Utah can't be that weird ...?

Hala401

Well, I had an absolutely lovely, event-less drive from Portland down to Provo. I must say that the traffic is really, A LOT! I love the Wasatch Mountains and wish I could live here. The Provo Temple is lovely, but I was disappointed to see all the fences around it. Still, I know why they are there.

It felt really odd to see the sisters that first taught me wearing jeans. I can understand though. Don't know if I ever will though. My Muslim conditioning is still very strong and of course there is nothing wrong with it either way.

My GPS hates Utah, with their strange address structure, but I think I finally understand now.

Really wanted to go down to far Southern Utah to see the parks, friends and things, but it would be another long day down there and back.

Stayed in a Super 8 last night, and watched cable TV. I don't have TV at home. Three of the channels were involved in survivalist "stuff". It felt really icky to watch a housewife learn to be a sniper and have a survival shelter put in her back yard.

Myself, I'll just be about my business and Heavenly Father can worry about the big stuff.

Any place seems weird when you first go to it. I think when I first came to Provo I thought some of the same stuff. :P Now that I've been in Provo for a while, it's still different, but I "get it" now.

The address structure is weird, but they're easy to model as "distance from the center of town." So, something like 900 E 700 N is 900 meters (or yards, I don't remember) east and 700 meters north of town center. In Provo, town center is near where they're building the new temple.

My GPS hates Utah, with their strange address structure, but I think I finally understand now.

The fun thing is where Utah stays true to the grid system (it seems to me that newer developments are not adhering to it) one really doesn't need a GPS.

Edited by Dravin

Any place seems weird when you first go to it. I think when I first came to Provo I thought some of the same stuff. :P Now that I've been in Provo for a while, it's still different, but I "get it" now.

The address structure is weird, but they're easy to model as "distance from the center of town." So, something like 900 E 700 N is 900 meters (or yards, I don't remember) east and 700 meters north of town center. In Provo, town center is near where they're building the new temple.

I saw the New Temple yesterday as we passed. We went to a performance of The Gondoliers, and then off to the Museum to see a display of mosty Shia, Persian and Ottoman art. It was quite interesting.

At the Portland Visitors Center, I ran into a Sister Missionary who's Mother organised that exibit and had wanted to meet her, but the staff were all gone on Saturday. I must say that the practice of modern day Islam, even Shia Islam is vastly different than what was practiced when this art was done. Still, I thought that the exhibit was quite nice.

I could easily see myself living in Provo, or anywhere in Utah.

The fun this is where Utah stays true to the grid system (it seems to me that newer developments are not adhering to it) one really doesn't need a GPS.

I was tempted to think that the LDS are so secretive and don't want outsiders here, but after my paranoia ran its course, I realised that it would be very easy to find one's way without a map. :)

I was tempted to think that the LDS are so secretive and don't want outsiders here, but after my paranoia ran its course, I realised that it would be very easy to find one's way without a map. :)

In the Salt Lake Valley, I agree the grid system is a great way to figure out where to go. Unfortunately, Utah County which encompasses Provo and the surrounding area, is much more difficult. The problem is that many of the cities have grown up into each other, and each city has its own grid system, generally emanating from the city's center. It gets really confusing to have to know where each city ends and the next one with a completely different grid system starts. It would be much less confusing if Utah County could wipe the slate clean on their grid and start over from scratch from the center of Provo. I know it will never happen, but it would really help outsiders if they did it.

Hala- don't stay in UT for too long... although it sounds as though it may be too late for you too!

My wife and I have visited UT several times now and have fallen in love... UofU is my #1 residency choice for Internal Med. We're determined to live there someday... so much to do, and (unsurprisingly) so many family-centric activities.... the icing on the cake is the fact that you can set off fireworks TWICE in the month of July....

I loved living there. It was wonderful! Sure theres stuff you dont or wont like but the family history center is there and you can go walk around temple square anytime. Church is always nearby. Usually walking distance. Whats not to like? hm oh ya the drivers!!!

And the seemingly endless road construction.

I loved living there. It was wonderful! Sure theres stuff you dont or wont like but the family history center is there and you can go walk around temple square anytime. Church is always nearby. Usually walking distance. Whats not to like? hm oh ya the drivers!!!

Not to mention the spectacular National Parks...quite a few of them. There is really a lot to do in Utah. It's not all about all the church stuff.

I first went to Utah after meeting my wife online at LDS Mingles. I flew in. She picked me up at the airports. Since then I have spent close to 2 months in Utah visiting as far south as Saint George, Moab, and Bryce Canyon. I've been all over the Salt Lake City area and married in Mt. Timpanogos Temple. My wifes family is from Clearfield and her dad works for the church. I love it there so much that my wife and I are moving in the next year to Utah. There is so much to do there and I've had no bad experiences with the people of Utah. I live in Vermont and love the green mountains and the fall foliage, but Utah has its grip on me!!

Wow - the address you picked in Provo was about one block from the home I grew up in - what was then the Provo 12th ward, East Provo Stake. Close to the address you gave is the meating house where I went to church (now over run with BYU student). I remember when that building was constructed and in the foundation there are secret passages - that I am betting no one there knows anything about.

There are many things I could tell you about Provo of long ago but that is a time forgotten.

But none the less having grown up in Utah - addresses everywhere else make no sense.

The Traveler

I love the grid system, and the wide roads. The city of Lehi is the only exception. I guess the founders decided that Brigham Young's mandate for straight wide roads was silly, and so that city is just plain goofy, especially because they still follow the numbering system, even though none of the streets make sense.

The fun thing is where Utah stays true to the grid system (it seems to me that newer developments are not adhering to it) one really doesn't need a GPS.

ya the newr stuff doesn't adherre to it... wish the cities would implement more incentives or something to stick with it.

Well, I had an absolutely lovely, event-less drive from Portland down to Provo. I must say that the traffic is really, A LOT! I love the Wasatch Mountains and wish I could live here. The Provo Temple is lovely, but I was disappointed to see all the fences around it. Still, I know why they are there.

It felt really odd to see the sisters that first taught me wearing jeans. I can understand though. Don't know if I ever will though. My Muslim conditioning is still very strong and of course there is nothing wrong with it either way.

Speaking of "things Muslim," my father and stepmother live in England. They told me that Muslims sometimes go and pray outdoors on the grounds of the Preston Temple. The temple workers asked them once why they prayed outside a Mormon temple, and the Muslims told them that even though it's a Christian site, they considered it holy ground, and suitable for praying. The temple workers told them they could pray there any time the grounds were open. :)

Really wanted to go down to far Southern Utah to see the parks, friends and things, but it would be another long day down there and back.

It's definitely worth a visit, when you get a chance. I like Arches National Park, and the Escalante wilderness.

Myself, I'll just be about my business and Heavenly Father can worry about the big stuff.

I hear ya! When the world gets to feeling too overwhelming, I focus on just tending my little corner of it.

Peace ;)

HEP

Also speaking of things Muslim. I have a good Muslim friend that was working for a while in Utah. He was Shia and often seemed to be very interested in the similarities in LDS doctrine and his own beliefs. One day during a deep religious discussion my friend paid me a very sincere complement and suggested that I would find few “adjustments” to live under Sharia law. I asked him somewhat concerning Sharia law making reference to the injustice that seems to be so prevalent in governments – Muslim or non-Muslim. I then asked for his opinion of where in the world I could go to find a people and society that best represented what it would be like to live under Sharia Law. After thinking carefully for some time he finely answered, “Provo, Utah”.

The Traveler