LDS Church buys property including Haun's Mill and Far West burial ground

I suppose it's only a matter of time before the LDS church will reacquire the Kirtland temple.

The good news is for the CoC organization: they've got a guaranteed buyer to buy LDS history assets that will preserve these historical sites.

CofChristCousin can probably speak as to this a little bit better, but I strongly doubt the Utah LDS will ever get control of the Kirtland temple. I understand the CoC's finances are not as shaky as we Utah Mormons would like to believe; and even though our views on the roles of temples differ I daresay the CoC does consider the Kirtland temple to be at least as sacred as we do.

CofChristCousin can probably speak as to this a little bit better, but I strongly doubt the Utah LDS will ever get control of the Kirtland temple. I understand the CoC's finances are not as shaky as we Utah Mormons would like to believe; and even though our views on the roles of temples differ I daresay the CoC does consider the Kirtland temple to be at least as sacred as we do.

As long as the Community of Christ holds the Kirtland Temple sacred, they will not sell it -- nor should they. If they reach the point that it's just a piece of property, and maybe even an embarrassment to them, the LDS Church will happily give them a more-than-fair price. Until that day arrives, if ever, I'm happy for the Community of Christ to own the Kirtland Temple, so long as they do hold it sacred.

As long as the Community of Christ holds the Kirtland Temple sacred, they will not sell it -- nor should they. If they reach the point that it's just a piece of property, and maybe even an embarrassment to them, the LDS Church will happily give them a more-than-fair price. Until that day arrives, if ever, I'm happy for the Community of Christ to own the Kirtland Temple, so long as they do hold it sacred.

I live in the Kirtland Stake, and I have frequent opportunities to visit out there. Recently, my ward held a special Monday-night FHE Sacrament meeting in the Kirtland Temple. The Community of Christ understands that we have a shared history and is more than happy to welcome us into the temple and authorize its use for sacred meetings like this, yet I've noticed that each time they do, one of their visitor center staff is always on-site in the meeting with us.

Sitting inside the main chapel waiting for the meeting to begin, I noticed several ward members taking pictures of the pulpits and beautiful windows on their cell phones. The CofC brother who was "chaperoning" us (for lack of a better word) came up to the front and asked everyone not to take pictures inside the temple. I hadn't been taking any, but it occurred to me that while the Kirtland Temple may be a "desecrated" site to many LDS, it's still considered very holy to the CofC, and we should respect that.

Further on that note, one of the people who spoke in that sacrament meeting was our stake patriarch, Karl Anderson, or "Mr. Kirtland," as referred to by President Hinckley. He shared an opinion that he considered the Kirtland Temple to be the second most sacred place on earth, after the Garden Tomb, because of everything that had happened there. I know many people who visit Kirtland say things to the effect that the Spirit feels so much stronger at the LDS-owed sites than in the temple, but I feel the opposite: Jesus Christ and God the Father appeared in the Kirtland temple -- at least 4 times that we know of. All priesthood keys from all dispensations were restored there. Joseph Smith helped build it with his own hands. There is nothing about the Kirtland temple that isn't sacred. Based on my experiences, I can confidently say that the Community of Christ recognizes the importance and gravity of that history (which is shared), and they respect the sacredness of that temple, at least as much at the LDS do, sometimes even more.

(Sorry if that sounded soap-boxy...it wasn't meant to, at least not toward any one person.)

I agree with the above post. I go to Nauvoo on average of 5-6 times a year. I go to Far West and Independence evry couple of years, was just there last summer. I am happy we bought Hauns Mill. Last time I was there it was not easy to walk around the place. Felt like I was on a Safari and needed to chop woods and debris out of my way.

I also have been to Kirkland several times and been in the Temple. One of my trips there we asked our guide if we could go up to the Third floor. He told us to come back after 5pm and he would take us. We went back and he took us to the 3rd floor and into the basement of the Temple. We felt the Spirit in every corner of the Temple. Awesome

When we go to Nauvoo we spend much of our time at the Smith Homestead. Sitting there on a bench looking over the home, the red brick store and the the mansion house and the graves and looking out at the River. The spirit is very strong and very relaxing.

When I go to Nauvoo with my friends we dont take many tours of anything. When I go with my wife we do some tours.

I have been moved by some posts in this thread. I have been to many historic places of the restoration – often in my travels associated with work. In Vermont not far from the church property of Joseph’s birth is a country store where Joseph Sr. and Lucie met. The country store is still in operation (not by the church) and not much has changed – it is still heated in winter by an old pot belly stove what was there long ago when the Smith’s met for the very first time.

