Cola drinks

Is it okay for Mormons to drink cola drinks?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay for Mormons to drink cola drinks?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • For medicinal purposes only.

I look at the relative caffeine content, as well as the relative health effects of the food or beverage in question. Cola is a no for me because the health effects are negative. Caffeine messes up a person's sleep cycle in high doses, and I believe a high dose is when it works as a stimulant to keep you awake. Sodas dehydrate you, not to mention all the crap the dark drinks to your system. I almost never drink sodas because of that, and the carbonation just makes me uncomfortable for hours. Energy drinks are even worse, they have so much caffeine and other stimulants. I'd rather listen to my body, which tells me when I need sleep (and if I need to stay up, then I'd rather exercise self-control). Granted, I'm only 23. I can still function on relatively little sleep. :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure we all hear the caffeine and cola thing a ton. I think really it's a personal thing. Certainly we can agree that since it isn't a Temple Recommend question there hasn't been any specific doctrine set down yet. But since we have to ask the question and we know that caffeine is a stimulant and is addictive, and Prophets have made statements about it's use, we ought to conclude that it will one day be doctrine. I think it's a personal thing. How do you feel about it, if you think it's OK, drink it, if you think it's not, then don't. Personally caffeine makes me sick so I pretty much avoid it. But I love caffeine free Pepsi, Coke and Dr. Pepper.

Wait a minute. I thought the WOW said no hot drinks, and that has been interpreted to mean no (black) tea or coffee.

It either says what it means and means what it says or it doesn't. No where does it say 'no caffeine' or 'no cola.'

Pres Monson will have to pry my diet Pepsi out of my cold dead hands before I give it up.

...As a result of my past religious experiences, I still feel that Pork is Haraam, but that is just me.

I feel that bacon is yuuuuum, but that is just me.

There's this nifty thing called turkey bacon for those who don't eat pork and even for those who do. :)

M.

Edited by Maureen

Wait a minute. I thought the WOW said no hot drinks, and that has been interpreted to mean no (black) tea or coffee.

It's been interpreted to mean tea. Any distinction between black or green or white is has not come from the pulpit that I'm aware of.

Edited by Dravin

It either says what it means and means what it says or it doesn't. No where does it say 'no caffeine' or 'no cola.'

Pres Monson will have to pry my diet Pepsi out of my cold dead hands before I give it up.

There isn't any flat out commandment against cola products, but some leaders of the church have suggested that we abstain from caffeine. I think the WoW is a good starting guideline to eating healthy. There were a lot of stuff that wasn't available back then, that we have now, and that can still be harmful when consumed.

I enjoy the occasional diet Dr. Pepper and green tea sometimes and energy drinks some times and I use a pre-workout supplement that has caffeine in it. I am a fitness freak, but moderation is the key to most of these things. I don't drink coffee, black tea or alcohol or use tobacco....

I do notice that while many do well at avoiding the evils of diet Dr. Pepper, green tea, energy drinks, etc....really, really struggle with eating meat sparingly. Holy cow, at some of the plates of food on 5th Sunday potlucks and the size of those faithful Saints that are eating them and heading back for more.....WOW indeed.

It's been interpreted to mean tea. Any distinction between black or green or white is has not come from the pulpit that I'm aware of.

I thought we could drink herbal tea. That's what they told me in Gospel Principles and I've given herbal tea to missionaries.

I thought we could drink herbal tea. That's what they told me in Gospel Principles and I've given herbal tea to missionaries.

My point was not that you can't steep things in hot water. You specified black tea in your post. There has to my knowledge, been no break down of green/white/black tea, which are all just different treatments of the Camellia sinensis plant.

Edited by Dravin

My point was not that you can't steep things in hot water. You specified black tea in your post. There has to my knowledge, been no break down of green/white/black tea, which are all just different treatments of the Camellia sinensis plant.

Agreed--I've never heard Church leaders specify black tea. All I've heard them say was "tea" in general, but that herbal infusions are okay.

I specified black tea to differentiate it from herbal tea, and 'cause I never think of white or green tea (tried both, didn't like them), but I get your point.

I specified black tea to differentiate it from herbal tea, and 'cause I never think of white or green tea (tried both, didn't like them), but I get your point.

Sometimes missionaries or Gospel Essentials teachers can use language that unintentionally creates a distinction. For instance I could see a missionary using black tea as a distinction to herbal tea but an investigator or new member wouldn't necessarily know that they didn't specifically mean black tea. If it's your short-hand no worries, I just wanted to make sure the official position (or rather lack there of) was explicitly clear for both your case (even though it turns out you didn't need any clarification) and the peanut gallery. :)

Edited by Dravin

I know that yes is the correct answer to the poll. No is just my personal opinion. Way back in 1967 when I was first baptized, it seems like cola drinks were differently against the word of wisdom. But, I could be remembering wrong. Now the church suggests that we don't drink them, or advises against them. Not sure of the proper wording.

I also remember the years supply of food and water being two years. Not just one. But, again, I could be remembering wrong. After all I was away from the church for 30 years. Brother Ray.

Edited by circusboy01

I've seen so many people in my church drink soda, Coke, and even coffee (not hot!), that I don't even worry about this issue anymore. When I first got baptized it was a huge issue for me, I would fret endlessly about it. Everyone seems to interpret this differently. The guy who interviewed me before baptism even told me that it was okay to drink caffeinated sodas, just not hot drinks... gaaah!!! Every Mormon I ask gives me a different answer. I give up, LOL!!!! :D

Even the couple who introduced me to the Book of Mormon drink hot drinks (teas, mostly herbal). And the guy was a mission president for 3 years!

Maybe it means drinks that are TOO hot. I remember my mom used to drink coffee so hot that she could barely take small sips. Brother Ray

This discussion about caffeinated drinks reminds me of one I was in years ago about whether Christians should drink sparkling apple cider in public. The argument went that it could appear to be champagne or sparkling wine, and might cause others who see us to stumble (hey, isn't that guy a Christian--and he's drinking, so one won't hurt me, even though I'm a recovering alcoholic). I thought the standard was more than a bit much, though I'd never deny others their personal convictions. The problem with these is that they can become local convictions, and then sources of self-righteous spiritual pride, if we're not careful.

I thought only our church was told to stay away from alcohol. Nice to know that your denomination uses the same wisdom Brother Ray

Is it okay to drink cola products?

I don't drink carbonated beverages, so soda pop is not something I consume. I didn't officially vote but I'd say YES. Everything in moderation I suppose, although, I believe there are certain things the Lord would decline. Are Cola drinks in that Certain category? It's all speculation.

I have asked my hubby many times about the specifics of the temple recommend questions. Those questions are not only to prepare us for the temple, but also for the celestial kingdom. If soda drinkers will not be allowed in the celestial kingdom, then they would not be given temple recommends. Plus my husband drinks soda, and he is the one asking the questions, and has recieved quite a bit of direction concerning the specifics of the recommends...and my bishop drinks like 3 a day and has no problem discerning the spirit, and I have a testimony of that. So, do I think it's okay? Yes. Do I think it will always be okay? I don't know, the Lord has a habit of raising the bar, so... But I also think it is important to have it in moderation. Self-discipline is so important. I think one reason we have a regular fast period is to remind us not to put anything on the earth ahead of our relationship with the Lord, including food and drink.