Science Fiction writing non offensive to the LDS

Hala401

I must say that this encounter with the LDS has been an affair of the heart for me in a very special way. I just can not express it strongly enough. Finally, after a life time of searching for Heavenly Father, it seems as if I am finally on the right track. I hope that my words do not sound like silly infatuation.

I am also a writer. I started writing as a way to journal and work out my angst over several life issues, and I have written quite a lot; more than I suspected I would. I'm not a university english major, so I know that there are perhaps some sentence structure problems in what I write. Adding to that was my years of being with ESL folk.

Along the way, starting with my LDS experience, I wrote a Science Fiction story that was intended to be a comedy but as it developed became more serious and and contemplative. The first edition of it, about 7000 words, did not mention the LDS at all, but LDS folk would easily be able to understand who I'd written about.

I have just rewritten it, and now the references are less oblique. And I discover that my protagonists have become more certain of their faith. This was supposed to be the end of it but now I find my muse pressing me for another installment. It sometimes feels like my older sister is nagging me. LOL

So, now I come to the heart of the matter. I do not plan to drop the reference to the LDS in the next installment, and need to decide how I will handle the end times, since the story goes past the end times and into a very speculative future that I want to be quite optimistic.

How can I write this story in such a manner that I will not be offensive to the church that I have fallen in love with? Oh, I know that I sometimes complain about some things that I am trying to work out, but would never want to be seen as being offensive to Heavenly Father or his Church.

Heavenly Father has used The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to absolutely rescued me, and in some ways has become the "Husband" that I no longer have. I'm having to learn to think for myself but must say that for nearly for 58 years, never made major decisions on my own. I really need your input.

Here's a site that describes LDS sci fi authors in great detail. Perhaps by looking at others from the church you will get a better idea of what is acceptable and admired.

Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in Science Fiction

Nice site! I was startled to see Octavia Butler on the list. lol. One of my favorite authors. Not LDS, just referred to them in one of her books.

I would definitely check out Orson Scott Card and how he deals with this issue in his own writings. He often writes of the church and people in the church but not by name or including the churches name. He has done it quite successfully for many years.

I read his, "Ender's Game" and I don't recall even oblique references to church, but that has been, well, a long time ago. For some reason, the rest of the books of that series just did not hook me. I'm thinking I will probably stick with references that only an LDS member would recognise.

:)

You need to do what's right for the story you are writing. Do not worry about offending people. One lady at church hates Ender's Game because in her mind it's plagiarizing the Book of Mormon. I did not get that at all. You can also ask for divine inspiration for the story. It works.

No, Ender's Game is nothing about the Book of Mormon. The series about the BoM is called "The Homecoming" saga. Those books are basically the Book of Mormon in fiction.

Ender's Game is a science fiction book that has nothing to do with LDS and doesn't mention anything about it. The Alvin Maker series is a fictionalized account of early Church history.

It was the Alvin Maker series that made me a Card lover. I had to read it in one of my classes in college and loved the books and read them when I was a young member (about 6 months) so I did not recognize the JS story in it.

I loved Ender's Game--they are in the process of making a movie about it and I'm excited to see the production.

I also loved Enchantment--it's about Baba Yaga, a Slavic witch. The book is replete with Russian which I love.

Ever heard of "Battleship Gallactica"? Written/produced, and I think he even directed some episodes, by a Mormon. Steven J. Cannel (I hope I spelled that right, if not, oh well.)

I did, but it just did not connect with me. Perhaps too many cliff hangers.