Unofficial definition of "active" LDS

Backroads

So Husband was telling me about his day at a military training. He got into a conversation with another soldier over Spanish, which led to them discussing their respective Spanish-Speaking LDS missions. Other soldier then asks husband if he is technically LDS or considers himself active LDS.

Since Husband can't get to church regularly due to current job, Husband replied "I haven't been able to go in a while due to work, but yes, I consider myself active LDS".

I know that might not fit the attendance requirements of active LDS, but my husband does pray daily and we do scripture study and the like.

So, in a purely opinion-type question, how do you define being active?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I define active as doing your best to attend your meetings, the temple, keep your covenants, and the commandments. Sometimes because of jobs attending meetings every Sunday isn't possible. Sometimes because of health issues attending every Sunday isn't possible. That doesn't mean you're not active. It just means life is throwing us a bump in the road and we have to work harder at being "active" in other areas.

So Husband was telling me about his day at a military training. He got into a conversation with another soldier over Spanish, which led to them discussing their respective Spanish-Speaking LDS missions. Other soldier then asks husband if he is technically LDS or considers himself active LDS.

Since Husband can't get to church regularly due to current job, Husband replied "I haven't been able to go in a while due to work, but yes, I consider myself active LDS".

I know that might not fit the attendance requirements of active LDS, but my husband does pray daily and we do scripture study and the like.

Being LDS means more than attending Sunday service, especially when job obligations prevent it. I think the more definite dividing line is whether or not you pay tithe. You can't consider yourself active if you don't pay your tithe.

Compare actively:

1. Attending church every Sunday

2. Attending temple regularly

3. Magnifying callings

and contrast with actively:

1. Praying and communicating daily and frequently with the Lord

2. Reading and pondering scriptures daily and frequently

3. Fasting often with full purpose of heart

We can do our duties as called upon in the first three examples, but it is in the last three examples where we truly come unto Christ and build a literal relationship with Him. I have observed that many attend church each Sunday or most Sundays, but seldom attend the temple or magnify our callings and there are many more who seldom fast often, make scripture study a time of feasting and include fervent supplication with the same frequency and diligence as we do with our daily meals and snacks.

Being LDS means more than attending Sunday service, especially when job obligations prevent it. I think the more definite dividing line is whether or not you pay tithe. You can't consider yourself active if you don't pay your tithe.

Really? You don't consider someone who attends all of their church meetings as being active unless they pay tithing? How about someone who attends church but still smokes? Or someone who uses profanity or takes the Lord's name in vain? I have never met anyone involved in the church who has ever expressed this sentiment before. Where did you come up with that?

In this question I am reminded of the verse in Matthew 6: 21,

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

God not only judges us according to our deeds; He also judges us according to our hearts and the intent of our hearts.

I believe a person is able to be outwardly active, while inwardly their hearts are far from being active, or near to the Lord.

The Zoramites were outwardly active on Sunday and attended their worship service every Sunday, with a loud and vocal prayer. However, as we know in scripture, they then forgot about the Lord throughout the week until Sunday worship again.

I am also reminded of the verse in connection to giving with Mosiah 4: 24,

*I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.

As with your husband, duty calls him other places on Sunday, yet within his heart and intents, it appears he is with the Lord. Active. Or in other words he says within his heart, "I would attend each week if my Sundays were open, however they are not open so I cannot attend."

I think this sentiment is very different than a person who could attend and chooses not to, or person like the Zoramites who do attend but God is far from their heart.

Really? You don't consider someone who attends all of their church meetings as being active unless they pay tithing? How about someone who attends church but still smokes? Or someone who uses profanity or takes the Lord's name in vain? I have never met anyone involved in the church who has ever expressed this sentiment before. Where did you come up with that?