But the place that has most moved me the most is the cemetery lot by the temple and visitors center at Winter Quarters in Florence Nebraska (not owned by the church but the church maintains it). Very few graves are marked but there is a large monument with the data on some of the saints buried there. For several weeks I was returning home through the airport at Omaha – I took extra time to spend some hours at Winter Quarters. I was reading through the names and information when I was hit by the startling reality that often names were quite similar and in pairs. The number of such pairs was overwhelming – then I realized that that names were mothers and new born babies – most within days of birth. One in every five persons at Winter Quarters that first winter died. The vast majority of which were obviously young mothers and their babies. I had never realized before the great cost of innocence paid for Zion and the settlement of the West. I have suffered some – but nothing like the saints at Winter Quarters – especially those that went on to Utah – among who was one of my ancestors that left behind his wife and two children at Winter Quarter.

The Traveler

• 4 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing what your church does with Haun's Mill. You do such great work restoring historical sites for all believers in the Restoration to enjoy.

I started my experience with the LDS at Kirtland Visitor's Center, with Sister Missionaries and attended Kirtland Stake Center from March of 2011 until June of 2011, so I have some familiarity with the area. So, can you tell me where Haun's Mill is in relationship to the Visitor's Center? I am waiting with bated breath for our church to purchase the original Temple.

I started my experience with the LDS at Kirtland Visitor's Center, with Sister Missionaries and attended Kirtland Stake Center from March of 2011 until June of 2011, so I have some familiarity with the area. So, can you tell me where Haun's Mill is in relationship to the Visitor's Center? I am waiting with bated breath for our church to purchase the original Temple.

Haun's Mill massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

***BTW, I am not from Kirtland. I chose the name "Kirtland Saint" because the teachings of the church in the Kirtland era best represent my own beliefs.

Haun's Mill massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

***BTW, I am not from Kirtland. I chose the name "Kirtland Saint" because the teachings of the church in the Kirtland era best represent my own beliefs.

I will have to say that I am almost a dripping wet Mormon, so do not know as much of the back story as I would like to. Can you explain some of the salient points of the differences in our beliefs from that time to today? We don't really need to talk about Polygamy unless you deem it important.

I will have to say that I am almost a dripping wet Mormon, so do not know as much of the back story as I would like to. Can you explain some of the salient points of the differences in our beliefs from that time to today? We don't really need to talk about Polygamy unless you deem it important.

I have made it a point to not discuss polygamy. You guys say it OK at times. I don't. 'Nuff said...

One difference would be Temple rites. I, personally, believe the washings and annointings done at Kirtland are correct and will be re-instituted when the Temple in Zion in built.

I believe, as the "Lectures on Faith" teach, that Heavenly Father is a a personage of perfect Spirit, and Jesus is a personage of perfect tabernacle (flesh).

The main differences are ideas advanced in Nauvoo vs. prior church teachings.

I have made it a point to not discuss polygamy. You guys say it OK at times. I don't. 'Nuff said...

One difference would be Temple rites. I, personally, believe the washings and annointings done at Kirtland are correct and will be re-instituted when the Temple in Zion in built.

I believe, as the "Lectures on Faith" teach, that Heavenly Father is a a personage of perfect Spirit, and Jesus is a personage of perfect tabernacle (flesh).

The main differences are ideas advanced in Nauvoo vs. prior church teachings.

These are all doctrinal matters that I have not been taught. I will learn them as I am able and Heavenly Father permits.

I'm pretty jaded concerning religion. I just had not seen people who did not preach exclusivity and exclusionary ways. Some of these people are puffed up at their own importance and neglect the very words of Heavenly Father, and Jesus Christ. I am convinced that people come up with complicated and hard to follow secret rules for the purpose of avoiding doing what Jesus Christ told us to do.

After I left the evangelical church, I fully expected that their hell would freeze over before I ever addressed the Jesus issue again. I became Muslim and in spite of the fact that Muslims and myself are as flawed as anyone else in the world, I knew that I loved God and him I would worship until I died and I hoped he would hasten the day.

Then I ran into Missionary Sisters in Kirtland and I tell you plainly that the day I found that I would eventually have to meet with Elders, that was nearly a deal breaker for me. Yet Heavenly Father's unfailing love expressed through those sisters eventually wore me down because I now believed that our church was the first one I had ever seen that tried as hard as it could to teach what Heavenly Father wanted, the words of Jesus Christ, the crucifiction, and him risen. There was kindness in that church that I had never experienced in my life.

I don't judge our church on past doctrines. I judge our church by who we are today and how we handle things about us right now. That is all that is important.

I am glad you have found a place to belong in the LDS Church. It makes my heart leap for joy that you now have the Book of Mormon in your life. Its value is beyond compare in understanding the love that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for each of us. May you be blessed as you study its words and in your journey in the LDS Church. Hopefully, I will get to meet you in Zion someday.

Edited by KirtlandSaintinZion