Bapstising

Hala401

I am not very happy with the way the Colonies treat the word Baptize. Baptizing, Baptized, and Baptismal.

The spelling seems irrational and without decent rules. Baptize is spelled with a z, along with Baptizing, while Baptismal is with an s. It all seems dreadfully inconsistent, and I am not pleased with the letter zed anyway.

It is interesting because the email asked if I was Canadian, but upon entering the website, that message was no longer present.

So, this whole matter is another of my silly pranks, so no getting mad at me. :)

I'm actually American, but feel like American treatment of the English language is messy and not consistent.

:)

We have the weird pronunciation of the English s to thank for this: our English baptize is from the ancient greek, βαπτίζω, which is transliterated as "baptizo." Combine that with the fact that the English s can buzz like a z in some words (much unlike the Spanish s, for instance), you get that confusion. In all cases, it seems like baptize was spelled in all tenses so that it sounded like the Greek word when using the standard English pronunciation rules.

Hidden

It is interesting because the email asked if I was Canadian, but upon entering the website, that message was no longer present.

So, this whole matter is another of my silly pranks, so no getting mad at me. :)

I'm actually American, but feel like American treatment of the English language is messy and not consistent.

:)

English is messy and inconsistent.

No moreso that the British dialect. In fact, many linguists have proclaimed that, both in structure and in pronunciation, modern American English is closer to Shakespeare's Elizabethan English than is modern British English. Since that is the general time period when modern English more or less stabilized, that makes American English at least as "authentic" as the British variant.

Spelling is another matter, of course, but is related. As much as you may dislike some American spelling, it often makes a lot more sense than British spelling, doing away with appended but silent "ue"s and dropping needless spelled diphthongs for a simple "e", e.g. "foetus" vs. "fetus".

The bottom line is that English spelling is a mess and will probably remain as such, given the varied background from which we draw our vocabulary. Criticizing American (or British) spelling is criticizing deck chair arrangement on the Titanic.

I was wondering what colonies we were talking about too.

I have grown quite disgusted with the way politics are going here in the US, and the fact that grown men can not even come up with a budget. Calling us colonies is simply my way to express my distaste at the present state of affairs.

Make no mistake. I am a patriot, and have served in the military. It angers me that these bad leaders send our sons and daughters overseas to die in battles in which we do not belong.

It's also not correct. And in fact, it's insulting. Basically, you are saying we are still under Great Britain's rule. "Here, George Washington and all the other patriots--let me slap you in the face."

And you were in the military but you have issues with wearing pants?

I'm teaching my kids to spell. Every day before practice, we start out with a good healthy vent about how horrible the english language is, and why it's totally normal and appropriate to hate everything about it.

"Hmmm - we need a word to indicate when we have a sufficient amount of something. And because it's english, we should make sure it makes the "f" sound, but has no "f" in it. Instead, we'll make "gh" say "f"! Yeah! I love the word 'enough'!

Don't even get me started on c's and k's.

There is no such thing as American English. There is English, and there are mistakes.

Yeah, I was willing to accept that just on the principle of the thing, until I found out that the New England English accent is actually closer to what the Brits were speaking in 1776, than what the Brits speak now.

Required viewing for anyone who wants to laugh uproriously while getting a brief rundown of the english language:

The History of English in 10 Minutes