I didn't have to look far:

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Matthew 6:21)

The covenant to pay tithe is made before receiving a baptism of water, as are the promises to attend Sunday service and obey the word of wisdom. As pointed out, sometimes work prevents us from attending church, and that is acceptable. In the case of not being able to keep the WOW due to natural weaknesses, we are able to repent and try again. But in the matter of tithe, we are making a conscience decision to not pay. Our heart is with the money and not with the obligation. And the parable of the widow's mite removes any argument based on actual poverty.

Well, this thread is about personal[/ii] definitions of "inactive". I think people can have whatever personal definition they wish.

Quite right, my own personal definition is based on the desire for green jello with carrots... I'm inactive.

In broader terms and since the LDS church teaches that faith is a verb (or in other words an action word), than "inactivity" in the church would be defined as a lack of faith, which translates to a lack of action or of doing what our faith demands.

So someone who fails to get themselves to church, fails to pay their tithe, fails to keep the WOW, fails to pray, or fails to serve is inactive in the faith. The only thing that reactivates a person is repentance through partaking of the sacrament.

Therefore, the minimum requirement to be considered active in the LDS church must be partaking of the sacrament. Those who do not, must be perfect in every other aspect of their covenants and promises and obedience to God and Christ.

I just wonder why we have 'personal opinions' on whether a person should be considered inactive. Is it a way to sit in judgment? Is it a way to ahmm hmmm well cant think of any other logical purpose.

Perhaps we might ought to ask what our opinion is of people who want to define their opinion on what constitutes faithfulness. Well my opinion on that is that I probably wouldnt like them much not really wanting to be around people that I have to perform properly, in their opinion, for.

I just wonder why we have 'personal opinions' on whether a person should be considered inactive. Is it a way to sit in judgment? Is it a way to ahmm hmmm well cant think of any other logical purpose.

Perhaps we might ought to ask what our opinion is of people who want to define their opinion on what constitutes faithfulness. Well my opinion on that is that I probably wouldnt like them much not really wanting to be around people that I have to perform properly, in their opinion, for.

Why do you suppose it must mean one person is making a judgment of another?

Can't it simply be one person teaching another?

As for my 'teaching', I consider it general, not personal.

Edited by Bensalem

A "doer" not a "talker" . I don't associate being "active" with Church attendance per se because just like any other religion, many people just go to Church to warm a seat, use it as a social club or be present just in "body" during a meeting.

what are you teaching them by deciding they are inactive in your opinion? why is it necessary to decide that to teach?

My only opinion in all this is that what I am teaching is true doctrine.

Each individual must decide for themselves if I am presenting true doctrine, remembering that we are our brother's keeper and that it is the doctrine that condemns not the teacher.

My only opinion in all this is that what I am teaching is true doctrine.

Each individual must decide for themselves if I am presenting true doctrine, remembering that we are our brother's keeper and that it is the doctrine that condemns not the teacher.

So being inactive is immaterial. Exactly. Or am I to understand that you mean you are teaching them that they are condemned? Doesnt sound like any lessons I ever heard at church, except once when my grandparents took me to a nearby church where the preacher shocked me by swearing a LOT and telling us, repeatedly, that we were all 'damned to hell'. His words not mine! I swear!

Is that along the line you mean?

So being inactive is immaterial. Exactly. Or am I to understand that you mean you are teaching them that they are condemned? Doesnt sound like any lessons I ever heard at church, except once when my grandparents took me to a nearby church where the preacher shocked me by swearing a LOT and telling us, repeatedly, that we were all 'damned to hell'. His words not mine! I swear!

Is that along the line you mean?

As I said, each person must decide for themselves.

As for the word "condemnation", I accept the presentation given by many a missionary, which states that "damnation" can be thought of as a dam that retains water, aka, blessings from reaching those who are not obedient.

If what I teach condemns, it is only because it must be true.

It seems you take offense at my lesson of obedience to the covenants every saint has made at baptism. Are you suggesting the better lesson is to say it doesn't matter if a saint ignores his promises to God?