9/11 it can happen anywhere! I read an article saying that the Jews feel like they've run out of options, that no matter what they do, their neighbors will always want to kill them. Perhaps they are more ready for their messiah than ever before.

-Red

Interesting that Islam also teaches that Jesus will return. From what I understand there is a war in which Christians and Muslims unite to destroy the non believers (this force wins), then Jesus returns, breaks the cross and tells the Christians to convert to Islam, half do and there is a war between the Muslims and what is left of the Christians and other forces (I believe Israel is part of that group) and then Islam wins, Israel is destroyed, and Jesus marries, has a family and dies 40 years later and is buried in Mecca.

The "theif in the night" analogy is interesting, because if you know he's coming... and you're asleep... you can't do anything about it. We'll know when the second coming isn't going to be...until all of the signs are fulfilled... but after they're fulfilled, it's all a matter of time. However, you could die tomorrow on your way to work. Always be ready.

Maybe the question shouldn't be about when he is coming, but whether or not we are ready for him to come. Think about your life. Think about the things you want to do. Now answer honestly you want to do those things before he comes back, right? Or does it matter? How many of us need to get our lives in order before he does come? Like the one before me said... be ready.

It is interesting to me and perhaps a bit of human nature that most focus on the negative. There are many positives things that will occur. Since there are many positive things that exist in LDS scriptures - I will leave this as an exercise for the readers. In particular pay attention to the gatherings that will take place among the gentiles. The other thing I suggest we focus on is the separation of Babylon from a "remnant" of Zion. In ancient times the concept of remnant has significance associated with "salvation" or the salvage and separating that which is of value from the dross. It is the dross that is destroyed. There are some interesting scripture symbols concerning what is dross and labeled for destruction and what is labeled of value to be redeemed.

How will the remnant be gathered? What will be the attractions (bate for the trap) of Babylon? How will G-d manifest his prophets as opposed to the false prophets of the anti-Christ. For helps I recommend the LDS institute student manuel "Old Testament" I Kings - Malachi. (see table of contents beginning with chapter 17)

The Traveler