Phrases Passed Down From Generations Lol

StrawberryFields

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i once heard someone respond to the "clean your plate there are starving children in the world" argument with 'how is it going to help starving children if i get fat' sometimes your just full. :)

here are some i've heard here in the southeast

last time i saw you.... you were knee high to a grass hopper

..... turn'in flips on a soda cracker

When I was a kid, my Mom would say as she was leaving the house "See ya in the movies!" I do the same with my own family.

Other little tidbits my Mother would say were:

She's uglier than a mud fence!

One of these days you'll meet your Waterloo!

M. :)

Telling a child to be good.

"Mind your "P's" and "Q's"

Does anyone know what a P or Q is? :dontknow:

Here's the long version:

Mind one's Ps and Qs

To be very careful and/or to behave correctly. It is tied to the fact that the lowercase letters "p" and "q" mirror each other. This is a term from typesetters in the printing industry. In the days of lead type, letters were set individually into a page, and they were placed one by one, upside down. They were pulled from a typecase, in which each letter had a designated space to reside. Problems came when pages were being taken apart and letters put away. If someone was in a hurry or was not paying attention to what he was doing, he could end up with p's and q's in the wrong slots in the typecase, which he wouldn't notice until the next time he was putting together a page, when he would unknowingly pick out the wrong letter. (This could also happen with b's and d's, but as they are more common than q's, typesetters were more accustomed to finding them, and they were mixed up less often.) Hence, pay attention to what you're doing now, so that you don't give yourself problems later on. Alternatively, in England this phrase is also associated with "p'ease" and "'k you" baby talk for 'Please' and 'Thank you', hence "Mind your P's and Q's" is sometimes used to mean "Remember to say 'Please' and 'Thank you.'" Another less widely accepted origin of this phrase purports to have originated in England where, when patrons at a bar were becoming unruly, the bartender would remind them to, "Mind your pints and quarts." This has been shortened to the phrase, "Mind your P's and Q's."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_idiom...nglish_language

M.

S/he is dumber than a can of worms.

S/he is dumber than a stick.

If you aren't bleeding you can't cry. (for when we fell down and scuffed our shins/elbows/ hands)

See you later alligator - after while crocodile.

My dad used to say, "I'll give you something to cry about!", when I was unnecessarily crying. YES, he spanked.

SOOOOO did my dad (spank) ... I remember "WOULD you like something to cry about"

lol... what was I going to say? "Oh yes please "? ROFL

ohhhh and the ever popular..."this is going to hurt me worse than it hurts you" LIES ...ALL LIES!!!! ;)

When I used to ask my Dad for money he would say....." What do you think I have a money tree growing in the back yard...I can just run out there and get some"...

Am I the only one who got that saying?????

My Mom would say to me if I was sick...."If I could get some Castor Oil like your Grandma use to give to us that would take care of you".............I never had any castor oil.....I feel deprived......LOL!!!!!

When I was eating fruit as a child my family would say:

"Don't swallow the seeds or a tree will grow out of your mouth when you fall asleep."

"What do you think you are? The last Coca Cola in the desert?"

"One day we will look back on this and laugh!"

"What goes around, comes around."

"Crime doesn't pay."

"Its better to give than recieve."

"Two wrongs don't make a right."

When cutting class, "Playing hookie."

When serving food from a platter, "You take what you touch."

From parents, "As long as you live under my roof you will do as you are told."

"Don't stare."

"Don't talk to strangers!"